PDA

View Full Version : Got a HDTV and WOW.. the 360 proper rules

Peoples-Agent
08-20-06, 07:34 AM
Just hooked up a 32" LCD TV and ran the 360 for the first time in the HD modes, and all I can say is WOW!

Fight Night 3 looks absolutely stunning on this thing, can now see what the fuss is about.

The 360 is nowhere near asgood without one, what a difference.... and for the first time me and the girly are hooked on Oblivion, been playing it allday lol

Toss3
08-20-06, 09:05 AM
Just hooked up a 32" LCD TV and ran the 360 for the first time in the HD modes, and all I can say is WOW!

Fight Night 3 looks absolutely stunning on this thing, can now see what the fuss is about.

The 360 is nowhere near asgood without one, what a difference.... and for the first time me and the girly are hooked on Oblivion, been playing it allday lol
Yep the xbox360 games look so much better on an HDTV than on a regular one. :) I personally prefere how some games look on my regular TV compared to my lcd-screen, but that might just be because I'm not running a proper hd resolution. Enjoy your new TV!(gonna steal it from you soon! :D)

Mr_LoL
08-20-06, 09:21 AM
What tv did you end up getting?

Peoples-Agent
08-20-06, 01:39 PM
What tv did you end up getting?

http://www.lowestonweb.com/Products/DisplayInfoMain.asp?e=F0EB3E33-62D1-479C-BF53-77958C37A92D

Picked this one up from Evesham for 649. Did have another one for 549 but the response time was 10ms instead, so I thought what the hell and went one step further. They throw in a free , 3 yr warranty instead of the usual 1 yr and all.

Cracking price for the spec of this thing.
HDMI/HDCP supported, 8ms response time, 1000:1 Contrast ratio.
Picture in Picture is pretty cool, was watching the footy scores roll in whilst playing a game. lol

Only thing i'm worried about now, Oblivion crashed earlier when outside on a horse in the rain. Whole system just completely froze up after a shed load of loading and had to turn the fecking thing off then back on again. Weird, not had this trouble with any other game.

GamerGuyX
08-20-06, 02:08 PM
You using the component or VGA cable for the 360? Also, what did you set your output res to?

EDIT: Nevermind, that set doesn't seem to have component inputs.

hordaktheman
08-20-06, 02:15 PM
Since it's a 1366x768 display, you might wanna look into getting the VGA cable for your 360. It absolutely blows 720p component out of the water, since the 360 will be doing the scaling (rather than the TV) and it eliminates overscan, which is an absolute killer when it comes to image quality on LCDs.

In my case, I'd even go as far as saying that it improved the image more than the jump from SDTV to HDTV.

Peoples-Agent
08-20-06, 03:25 PM
You using the component or VGA cable for the 360? Also, what did you set your output res to?

Component inputs? ... yeah it does.

Using the Component cable... one with the purple , red and green for HD.

Set it to 1080i, looks and plays awesome.

Got a DVI / VGA connector on the back too but haven't tried that yet.

sharangad
08-20-06, 03:34 PM

Yes it does:

"Input 5 YPbPr (720p/1080i)"

GamerGuyX
08-20-06, 03:39 PM
Component inputs? ... yeah it does.

Using the Component cable... one with the purple , red and green for HD.

Set it to 1080i, looks and plays awesome.

Got a DVI / VGA connector on the back too but haven't tried that yet.

Why would you set the 360 to output 1080i when 360 games are 720p? What your doing is redundant. The 360 is upscaling all games to 1080i and then your TV is downscaling it back down to it's native res. Your suppose to pick the output res to whatever is closest to your screens native res. In this case: 720p.

t6_shadow
08-20-06, 03:40 PM
I just purchased my New LCD 2 days back. Its amazing I was playing on a 17 inch monitor but now a 32" from about 6 feet away is spectacular. :). Its a prima but after putting it beside the Toshiba and the Sony in the store I could honestly not tell the differance image quality wise.

Peoples-Agent
08-20-06, 03:51 PM
Why would you set the 360 to output 1080i when 360 games are 720p? What your doing is redundant. The 360 is upscaling all games to 1080i and then your TV is downscaling it back down to it's native res. Your suppose to pick the output res to whatever is closest to your screens native res. In this case: 720p.

Some games support 1080i ...so does the TV, so why not use it if they look better?

GamerGuyX
08-20-06, 03:53 PM
Some games support 1080i ...so does the TV, so why not use it if they look better?

So your telling me that you would rather have 2-3 games look better than the majority?

hordaktheman
08-20-06, 04:03 PM
Support 1080i, yes, but (as far as I know) it's all rendered at 1280x720 in the frame buffer. What basically happens is that 1) the console renders the image at 1280x720, 2) scales the image to 1080i and outputs to your TV, which 3) scales it back down to 1360x768 (screen's native res).

So the steps you're going through are 1280x720 > 1920x1080 > 1360x768, instead of the 1280x720 > 1360x768 which is ideal. You're adding an unnecessary step into the equation, and so both degrading the image and getting a lesser framerate (due to interlacing).

Edit: But as I mentioned above, the absolute ideal method is to have the console output the image at your TV's native resolution, so that the 1280x720 > 1360x768 conversion happens on the console rather than the TV. But for that you need the VGA cable.

Zelda_fan
08-20-06, 04:09 PM

Actually, that depends on how good the TV's scaler is. If the XBOX360 renders the image at 1080i and the TV scales it back to 720p, it could have an Anti-Aliasing effect IF the scaler is decent. Since downscaling algorithms are fairly simple, I wouldn't be suprised if his TV had a decent downscaler on it.

Upscaling, on the other hand, is where it starts to get interesting. However, to get decent upscaling you'll need a high-end video processor which will cost around $1000+. But the cool thing is that you could take a 480p image (the Wii for example) and upscale it to 1080p, and it would simulate some degree of High Definition.

Lfctony
08-20-06, 04:37 PM
I was using the included component cables for my TV, and I was disappointed. Then I read that some TVs have a problem with those, so I went and got myself a VGA cable. The difference is like night and day, simply amazing. HDTVs are a must for the 360 imho...

crainger
08-20-06, 09:40 PM
Edit: But as I mentioned above, the absolute ideal method is to have the console output the image at your TV's native resolution, so that the 1280x720 > 1360x768 conversion happens on the console rather than the TV. But for that you need the VGA cable.

Also for some setups, having the Console do the conversion means there wont be any sound sync problems. This can happen when the console outputs the sound to a reciever and the picture to the TV, which then takes a split second to scale the image equaling a tiny bit of lag.

If your reciever takes both audio and video you will be right, same for if your TV has a digital in so it can resync the audio and video.

Zelda_fan
08-20-06, 09:51 PM
Also for some setups, having the Console do the conversion means there wont be any sound sync problems. This can happen when the console outputs the sound to a reciever and the picture to the TV, which then takes a split second to scale the image equaling a tiny bit of lag.

If your reciever takes both audio and video you will be right, same for if your TV has a digital in so it can resync the audio and video.

Most decent A/V equiptment can compensate for sync problems

crainger
08-20-06, 09:59 PM
Most decent A/V equiptment can compensate for sync problems

Well I only have a set of Logitech 5500s. So it was a problem, but I now have the digital audio running through the TV on its way to the 5500s. Worked like a charm.

evilchris
08-21-06, 11:11 AM

Set output to TV's native res, or closest to it.

Peoples-Agent
08-21-06, 01:28 PM
Set output to TV's native res, or closest to it.

720p looks cool too, hmm

Change it depending on game I suppose.