PDA

View Full Version : X-Fi "POPPING" Nvidia's Fault?

Pages : [1] 2

Tikiman44
08-24-06, 11:48 AM
Well this article sure is interesting:

http://www.theinq.com/default.aspx?article=33913

Creative blaming Nvidia for the snap, crackle, pop of X-Fi cards.:p

I've never experienced the popping myself on my X-Fi Fatal1ty, but I've heard of others having issues.

Tikiman44
08-24-06, 12:09 PM
Have any of you guys experienced your sound card popping?

superklye
08-24-06, 12:16 PM
Nope, I have really lucked out with mine. I've used it on an NFORCE4 Ultra SLI and now my NFORCE 570 SLI and have had no crackling whatsoever.

CaptNKILL
08-24-06, 12:24 PM
I actually get it pretty often. Some sounds in songs (usually with lots of bass or real sharp guitar sounds) cause things to sort of crackle a little, and no amount of adjusting the volume fixes it. Its really not that noticable though.

I also had a lot of nasty crackling from the distant (very bassy) explosion sounds in Age of Empires 3.

Its anoying, but the crystalizer just works too damn good for me to even think of using any other sound card now.

Tikiman44
08-24-06, 12:27 PM
Interesting enough I don't recall anyone ever thinking the popping was a chipset/motherboard issue. This could be possible. Hmmmm.... And of course Nvidia would be in denial. But then again it could be bad sound cards.

[EOCF] Tim
08-24-06, 12:29 PM
Does everyone who has the popping sounds also have another PCI card? kinda wondering....I have it like once or twice a month...nothing more...strange but oh well....not as bad for me as to others who have horrible problems

CaptNKILL
08-24-06, 12:36 PM
I dont have any other PCI cards installed. Just my 7950, onboard LAN, usb etc...

nekrosoft13
08-24-06, 12:55 PM
does you sound card share IRQ with lan?

CaptNKILL
08-24-06, 12:59 PM
does you sound card share IRQ with lan?
Actually, Device Manager says its sharing IRQ 19 with my 7950 (which is on 18 and 19)... hmmm...

OrangeBlast
08-24-06, 01:13 PM
Actually most people have found that the X-FI will always for some unknown reason...share the IRQ w/ the video card, even moving the x-fi to a different slot will still gives the same sharing problem!

I get popps and stuff....i use to get distortion but i d/l'd the You-PAX Unofficial "hacked" drivers for the x-fi (i have elite Pro) I guess they are the equivilent to the Omega drivers...only its for the x-fi. BTW: Creative still has yet to release the newest driver for the elite pro....all other cards BUT the elite Pro got updated. Terrible, creative is deffinitly goign downhill.

I get most of problems in BF2...it sounds like an audio CD is skipping...or an MP3 is skipping or has become garbled or corrupted. Very annoying considering I paid almost 350 bux for it.....

:(

Tikiman44
08-24-06, 01:16 PM
Is it Nvidia's fault though that the card shares an IRQ with other devices? Or is this Creatives problem, because Creative is claiming this only happens on Nvidia chipsets.

ynnek
08-24-06, 01:27 PM
I guess I'm not most people. ;)

PTK1982
08-24-06, 01:38 PM
Is it Nvidia's fault though that the card shares an IRQ with other devices? Or is this Creatives problem, because Creative is claiming this only happens on Nvidia chipsets.

No creative is talking BS as always. It is also happening on intel chipset and these new nforce 5 series for AM2. On intel platform u have to find pci slot that dosen't share irq with pci-e. On AM2 platform pci slot are using irq 5,6,7 and no other device are using those. It is true that x-fi (using own irq) popping is almost gone but still using SVM (smart volume monitor) it is still popping.

2GB DDR2 Memory
2x Nvidia GeForce 7800GTX SLI
Creative X-FI Platinum
2x Seagate Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 SATA II 250GB in Raid0
Lite-On DVDRW SOHW-1673S
Logitech MX1000 Mouse
Logitech UltraX Media Keyboard
Zalman CNPS9500 AM2 + Arctic Silver 5
SilverStone Zeus SST-ST75ZF 750W power
ViewSonic VX900 19" LCD
ViewSonic N3000W 30" LCD

Rakeesh
08-24-06, 01:41 PM
Well this article sure is interesting:

http://www.theinq.com/default.aspx?article=33913

Creative blaming Nvidia for the snap, crackle, pop of X-Fi cards.:p

I've never experienced the popping myself on my X-Fi Fatal1ty, but I've heard of others having issues.

