PDA

View Full Version : Official PS3/Wii ebay thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

Zelda_fan
08-22-06, 03:01 PM
Seeing that Sony decided to cut production by 1/5 of what it was going to do originally, I'm seriously considering getting into this PS3 ebaying thing.

However, a few problems that I have, and any advice would be appreciated:

where can you pre-order a PS3?
what do I do if I haven't sold anything on ebay before and I have zero feedback?
In your honest opinion do you think there will be a mass shortage of PS3s come launch day?
If the PS3s don't sell, can I return it to the store for a refund?

Thanks.

Zelda_fan
08-22-06, 03:06 PM
by the way if you have any moral problems with this, just keep your mouth shut and stay off the thread. This thread is for business only.

superklye
08-22-06, 03:07 PM
Good questions...I'm foaming at the mouth at the thought of suckering some PS3 fanboy into paying 3x the value at launch.

Maybe I can scrape together the funds if they can still be preordered somewhere.

Zelda_fan
08-22-06, 03:10 PM
Good questions...I'm foaming at the mouth at the thought of suckering some PS3 fanboy into paying 3x the value at launch.

Maybe I can scrape together the funds if they can still be preordered somewhere.

The thing is I have a decent bit of money saved up. If I could pull a magus and sell five of them at 3x the price, hot damn that's like 6 grand of profit. However, I'm a tad afraid that the price tag may be a bit to much for people to handle. It's one thing to pay $1200 for a 360, but another thing entirely to pay $1800 for a PS3.

Zelda_fan
08-22-06, 03:12 PM
Another thing is people may underestimate the Wii. Remember when the DS was released? Around Christmas time the thing was going for like $300-$400 a pop.

Bad_Boy
08-22-06, 03:46 PM
Seeing that Sony decided to cut production by 1/5 of what it was going to do originally, I'm seriously considering getting into this PS3 ebaying thing.
what are you talking about? they always said 6 million at the end of the fiscal year, and 2 million worldwide at launch.

|MaguS|
08-22-06, 03:55 PM
The thing is I have a decent bit of money saved up. If I could pull a magus and sell five of them at 3x the price, hot damn that's like 6 grand of profit. However, I'm a tad afraid that the price tag may be a bit to much for people to handle. It's one thing to pay $1200 for a 360, but another thing entirely to pay $1800 for a PS3.

PS2's went for 2 grand at launch on ebay...

Toss3
08-22-06, 04:19 PM
Oh you're underestimating the stupidity of some people. :D Have you ever taken a good look at what's beeing sold on Ebay? It's freaking rediculous how much money you could make on people's idiocy. You really don't have to worry since idiots, strangely enough, seem to have a lot of money on their hands, so getting 1800$ for a ps3 wouldn't suprise me at all. I believe that there will be an even bigger shortage since I don't think Sony has enough time to make some 2million consoles(this is based on things I read in another thread). :)

npras42
08-22-06, 04:39 PM
I'd just like to say sell with caution on ebay if you're a beginner.

There are a lot of non-payers about and if these launch consoles hit their peak prices on the night after launch (as expected) and you do a one-day auction, then a non-payer who says they will give you 1200-1400 for the console and then not pay will cost you quite a bit of money. You will end up re-auctioning the day after and could easily lose 200-300 off the price you would have gotten the night before.

Anyway, my advice is simple, always put the stipulation of 10-15 feedback minimum.

Also, I don't think PS3 production has been cut down to a fifth. They will most likely have 2 million for launch. They have better facilities than MS used, and they have around two weeks longer for production. MS got 1.5 million out at launch IIRC. By New Years they will probably have another million or so consoles out and by 1st March '07 another 2.5-3 million. Thats about 5.5-6 million consoles by end of fiscal year 2006, which is what they already said was their aim.

Zelda_fan
08-22-06, 05:18 PM
what are you talking about? they always said 6 million at the end of the fiscal year, and 2 million worldwide at launch.

I thought it was 10 million by the end of 2006?

superklye
08-22-06, 05:19 PM
If you file a non-paying bidder complaint eBay doesn't charge you and lets you relist for free.

Also, you can have it set so they have no choice but to use Paypal and that they have to pay immediately. Until they DO pay, the item is still available for someone else to come along and snatch up.

Zelda_fan
08-22-06, 05:20 PM
If you file a non-paying bidder complaint eBay doesn't charge you and lets you relist for free.

Also, you can have it set so they have no choice but to use Paypal and that they have to pay immediately. Until they DO pay, the item is still available for someone else to come along and snatch up.

