PDA

View Full Version : Profile problems, please help!

patrickjs89
08-21-06, 01:05 AM
I've just recently discovered the use of profiles under my control panel, and I thought it was amazing of the anti aliasing use and anisotropic in Call of Duty 1. I went to go try it out on my other games, such as Guild Wars. I made my own profile for it, maxed out the AA and aniso, but nothing changed whatsoever when I booted up my Guild Wars game. I re-created the profile over and over, and nothing seemed to work. I also took note that when I saved the profile and I closed out of my control panel, it wasnt on my list when I went back. I tried downloading nHancer, but all it does is give me errors when I installed, and when I used the program, every time I clicked on a new button or something, it would give me more errors. What am I doing wrong, do profiles work for EVERY game out there, or just a select few? Please help!

I use a 6800gt, AGP 4x/8x with the latest drivers, 91.31

Grestorn
08-21-06, 01:14 AM
I've just recently discovered the use of profiles under my control panel, and I thought it was amazing of the anti aliasing use and anisotropic in Call of Duty 1. I went to go try it out on my other games, such as Guild Wars. I made my own profile for it, maxed out the AA and aniso, but nothing changed whatsoever when I booted up my Guild Wars game. I re-created the profile over and over, and nothing seemed to work. I also took note that when I saved the profile and I closed out of my control panel, it wasnt on my list when I went back. I tried downloading nHancer, but all it does is give me errors when I installed, and when I used the program, every time I clicked on a new button or something, it would give me more errors. What am I doing wrong, do profiles work for EVERY game out there, or just a select few? Please help!

Which version of nHancer did you try? What kind of error messages do you get?

For the latest version see this posting in the nHancer forum (http://www.nhancer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=148).

patrickjs89
08-21-06, 01:49 AM
I cant even install the Microsoft .NET Framwork, it will install but then abort itself at the end, telling me the installation failed.

Grestorn
08-21-06, 02:21 AM
I cant even install the Microsoft .NET Framwork, it will install but then abort itself at the end, telling me the installation failed.

Then you've got a serious problem with your Windows installation.

I'd recommend a repair installation of Windows. If you're not comfortable doing that yourself, you should try to find some expert who can do that for you.

gram_vaz
08-21-06, 02:43 AM
If you're overclocking revert to stock speeds. Windows Updates doesn't like unstable ocs.

patrickjs89
08-21-06, 10:27 AM
I can easily repair my Windows, I built my computer myself and have reformatted and such in the past. I dont OC my card either, my card came OC'ed though since BFG does that to their cards. Thanks for all the replies!

Just 1 more question, does this profile work for every game out so far?

Grestorn
08-21-06, 11:23 AM
Just 1 more question, does this profile work for every game out so far?

The profile mechanism works for almost every game available. There are only very few apps where it doesn't work, mostly because the game doesn't use an unique executable.

Lateley Prey was known to cause problems, because the profile doesn't work reliably all the time for that game. This problem seems to be unique to Prey though.

patrickjs89
08-21-06, 12:29 PM
I just tested out my Call of Duty : United Offensive, which was not on the profile list by defualt, and it worked fine. The AA and Anisotropic worked perfect. I then again tryed Guild Wars, Oblivion and the AA and Anisotropic never applied.

Grestorn
08-21-06, 12:37 PM
I just tested out my Call of Duty : United Offensive, which was not on the profile list by defualt, and it worked fine. The AA and Anisotropic worked perfect. I then again tryed Guild Wars, Oblivion and the AA and Anisotropic never applied.

I'm using Oblivion all the time. The profile works everytime (I'd immediately see if AF wouldn't be active). I don't know what's wrong on your system.

Is CoD a OpenGL based game? Maybe your system has a problem activating profiles for Direct3D games?

patrickjs89
08-22-06, 12:06 AM
I'm definitley going to reformat tommorow morning. I just tested all this profiling on my dads computer, which uses a cheap GeForce 4 MX 440, and I tested it on Guild Wars and worked fine, even though the settings were 4x AA and 2x Ansiotropic, but either way, it worked. It even saved itself to the profile list. Perhaps something is wrong with my system, so I'm just going to reformat and get everything out of the way.

Also on a side note, I am forced to run my card at 4x AGP because nForce 3 ultra 939 boards are not fully compatible with the 68xx AGP version cards. If I run 8x, it just crashes out but runs smoothly on 4x?

If all this still continues after my reformat, I'll just go on ahead and buy a 7800 GS, since they are made AGP.

patrickjs89
08-22-06, 04:03 PM
I reformatted, and I still cant get anything to work on my games. I guess I'll just let them be for now until I get a new video card, because my card works fine except for the AA and Anisotropic I cant get to work.

What a shame.:(

Grestorn
08-23-06, 12:46 AM
I reformatted, and I still cant get anything to work on my games. I guess I'll just let them be for now until I get a new video card, because my card works fine except for the AA and Anisotropic I cant get to work.

What a shame.:(

There has to be something else. Can you force AA and AF in the driver's global settings and get a result in Oblivion etc.?

(Note that Oblivion doesn't support AA if you've enabled HDR-Rendering in the game!).

patrickjs89
08-24-06, 02:43 PM
I am teh nub. There is a lame ass option in Guild Wars called " enable POST PROCESSING EFFECTS ", so I turned it off and everything just turned on!

Grestorn
08-25-06, 03:39 AM
I am teh nub. There is a lame ass option in Guild Wars called " enable POST PROCESSING EFFECTS ", so I turned it off and everything just turned on!

;)

Glad it's working now!