First creative says that its users are just hearing things, and this continues for several months. Then they finally acknowledge that the problem exists and say they will fix it. Then they discover (or perhaps even knew all along) that it is a hardware issue and can't be fixed 100%. Then they blame nvidia.

Have any of you guys experienced your sound card popping?

I don't use a creative card, so no :D

J-Mag
08-24-06, 01:42 PM
I get most of problems in BF2...it sounds like an audio CD is skipping..
:(

Yeah I still get pops and clicks every now and then with BF2, all other games and audio applications like movies and music don't show the symptoms. Also it is usually only when a UAV is doing it's scan on a heavily populated area making all the little beeps.

Tikiman44
08-24-06, 01:43 PM
First creative says that its users are just hearing things, and this continues for several months. Then they finally acknowledge that the problem exists and say they will fix it. Then they discover that it is a hardware issue and can't be fixed 100%. Then they blame nvidia.

LOL!!! :rofl Very true.

gram_vaz
08-24-06, 01:43 PM
Sharing IRQs should not be a problem for modern operating systems.

Tikiman44
08-24-06, 02:29 PM
Sharing IRQs should not be a problem for modern operating systems.

IRQ assignment was such an important part of gaming in the good ol days....ahhh the goog old days of Wing Commander and the like.:D

Viper_0000
08-24-06, 02:52 PM
It really isn't nvidias fault, it does have many things to do with the motherboard, but it can easily be fixed on Creative Labs' part, because the crackling does get better with each driver upgrade and aparently with their special BIOS updates that are only allowed to take place in house.

Originally I had a X-Fi XtremeMusic (When X-Fi first came out), it was excellent, no problem at all for about a year, then one day it died, seriously sounded like it blew up and smelt like rubber was being burnt. So I got a X-Fi Platinum (XtremeMusic + I/O Plate), the crackling was insane, really was maddening. Then I muted Line In 2/Mic 2 and I havn't had any crackling at all so far, it's been about two days now :D

Also the least ammount of problems seems to be with the X-Fi Fatal1ty and the X-Fi elite, and on their in house tests to reproduce the problems, they use those two cards which they stated themselves have the least issues.

Anyways, for all you people who read through the 100+ page threads on fixing the crackling try my little "fix".

Also I know people with new Conroe Systems, and they experience crackling with their X-Fi. I wish logitech or someone that at least remotely gives a **** about PC Enthusiasts would just stop this Sound Card Monopoly.

-----------------------------------------------------

orly?!!1 gram_vaz

gram_vaz
08-24-06, 03:02 PM
Also I know people with new Conroe Systems, and they experience crackling with their X-Fi. I wish logitech or someone that at least remotely gives a **** about PC Enthusiasts would just stop this Sound Card Monopoly.You do have a choice you know. There are other good sound cards out there. Sure, you'll have to give up fancy EAX features but not like many games out there make good use of it.

OWA
08-24-06, 04:01 PM
No popping here with either of my nforce4 boards (X-Fi Fatality in one, X-Fi Xtreme Music in the other).

Rakeesh
08-24-06, 05:27 PM
You do have a choice you know. There are other good sound cards out there. Sure, you'll have to give up fancy EAX features but not like many games out there make good use of it.

I *really* wish nvidia would produce a modular version of the soundstorm. I don't know why they discontinued it in spite of so many people asking for it.

Nutty
08-24-06, 06:10 PM
I *really* wish nvidia would produce a modular version of the soundstorm. I don't know why they discontinued it in spite of so many people asking for it.

Indeed. One of their dev rels told me SS 2 was going to debut with NF5. Never happened though.. :(

$n][pErMan
08-24-06, 06:10 PM
I think the popping is an issue only with the lower end cards that don't have the X-Ram.

Rakeesh
08-24-06, 06:13 PM
Indeed. One of their dev rels told me SS 2 was going to debut with NF5. Never happened though.. :(

Yeah, AFAICT they have totally killed it. They should make a PCI-express version of it and be done with it. The biggest problem with creative cards is their drivers are ass, and nvidia seems to know what they are doing when it comes to drivers. If nvidia really pounded at the market they would be making creative cry a river just like ATI.