PDA

View Full Version : Trying to remove nVidia GeForce 6200 OC

td5k
08-20-06, 10:57 AM
Well, I'm back. After having noone help me with a certain aspect of installing the nVidia, in my other thread(after bumping it about 3 times) I decided to go ahead and install it.

I had no problem physically installing it.

Well, here's what happened.

-I installed the card physically. Went into Windows, and tried to install the nVidia drivers from the supplied disc. About 3/4 through the installation, it locked up, and I had to do a hard reboot. Then, I just downloaded the latest drivers from the nVidia site, installed those without any problem, and rebooted. I tried connecting my monitor to my nVidia card, but I couldn't see a thing.

-I eventually stop trying to ask for help here, and just forget about the crappy card. I tried uninstalling it via device manager. I disabled it via device manager(the nVidia) and rebooted. Then, I couldn't see anything with my monitor connected to my Intel(onboard), so I connected it to the nVidia, and I could see Windows. Of course I was at a **** resolution(and still couldn't change the nVidia card settings, such as resolution, colors), so I went back into Device Manager, re-enabled it, and rebooted. Around this time something else started. Whenever I reboot, I can't see Windows. I can't see the loading screens, but that's all. As soon as Windows loads, I can see my account screen, and see everything else fine. Anyways, I re-enabled the nVidia, and my Intel worked again. I gave up on trying to uninstall this card, because it seems doing so disabled my Intel for some reason. I let it go.

-Today, while playing SWAT 4, my game locks up, and I can see a Windows error(even though I still can't get out-game, the error is mostly visible) about a driver. This has happened to me 2 times before with SWAT 4, and all I had to do was either reboot, or reinstall the latest Intel drivers and my PC would go back to normal. That wasn't the case today. I had to do a hard shutdown, and when I rebooted, ALL of my foldes were reorganized. Also, all the icons/file names had blue backgrounds. I also now have an accessable nVidia control panel, and desktop manager(before, I only had a desktop manager, which wouldn't even run). Now, I have a real problem. Whenever I move my cursor to the right of the screen, it isn't stopped. In fact, it can easily dissapear. Also, I can't drag windows to the extreme right or bottom of my screens(you know, you're working on something, say, a .txt file, and you have to check something else out. you lower the .txt window down to the taskbar area, it dissapears, and whenever you want to access that window, you just click on it in the task bar, and it re-appears.)because they dissapear. mIRC for example. I drag it down so that the top of the window is covered by the task bar. Usually this just makes the window dissapear, and I can make it re-appear by clicking the mirc instance on the task bar. However, now it just dissapears off screen, and I can't get it back. Same for any other window I drag off screen. It gets lost, and I have to log off or reboot to view those Windows on my screen again.

*EDIT* Just found out why. Apparently, nVidia also enabled DUAL MONITORS. That's why stuff is dissapearing of screen.

What the hell can I do here? I must get rid of this crappy card. My video card drivers are screwed.

Windows XP SP2
Intel Pentium 4 CPU
2.93 GHz
512 MB RAM
Intel 82915G/GV/910 GL Express Chipset Family

nVidia GeForce 6600 OC PCI

I'm having big problems here. Now I can't access my Intel GFX settings, just the nVidia ones. And this is on my Intel! I can't even printscreen my various vid card settings and post them here, because the images are so big (dual monitors/desktops) they crash my photo editors! I go to my GFX properties in Windows, and the nVidia is considered to be connected to "Default Monitor" as opposed to my Intel which is connected to my Plug-N-Play.

I'm so screwed right now. What should I do? Should I attempt a System Restore from the most recent checkpoint? Uninstall the nVidia, uninstall it's drivers, reboot in Safe Mode, use Driver Cleaner to remove all remnants of the nVidia drivers, and hopefully when I reboot my Intel will work properly again?

I have a feeling attempting to remove this nVidia via uninstalling it and removing all it's drivers is going to permanently disable my Intel.

I really need help here.

nrdstrm
08-21-06, 12:11 AM
Jesh...Where to start.

OK...First of all, after you put the new card in, BEFORE you booted to windows, you should have connected your monitor to the video card NOT your onboard. Had you plugged in to the nvidia, booted (yes, with a horrible resolution) into windows, installed the driver, and restarted....All would have been fine. You installed an Nvidia driver while the onboard video was running...That is a no no...The rest of what you did is a bit strange, so I'll just try to offer a solution...
Uninstall ALL of your video drivers (both INTEL and NVIDIA). To get completely rid of the NVIDIA drivers, follow this guide http://www.overclock.net/faqs/12466-info-nvidia-driver-cleaning-guide.html
, or guides available here (did you actually look around the forums for solutions to your answers? Or did you just ask in the forums? The "Search" fucntion at the top does wonders :) )

After the drivers (all of the video drivers) are uninstalled, turn off the PC and connect your monitor to the Nvidia card (again, when you boot it will be a horrible resolution). If for some reason you can't boot to windows with that card, try safe mode. Once in windows, Install the drivers you DOWNLOADED (NOT the ones on the disc). Reboot. Your problems SHOULD be solved unless your card is defective.

As to the "Nvidia selected dual monitor" thing, I call BS...You MUST have messed around with the settings, as Nvidia Drivers enable single monitor support by default...

Hope this helps, and good luck...

**EDIT** It would also help if you posted this in the appropriate forums (the video card forums perhaps?). You would have received many more replys...

