PDA

View Full Version : 6600 not booting!

rhorn
08-21-06, 10:32 PM
Okay, here's what's up. I have a passively cooled Nvidia 6600 (specifically this (http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/VGA/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=1246)) that doesn't seem to be working.

What lead up to this:
I was running Doom 3 at Ultra High resolution. At some point in time, I paused it to go off and do something else for what I thought would be a short amount of time. It took me longer than I anticipated.

I got back, and the monitor was in Powersave mode. The machine was crashed, and some sound sample was looping over and over.

Anyway, I rebooted, and it didn't boot. It still doesn't boot with this card in the machine. The monitor just stays in Powersave mode. It seems to get stuck in POST. The hard drives spin up and the DVD drive is checked, and nothing else after that happens--not even the familiar beeps. I know it's the video card because I can downgrade to my old video card (bleh!) and everything works just fine.

Any ideas?

gram_vaz
08-22-06, 12:02 AM
Yup, the GPU is dead. The same thing happened to me when my 6800GT died. I was playing DOD:S and the monitor went into power saving mode and the audio was looping/stuttering. From then on i couldn't get it to boot, lights would come on but it didn't look like it was loading Windows. Time for RMA.