Yeah I would never ship the thing until I saw money in the bank.

brady
08-22-06, 05:20 PM
Nice thread. I was thinking of starting something like this myself. I too would like to know where people are pre-ordering. I'm gunna try to get into the ps3 ebay biz too.

Zelda_fan
08-22-06, 05:21 PM
PS2's went for 2 grand at launch on ebay...

Magus where did you pre-order your PS3's at?

|MaguS|
08-22-06, 05:30 PM
I thought it was 10 million by the end of 2006?

Nope, They stated from the beginning that it would be 4 million by the end of the year and another 2 million in early 2007.

As for where I preordered mine, I got all 5 preodered at 5 different stores in my area. I got an EBGames and a Gamestop by my job so those two are the ones with the full deposit down.

Mr_LoL
08-22-06, 05:50 PM
Well I have 1 on preorder at the moment. If I could sell one for a healthy profit, i will be able to afford that decent hdtv I have been eyeing up. places like Argos, Comet and Pcworld are yet to start taking preorders. I am watching those sites like a hawk at the moment.

Mr_LoL
08-22-06, 05:52 PM
Zelda fan. Get an ebay account now and start selling things. You will need a good feedback rating if you want serious $$.

J-Mag
08-22-06, 06:03 PM
Zelda fan. Get an ebay account now and start selling things. You will need a good feedback rating if you want serious $$.

Is it against EBay's terms to post Heatware evaluation links?

Zelda_fan
08-22-06, 06:04 PM
Is it against EBay's terms to post Heatware evaluation links?

but the average noob has no clue what heatware is.

superklye
08-22-06, 06:13 PM
Nope, They stated from the beginning that it would be 4 million by the end of the year and another 2 million in early 2007.

As for where I preordered mine, I got all 5 preodered at 5 different stores in my area. I got an EBGames and a Gamestop by my job so those two are the ones with the full deposit down.
Do those guarante you one on launch day, or just guarantee the chance to get one on launch day?

I know they pull that **** with game releases where you pay, but it doens't mean you're getting one...you just have the chance to get one as long as you get there early enough or whatever. It happened to a bunch of my friends with Halo 2.

Am_I_Evil
08-22-06, 06:25 PM
i'm gonna http://forums.megadeth.com/images/smilies/lol.gif when some of you people who pre-ordered a bunch get the shaft and maybe don't even get 1....there's 2 million at launch...you think there won't be over 2 million pre-orders? http://forums.megadeth.com/images/smilies/lol.gif

and obviously they will still sell some in store (line/camping out, etc...) meaning even less than 2 million will be available to people that have preordered...

same thing happened with the 360...lots of people got completely screwed...and didn't get their system for months...

Zelda_fan
08-22-06, 06:32 PM
i'm gonna http://forums.megadeth.com/images/smilies/lol.gif when some of you people who pre-ordered a bunch get the shaft and maybe don't even get 1....there's 2 million at launch...you think there won't be over 2 million pre-orders? http://forums.megadeth.com/images/smilies/lol.gif

and obviously they will still sell some in store (line/camping out, etc...) meaning even less than 2 million will be available to people that have preordered...

same thing happened with the 360...lots of people got completely screwed...and didn't get their system for months...

that's why I created this topic. To discuss ways of getting around this.

J-Mag
08-22-06, 06:35 PM
but the average noob has no clue what heatware is.

Maybe so, but for the few that do it can't hurt (unless ebay gets pissed). I bet many of the active trading forums will ban the sale of PS3's because it causes problems. At least anandtech did it for the 360.

|MaguS|
08-22-06, 06:47 PM
None of them are 100% reserved really for me till the games are priced and the packages are made but most places hold it since I put such a large amount over a normal $50 recommend deposit.

I will probably just pick up 2 games per console and keep the games I want (maybe just get 10 different games if there are that many I like).

CaptNKILL
08-22-06, 07:09 PM
None of them are 100% reserved really for me till the games are priced and the packages are made but most places hold it since I put such a large amount over a normal $50 recommend deposit.

I will probably just pick up 2 games per console and keep the games I want (maybe just get 10 different games if there are that many I like).
The deposit actually counts toward the cost of the console right? Not just for a chance to buy the console at full price.

Also, how much did you put down for a deposit? And if you later dont want the thing or want to cancel the preorder, do you get that money back?

I really think these things are going to be going for insane prices like the Xbox 360 did... so with a little money I have saved in the bank, I'm thinking I should probably try to get one or two of them and then resell them.

Why not? There isnt a chance in hell that I wouldnt get at least what I paid for the thing... in fact, I guarantee that on eBay these things will be going for $200 over retail minimum.