PDA

View Full Version : Vid card problem? or Cpu?

criticalfish
08-21-06, 10:36 PM
I dont know if this is a video card problem or a cpu problem... but recently, at random times, playing games, listening to music, or just booting up my computer, I get a screen full of what you see on the left and the bottom http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/6930/newwindowsbitmapimagezb3.th.jpg (http://img241.imageshack.us/my.php?image=newwindowsbitmapimagezb3.jpg)

and my entire computer freezes... I dont know why but this time (when i took the screen shot) it didnt freeze.. and that stuff went away as I moused over it...

this is an nvidia 6800 ultra (agp) I have had for a while now....
if its the cpu, thats an amd 64 fx-51

the only reason i think it could be cpu, is that this happened once while the computer was still booting up... (before the logon screen and such)

its become more frequent as time has progressed....

and no, the web site I was on, I was only on, checking if my cpu temp was normal, i am not overclocking my cpu

Rytr
08-21-06, 10:49 PM
Appears to be a video card problem.
On a more positive note, could be just a heat problem due dust buildup on the heatsink and fan. May just need cleaning.

Rayman1968
08-21-06, 11:42 PM
I had the exact same problem once with a 9800 Pro. Would even happen on boot-up like yours. The card died about 4 months after the problem appeared.

criticalfish
08-22-06, 01:15 PM
Ya, I think my card is gonna die soon, I mean, I have had it since 6800's were the best new thing out.... and I run my computer pretty much 24/7...

You think it could be that my video card is underpowered?

I have a 450w Power supply with the following being powered by it

2 Hdd's (one sata one ata)
6800 ultra 256
asus sk8n mobo
Sound Blaster X-fi xtreme music
1gb of ram in 2 512 chips
3 fans that light up and 2 more that dont
the cpu is amd 64 fx-51
and 1 dvd+rw drive

CaptNKILL
08-22-06, 01:21 PM
I think I've seen that before.

Clean all the dust out of the fan and the heatsink. I had a massive clog of crap in my 6800GT heatsink and it caused all kinds of problems.

You might want to try some new drivers too.

If that doesnt do it, you're probably looking at a dieing video card. :(

$n][pErMan
08-22-06, 09:52 PM
Also worth noting... have you had the video card overclocked or volt-modded? That will kill the lifetime (at least the volt-modding will). Also as everyone said... clean the fan and heatsink out. I clean my computer out with compressed air once and month. Keeps the temps down... ;)

criticalfish
08-23-06, 12:41 AM
I don't have it volt modified, I keep the fan/heat sync clean (also use air canisters) it stays at a nice 56c gpu temp 39c ambient...

I use coolbits2 and then the built in "manual overclocking" and then just use "detect optimal frequencies"

its at 423mhz core 1.14ghz mem

Rytr
08-23-06, 04:58 PM
What is the GPU's temp under load? Just a few more suggestions.

I suppose the warranty is up and the only other thing I can think of is the loss of contact between the gpu and the sink. There are a number of things that can cause this to happen so you might check the contact area and then apply some fresh thermal compound.

Also, if you have not done so, check the heatsink fan and see if it is maintaining constant RPMs. 56C at idle is about normal for a lot of cards in the 6800 series but your problems seem to be at higher loads when booting up, playing games, etc.

criticalfish
08-25-06, 07:39 PM
nope, the temps stay good, heres the thing...

It only happens when I'm in this one area in World Of Warcraft...

Its when im fishing... and there is alot of green around me,... thats where it almost exclusivley happens... I have stayed away from there, and it hasnt happened for 2 days