PDA

View Full Version : Vista 32-bit? No HD for you!

|MaguS|
08-24-06, 02:21 PM
Seems like MS is killing HD-DVD and Blu-Ray content on any none 64-bit copy of vista due to DRM support.

ďAny next-generation high definition content will not play in x32 at all This is a decision that the Media Player folks made because there are just too many ways right now for unsigned kernel mode code [to compromise content protection]. The media companies asked us to do this and said they donít want any of their high definition content to play in x32 at all, because of all of the unsigned malware that runs in kernel mode can get around content protection, so we had to do this,Ē said Riley.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=3922

K007
08-24-06, 04:41 PM
Yep. Good move. Once we get more people on 64bit will see more support given out to that side as well..atm XP 64bit support is a joke.

CKS
08-24-06, 06:59 PM
I don't think there is anything 64-bit can do but 32-bit can't, that's why people are reluctant to switch, because nobody is willing to waste money on something that provides absolutely no benefit(or too little benifit, considering the price they have to pay)

one thing is for sure, I won't be buying 32-bit Vista, and I won't switch to 64-bit because my 32-bit system is still going strong, and if I want to watch HD content, I will simply download them rather than buying them, because you 64-bit users got all the time in the world to rip those stuff off the disc, so more money saving for 32-bit users, happy ending!

j0j081
08-25-06, 08:56 AM
story is apparently wrong.

http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=34742

CKS
08-26-06, 01:00 PM
it's "possible", that means they haven't make the decision yet?

or maybe they will compromise the quality?

Rakeesh
08-26-06, 01:51 PM
I don't think there is anything 64-bit can do but 32-bit can't

Yes, there is. The memory addressing limits of 32-bit is about to be reached soon in the desktop area (it already has been hit in the server market, a long time ago.) I would say that in about 2-3 years time, you are going to start seeing programs come around that require a 64-bit kernel.

Realistically the maximum amount of memory you are going to be able to have in any desktop system is 3GB (the real limit is 4GB but remember that RAM isn't the only thing in your computer that consumes address space.) A long time ago that amount was insanely high, but today 2GB is about the norm, and not long from now 4GB will easily be the norm. 64-bit will go up to 16EB (18,446,744,073,709,551,616 bytes)

There are a few tricks you could use to go higher than 4GB with 32-bit, and they would probably work fine for some productivity programs, but games would take a serious performance hit if you tried this.