PDA

View Full Version : Unstable Windows keeps restarting PC due to graphics card?

fatshady
08-21-06, 03:57 AM
I have a new PC wqith a Geforce 7600 PCI-e card in it - when I installed the drivers which came with the card the PC started restarting. I have updated to the latest nvidia drivers, and the problem is persisting...

MS recovery tells me it is a problem with the graphics drivers - anyone else having problems?

I'm running XP32 bit on an AMD 64 4600X2 - the gfx card is an ASUS 7600..

The problem is "STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER" from MS site - surely the driver should work without having to shut off hardware acc? See here - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=293078

TIA

Dan

jlantzy
09-05-06, 12:08 AM
I'm getting the same thing when playing the 64-bit version of Far Cry.

My basics:

Athlon 64 x2 3800
1 GB Corsair
MSI K9N (nforce 570 platinum)
eVGA Geforce 7600 GT KO video card
Windows XP 64 (all drivers up to date, including updated BIOS)

I'm starting to think the crashes have something to do with lighting effects. I didn't start getting them until I reached levels where the lighting was shifting to dusk or darkness. The last two that occurred both happened when I zoomed in my binoculars towards a spotlight. I've tried playing around a little bit with the settings (Far Cry's autodetect sets everything to HIGH, so I've bumped down texture and lighting a bit) but it's frustrating to troubleshoot when it makes the machine reboot every damn time.

One guy said the problem was fixed when he disabled EAX; I don't have a Creative card (just using the onboard audio that ships with the k9n) so that won't work for me. I recall reading somewhere else that the problem disappeared for another guy when he went from 1 GB of RAM to 2 GB. That seems dubious to me; not sure why not enough RAM would cause a stuck thread.

LycosV
09-05-06, 12:31 AM
fatshady: Did it do it without any nVidia drivers? With just the default Windows ones?
Jlantyxy: Just because you're using onboard doesn't mean you're not using EAX. Make sure you're not set to reboot after a crash so that if it blue screens you can see what it says. That way you can get a better bead on the problem.

fatshady
09-05-06, 02:29 AM
Hmm - I have found out that it was not the driver error depsite windoes throuwing it up as one. I had mismatched RAM modules - I had 2x1GB sticks that were not matched, but when windows died it insisted it was the graphics driver.

It wasn't - my DDR2 memory needed to be matched to work properly...