PDA

View Full Version : 6150 DVI-HDMI output to AV receiver

asliu23
08-22-06, 12:18 PM
Hi All,

For a while, I had my 6150 motherboard (MSI K8NGM2-FID) connected directly to my TV via DVI-HDMI cable running at 720p. And, all was good.

I just got a new A/V receiver Sony STR-DG800 that has HDMI passthrough. So, now, the 6150 is connected to the A/V receiver which is then connected to the TV via HDMI. After a cold restart of the PC, everything is fine. I have a scheduled task on this PC to do a defrag and reboot every morning at 3am - it then goes back into S3 standby on its own after 30 minutes. I noticed this morning that when I turned on the PC that I got no picture on the TV - the PC was definitely on though, as sound to the receiver was working. But, it just seemed like the DVI output was not working.

I found that if I had to do a hard reboot to get the picture to come back.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

One theory of mine is that if the 6150 wakes up and doesn't see anything connected to the DVI output (since the AV receiver is off) that it won't output anything?

saturnotaku
08-22-06, 05:13 PM
I'm not sure if this will work for desktop systems, but you might want to try downloading this fix (http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10761). The condition you're describing sounds similar to what a lot of laptop users have experienced.

asliu23
08-23-06, 12:14 PM
Hi,

I think that the problem is that with the receiver OFF, it does not pass the EDID information from the TV to the PC. So, when the PC reboots, it doesn't see any EDID information and gets freaked out.

I think that there are 3 solutions :
1) bypass the receiver - plug the DVI output of the PC into the TV
2) don't bypass the receiver, but have to leave it on all the time
3) don't bypass the receiver, but get an external DVI detective

I'm currently just using solution (1) since it's the cheapest, and I don't really have the need for the HDMI switching of the receiver yet... Though, if I do get another device that outputs HDMI, I'll likely pick up the DVI detective.