PDA

View Full Version : 7950GX2...was it worth it....not so sure...

Pages : [1] 2 3

OrangeBlast
08-24-06, 04:25 AM
what is happening to our beloved 7950GX2s!?!

okay, I'm not looking to get flammed or whatever...it just seems that alot of the GX2 owners out there (i'm one of them) either don't know how to work the settings or the settings don't work right yet...and there seems to be a lack of performance coming from such a beefy card.

in BF2 I get nothing but un smooth non consistant FPS....however, I feel as though its realed to lag via the internet....don't really feel like going into that.

The drivers still need lots of adjustments and all we can do is wait, which kind of sucks.

It just feels like there is so much more performance to be had from the GX2.

going back to the settings...the driver settings seem so damn touchy...you move or slide one thing over...you loose lots of performance...or your profiles get completely messed up.

alot of the posts on here regarding the GX2 seem to be aimed at not understanding what settings the GX2 needs to be at...or how it works and so on....

just wondering if anyone else is feeling the same way...

I kind of regret buying it...but I have to be on top and right now the GX2 is Nvidia's flagship card. I just want more from it....or perhaps I expected much more.

K007
08-24-06, 05:01 AM
Just install driver..and forget about it and enjoy the games..thats what i do...only thing i do touch is HQ mode/ Vsync Off.

Xion X2
08-24-06, 08:08 AM
If you're having problems, stick with the 91.31's. They never gave me a single bit of trouble with anything when I had my GX2. Every game ran like a dream. I've been telling people it was the 91.29's, but I went back and checked and (oops!) it was the 91.31's I was using the entire time.

Really, though, the 91.31's are very good, from my personal experience. Everything since then has been crap.

nekrosoft13
08-24-06, 09:14 AM
people need to learn to stop messing with driver settings, especially in new control panel

only that you can change is AA, AF, quality level and v-sync.

don't ever touch multi-gpu or multi-display, and if you did, only way to fix it, is to completly uninstall the driver, and install it again.

and i woud stay away from .31, when ever i try that damn driver, and play certain wmv files it either causes screen corruption, or BSOD. this been true from 29 to 33.

85.96 was very good, 91.45 is good too, will test 47 later today.

Riptide
08-24-06, 09:46 AM
Really, though, the 91.31's are very good, from my personal experience. Ditto. CSS, FEAR, HL2 have been fine for me with .31. No problems with any media files on my system either. Take it with a grain of salt though as driver bugs don't always show up under every config.

Kemo
08-24-06, 09:51 AM
new cards (esp this one with dual-core) will always be buggy at first. plus, this card runs similar to 2 seperate cards in SLI. In that case, you should be running your games at a minimum resolution of 1280x1024 with max AA and AF settings to really see the effect. I could be totally wrong though.

anticitizenzero
08-24-06, 09:59 AM
people need to learn to stop messing with driver settings, especially in new control panel

only that you can change is AA, AF, quality level and v-sync.

don't ever touch multi-gpu or multi-display, and if you did, only way to fix it, is to completly uninstall the driver, and install it again.

I Agree, if theres one thing I learned from running SLi, its don't **** with the settings, execpt for AA, and AF, every time I would change the gpu settings or sli rendering modes, my 3dmark score would drop significantly including game performance, and the only way to get it back to normal was to reinstall everything.

Xion X2
08-24-06, 11:15 AM
and i woud stay away from .31, when ever i try that damn driver, and play certain wmv files it either causes screen corruption, or BSOD. this been true from 29 to 33.

Drivers will always differ across various systems, but I think on the whole the 91.31's have been the best driver released for the GX2. I fiddled around with all the settings I wanted, including multi-gpu, single/multiple display and all the rendering settings and could always change them back without my games messing up on me any. I never had any of these performance bugs that people keep reporting with the later control panels.

SH64
08-24-06, 08:01 PM
in BF2 I get nothing but un smooth non consistant FPS....however, I feel as though its realed to lag via the internet....don't really feel like going into that.

