PDA

View Full Version : wtf x2~!

bugmage
08-24-06, 01:05 PM
arg well im still haveing a issue after a fresh install of windows xp, any game i run new and old can only use 1 core even with 2 cores listed in a affinity

ive removed and resinatlled, amd, nvidia chipset and all kinds of other drivers and still the same issue, is there something im missing here, amds duel core optimizer did nothing but its pissing me off
is there something in the bios i messed up
c&c is disabled, cpus overclocked and all spread spectrums are off
ram running at 166 for higher cpu overclock

gram_vaz
08-24-06, 01:08 PM
Games can only use dual core if they are programmed to.

bugmage
08-24-06, 01:13 PM
oblivion, age of empires 3, fear, prey, all used 100% before format
is something with windows
- games or otherwise nothing can use both cores for some reason
-i reset the bios and tryed it w/o any luck

bugmage
08-24-06, 01:16 PM
let me refraise this now that i look at it
it looks like both cores are being used to only 25%, adding up to 50, wtf again mate

so any program can uses 1/4 of each core ??????

bugmage
08-24-06, 01:25 PM
i wonder http://forums.amd.com/ is not responding im wondering if the duel core optimizer they put out is the issue

BlackSun
08-24-06, 01:29 PM
i wonder http://forums.amd.com/ is not responding im wondering if the duel core optimizer they put out is the issue

Same

DataMatrix
08-24-06, 05:21 PM
Games MUST be programmed multithreaded, you will not get dual-core usage on a single threaded application! AMD's Dual Core optimiser will NOT make an application use both cores:
The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer can help improve some PC gaming video performance by compensating for those applications that bypass the Windows API for timing by directly using the RDTSC (Read Time Stamp Counter) instruction.

Just get over it you don't need two cores running to run the damn game anyway. Why don't people get this into their heads?

CaptNKILL
08-24-06, 06:19 PM
Games MUST be programmed multithreaded, you will not get dual-core usage on a single threaded application! AMD's Dual Core optimiser will NOT make an application use both cores:

Just get over it you don't need two cores running to run the damn game anyway. Why don't people get this into their heads?
I think you misunderstood what hes saying.

Hes getting 25% usage on each core. He should be getting 50% usage.

I dont know what would cause that myself. I'd try everything with and without the various AMD drivers on AMD's website.