PDA

View Full Version : Building a Linux Box

six_storm
08-23-06, 12:16 AM
Hello all. I just recently moved to another town for college and I found an older motherboard/CPU/RAM that I used to have for a test rig/storage server back in the day (Windows 2000 Pro ran flawless on it). I've been wanting to dive into Linux, just to know my way around the place but I've never really had the hardware to do it on. So I thought to myself when I found the mobo today, Why not just build a small storage server with something like Ubuntu on it?

I wanna be able to run Ubuntu smoothly when working on it, but I also want it to be a good storage server for back-ups and such. I just don't want it creeping around like an old person driving on the interstate :D.

So, I need a PSU, case, CD-ROM drive and a hard drive to complete this . . . however, I don't wanna spend a ton of money. Why should I spend a lot, especially since it's older hardware? So here's where I need some help. I went on NewEgg.com and priced just some decent looking stuff and came to a bill of $123 after shipping and all. It includes . . .

WD 80GB HDD
Lite-On CD ROM Drive
Raidmax ATX Case
Rosewill 300Watt PSU

Is this the best deal that I'm going to get? Or should I just buy stuff from FS Threads? Also, for what I'm using it for, should I do any upgrading in the future? Thanks a ton guys.

mullet
08-23-06, 12:20 AM
Well I run Ubuntu on the spec's below and it ran like a champ. Nvidia is the way to go for linux. Don't give up easy just keep banging away at it, its not to bad.

ViN86
08-23-06, 09:07 AM
fwiw, my brother and i installed slackware on a box a few months ago and we found that the ATI linux drivers have evolved/improved considerably. they now have a GUI for the installation process and seem to install without a hitch.

however, im not sure they use a similar control panel that nvidia uses (which is awesome btw).

and dont worry too much about the rig being very slow. i used to run an athlon xp 3200 and an nforce2 mobo in linux and it held its own. tbh, the rig was quicker with linux than it was with windows and i got better framerates in games like quake III and return to castle wolfenstein.

six_storm
08-23-06, 11:05 AM
Here's my question: Should I use the mobo/CPU/RAM that I have now (not sure what they are!) or should I just start from scratch and just buy an OEM PC or seperate older/used parts online from individual sellers?

I've been looking over at [H]Forums and people are selling older Gateways and older laptops for cheap. I just didn't know if it would be better to just buy newer stuff or to just get something used/older to build upon in the future. Thanks for the input guys!!!

grey_1
08-23-06, 11:33 AM
Here's my question: Should I use the mobo/CPU/RAM that I have now (not sure what they are!) or should I just start from scratch and just buy an OEM PC or seperate older/used parts online from individual sellers?

I've been looking over at [H]Forums and people are selling older Gateways and older laptops for cheap. I just didn't know if it would be better to just buy newer stuff or to just get something used/older to build upon in the future. Thanks for the input guys!!!

I've got Kanotix running on the rig in my sig, very sweet performance. Older will do just fine, but if you were willing to spend just a bit more I'd recommend at least an nf3 rig, A64 2800. You can find em dirt cheap and the two 'nix I've played with (ubuntu and Kanotix) both offer 64 bit v's that are pretty quick.

a12ctic
08-23-06, 11:46 AM
I use a 850mhz althon regularly in linux, and it runs incredibly smooth, so just go with whatever is cheap ;)

six_storm
08-23-06, 11:52 AM
Why not using your Mac with Parallels Desktop? Or Boot Camp...

I wanted a seperate box for backup and storage mainly but also to walk around the Linux world and get familiar with it. Since I already have my Mobo/CPU/RAM, I just need to post up a WTB thread in various places and see what I can get. I'm hoping to spend less than $100 for a hard drive (80GB+, PATA), case (basic, descent, sturdy), PSU and CD-ROM drive.

ynnek
08-23-06, 12:48 PM
to make your life easier, you may want to do some research on what devices are supported under Linux.. Over the years, HW support has improved for Linux, but there maybe some gotcha's.. but I bet at least for basic functionality, you won't run into any problems.

Something to consider.. you can get an budget 64 bit dual core CPU/MB setup (intel or amd, take your pick) with 1 gig of ram for like under $300 new. Which will be very nice if you are doing alot of compiling. Which is the fun of linux right?

six_storm
08-23-06, 02:28 PM
Found some awesome barebones on TigerDirect.com . . . all you really gotta buy is the hard drive. In a way, it would be a waste of money to just buy parts when I could almost get a whole new rig for a little bit more $$$.