**EDIT 2** Is that really a 6600 OC "PCI" card? Or is it a "PCI-E" card? I havn't seen the 6600 OC in a PCI format, but if it exists, please let me know... I would love to offer that as a viable solution to people with no PCI-E or AGP ports at work...

nekrosoft13
08-21-06, 06:42 AM
omfg, thats one funny post. how can anyone mess up something that simple is beyond me.

turn pc off, install new card, connect the monitor to the card, turn on the pc, install driver, reboot.

td5k
08-21-06, 06:49 AM
Jesh...Where to start.

OK...First of all, after you put the new card in, BEFORE you booted to windows, you should have connected your monitor to the video card NOT your onboard. Had you plugged in to the nvidia, booted (yes, with a horrible resolution) into windows, installed the driver, and restarted....All would have been fine. You installed an Nvidia driver while the onboard video was running...That is a no no...The rest of what you did is a bit strange, so I'll just try to offer a solution...
Uninstall ALL of your video drivers (both INTEL and NVIDIA). To get completely rid of the NVIDIA drivers, follow this guide http://www.overclock.net/faqs/12466-info-nvidia-driver-cleaning-guide.html
, or guides available here (did you actually look around the forums for solutions to your answers? Or did you just ask in the forums? The "Search" fucntion at the top does wonders :) )

After the drivers (all of the video drivers) are uninstalled, turn off the PC and connect your monitor to the Nvidia card (again, when you boot it will be a horrible resolution). If for some reason you can't boot to windows with that card, try safe mode. Once in windows, Install the drivers you DOWNLOADED (NOT the ones on the disc). Reboot. Your problems SHOULD be solved unless your card is defective.

As to the "Nvidia selected dual monitor" thing, I call BS...You MUST have messed around with the settings, as Nvidia Drivers enable single monitor support by default...

Hope this helps, and good luck...

**EDIT** It would also help if you posted this in the appropriate forums (the video card forums perhaps?). You would have received many more replys...

**EDIT 2** Is that really a 6600 OC "PCI" card? Or is it a "PCI-E" card? I havn't seen the 6600 OC in a PCI format, but if it exists, please let me know... I would love to offer that as a viable solution to people with no PCI-E or AGP ports at work...

If you read the topic title, you'd see that I want to remove this vid card. I have no use for it anymore. I want to use my Intel onboad vid card for now, and eventually I'll get a new power supply and a 7600 GT. As for dual monitors, I did not enable them. When I rebooted after the driver screw up, I had them. After trying to install new Intel drivers, I couldn't get into Window's, so I had to revert to my last known good configuration. I'd like to add that when I connect my monitor to the nVidia, I can see the other "desktop" or monitor, which is obviously totally empty.

I want to get this vid card out of my PC for good. Can you explain to me how I would do this without risking my Intel not functioning?

nekrosoft13
08-21-06, 06:56 AM
Go to home depot, buy the biggest pliers you can find, grab the card and start pulling.

On a serious note: you had two monitors, because you have TWO VIDEO cards installed.

mcolbourn
08-21-06, 10:17 AM
I think what happened is that most Intel boards if you install a PCI Video card use the card as the second monitor. Thatís because it will not disable the onboard video by default, unlike if you install a PCIE card. Therefore you needed to check in the bios and disable on-bored video. I know a few PC's at my work we had fun installing PCI graphics cards on as they had no PCIE slots (mini desktop cases). If your bios does not let you disable the on-board graphics then, boot into windows and use the multi display to put the nivida card as monitor 1, then disable the onboard via device manger.

But to answer your question use driver cleaner in safe mode to remove all Nvidia drivers. You may wish to also uninstall the intel ones and then boot back into normal mode and re-install the intel drivers.

td5k
08-21-06, 11:56 AM
I think what happened is that most Intel boards if you install a PCI Video card use the card as the second monitor. Thatís because it will not disable the onboard video by default, unlike if you install a PCIE card. Therefore you needed to check in the bios and disable on-bored video. I know a few PC's at my work we had fun installing PCI graphics cards on as they had no PCIE slots (mini desktop cases). If your bios does not let you disable the on-board graphics then, boot into windows and use the multi display to put the nivida card as monitor 1, then disable the onboard via device manger.

But to answer your question use driver cleaner in safe mode to remove all Nvidia drivers. You may wish to also uninstall the intel ones and then boot back into normal mode and re-install the intel drivers.
I don't want the nVidia anymore, so I wouldn't want to disable my onboard Intel. I want to use the Intel primarily, and I want to remove all nVidia components.

Can someone help me with removing the nVidia drivers and what not, without disabling my onboard Intel?

nekrosoft13
08-21-06, 11:59 AM
are you blind also?

he answered your question.

"But to answer your question use driver cleaner in safe mode to remove all Nvidia drivers. You may wish to also uninstall the intel ones and then boot back into normal mode and re-install the intel drivers."

mcolbourn
08-22-06, 05:38 AM
are you blind also?

he answered your question.

"But to answer your question use driver cleaner in safe mode to remove all Nvidia drivers. You may wish to also uninstall the intel ones and then boot back into normal mode and re-install the intel drivers."

Yea I think I did also :) but I just added my 2pennys worth of info into the problem that he was getting..

td5k
08-22-06, 08:00 AM
Alright, I'll give it a shot.