Welcome to the SLI world.
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75390
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75081

AMC_Duke
08-25-06, 03:18 PM
i never saw anything bad about the 7950gx2 or sli so i just thought this card is the fastest money can buy well now i wished i had buyd the x1900xtx or waited for the x1950xtx this Sli mouse lag bull **** just pisses me of

if you ask me i prefer smooth 20 fps over 40 laggy fps thats my opinion about this card. i think it sucks for gaming but its good for Benchmarks only :lame:

PS: i liked my old 6800 Ultra more then this crapy 7950gx2

nekrosoft13
08-25-06, 03:28 PM
i went from x850xt to 7800gt to 7800gt sli now to 7950gx2, i really don't have a clue what mouse lag you are talking about

Xion X2
08-25-06, 04:40 PM
I don't remember any mouse lag, either.

gram_vaz
08-25-06, 05:29 PM
(nana2)

CaptNKILL
08-25-06, 05:50 PM
I dont have too many problems with mine, but I cant wait to go back to a single card.

I just totaly despise single card SLI because you cant check the load balancing. You're pretty much stuck with two options when playing a new game that isnt running as fast as you'd like:

Just play it the way it is and pretend you didnt spend $600 on a video card.

Spend a week messing with SLI settings that change at random and hope that you can find one that improves the framerate.

It was a nice little experiment for me, and I'm glad I tested SLI now so I know not to bother with it later. Its just too much of a headache. I have other "projects" that take a lot of time and research to get working. When I want to play a game, I dont want to have to do that.

Riptide
08-25-06, 06:37 PM
Maybe I'm lucky (lol) but FEAR, CSS, and HL2:E1 as well as FarCry have played fine with my single GX2 and 91.31.

nekrosoft13
08-25-06, 07:23 PM
I dont have too many problems with mine, but I cant wait to go back to a single card.

I just totaly despise single card SLI because you cant check the load balancing. You're pretty much stuck with two options when playing a new game that isnt running as fast as you'd like:

Just play it the way it is and pretend you didnt spend $600 on a video card.

Spend a week messing with SLI settings that change at random and hope that you can find one that improves the framerate.

It was a nice little experiment for me, and I'm glad I tested SLI now so I know not to bother with it later. Its just too much of a headache. I have other "projects" that take a lot of time and research to get working. When I want to play a game, I dont want to have to do that.

get nHancer and you can enable load balancer

CaptNKILL
08-25-06, 09:01 PM
get nHancer and you can enable load balancer
Damn, when did someone figure this out? I asked about enabling the load balancer a bunch of times after getting my GX2 and everyone said it was impossible :o

K007
08-25-06, 09:16 PM
Again wont work on a Single GX2...been said many many times.

CaptNKILL
08-25-06, 09:18 PM
Thats what I thought... :p

K007
08-25-06, 09:20 PM
Only problem i have atm is how BFME2 dosen't have a profile..which makes me think that this game is running on 1 GPU..and not both..

Also Ntune max Fan setting seeems to effect only 1 GPU..the one that is not stuck in th emiddle..dropped the temps alot..

nekrosoft13
08-25-06, 09:27 PM

oh is that right?

then what is this?

K007
08-25-06, 09:31 PM
oh is that right?

then what is this?

Its some card in SLI.

CaptNKILL
08-25-06, 10:13 PM
I just installed nHancer and it says I dont have SLI so it disables the SLI options in the program.

Unless I missed something, this isnt going to work.

This card is damned anoying. It has all of the quirks of normal SLI but no software recognizes it as SLI so you cant fix anything.

nekrosoft13
08-25-06, 10:16 PM
Its some card in SLI.

just admit that you are wrong

http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/1401/clipboard05du5.jpg

CaptNKILL
08-25-06, 10:17 PM
Ok, can you explain to me how you do that? My program doesnt look anything like that... I dont have any of those options.

EDIT: oh, do I have to use the newest beta version?