PDA

View Full Version : Noob question: How do you tell if SLI is actually switched on?

Sebassis
08-24-06, 09:00 AM
I keep going into the Nvidia control panel under the 3D settings and enabling Quad SLI and clicking on apply then closing it but when I go back in it's got SLI disabled again.

So how can I tell if it's actually enabled?

I saw a balloon popup on some review site that indicated that SLI had been switched on when the guy enabled it but I don't seem to be getting that.

System is as follows:
P3N32SLI SE Deluxe (bios 0305)
2 x XFX Geforce 7950 GX2 (71.45 Forceware, 6.86 nForce4)

Cheers,
Steve.

|MaguS|
08-24-06, 09:02 AM
Turn on the load balancer and run a game... if its on then you will see the load balancer...

nekrosoft13
08-24-06, 09:17 AM
keep in mind that if v-sync is on load balancer won't show

Sebassis
08-24-06, 10:02 AM
Thanks I'll give that a go later when I've finished work.

That new nvidia control panel is rubbish, it just hides everything I'd like to get access to. After being very confused at trying to find load balancing on the new control panel I reverted to classic and everthings there again.

By trying to simplify the control panel they don't half make things a lot harder to do.

Thanks again for the help.

Thanks,
Steve.

Sebassis
08-24-06, 03:46 PM
Hi Peeps,

I've tried the load balancing thing and I'm not seeing any green bars so I'm still not sure if I've got SLI switched on properly. I made sure vsync was switched off too.

The classic nvidia control panel appears to remember the enable sli setting where the new one doesn't. It's also got the Show gpu load balancing thingy ticked but it keeps blanking the Select display drop-down when I select my primary monitor. I'm running the system on 2 NEC 20WGX2 and have one big desktop spanning both so not sure if that's an issue?

I've got the latest drivers installed and everyone else seems to be using them fine so don't know what I'm doing wrong??? Is it the using 2 montiors and spanning the desktop across both thing?

Thanks again for any help and advice. It's been a while since I had a new system so I'm not quite up to date on all the new stuff but learning fast. Helluva steep learning curve!

Cheers,
Steve.

Sebassis
08-24-06, 04:03 PM
Hi All,

Ignore my last post.

I re-installed the drivers and rebooted and lo-and-behold it came back with sli has been enabled :D

I'm not a happy chappy.

Thanks for all your help guys and sorry for bothering you.

Cheers,
Steve.

DataMatrix
08-24-06, 05:36 PM
Be good if they added a light somewhere to show if SLi is enabled...

crainger
08-24-06, 05:50 PM
Hi All,

Ignore my last post.

I re-installed the drivers and rebooted and lo-and-behold it came back with sli has been enabled :D

I'm not a happy chappy.

Thanks for all your help guys and sorry for bothering you.

Cheers,
Steve.

Why aren't you happy? SLI makes me happy.

I light would be cool, maybe on the bridge. Until then I guess we must use the Load Balancer.

Sebassis
08-24-06, 05:58 PM
Why aren't you happy? SLI makes me happy.

I light would be cool, maybe on the bridge. Until then I guess we must use the Load Balancer.

Doh! typo

not = now

I meant to say I'm now a happy chappy

quad sli goodness (nana2) :D

crainger
08-24-06, 06:02 PM
Doh! typo

not = now

I meant to say I'm now a happy chappy

quad sli goodness (nana2) :D

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Sebassis
08-24-06, 06:10 PM
It was definitely the two monitor thing. Quad SLI will only run on a single monitor so I had to disable the multiple desktops first before enabling SLI. I've definitely gone a bit overboard with my spec as a single monitor of mine will only do 1680 x 1050 and quad sli at that res is a bit unnecessary...

It looks cool though :D

crainger
08-24-06, 07:28 PM
It was definitely the two monitor thing. Quad SLI will only run on a single monitor so I had to disable the multiple desktops first before enabling SLI. I've definitely gone a bit overboard with my spec as a single monitor of mine will only do 1680 x 1050 and quad sli at that res is a bit unnecessary...

It looks cool though :D

You can crank up the AA though. Would look amazing with a solid framerate :)

hemmy
08-25-06, 07:59 AM
nobody is forcing you to use the new CP, it lets you choose

Rieper
08-25-06, 08:39 AM
Guys, I just put my quad-sli 7950 gx2 system together.

I found this option in the control panel, and was wondering what to make of it? What setting should I be using with a Quad-SLI setup?

http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/1782/untitled2xw2.jpg

Grestorn
08-25-06, 08:41 AM
Guys, I just put my quad-sli 7950 gx2 system together.

I found this option in the control panel, and was wondering what to make of it? What setting should I be using with a Quad-SLI setup?[/IMG]

If there's a profile for the game you're playing, it'll overwrite this setting anyway. There's no need to change it.

Rieper
08-25-06, 08:56 AM
If there's a profile for the game you're playing, it'll overwrite this setting anyway. There's no need to change it.

I don't use profiles, but I guess I should look into that.

The default is single-gpu rendering, but I don't think that sounds right when using a Quad SLI setup.

I think I'll go with "Auto-select" and let it take care of itself.