PDA

View Full Version : cpu heat

majortom
02-14-03, 11:13 AM
hi everyone. im a new member, longtime reader.

i just installed a "new" cpu (upgraded from tbird 1gig to xp 1700+ palomino) and for some reason, my cpu temp skyrocketed to 50c! when i start from a cold boot, i get an initial temp reading of 40c which is weird, cause my old processor only got around 35 idle and around 45 at full load (ie gaming). my case ambient temp is the same (34c), so im guessing that i might have made a mistake with the installation. I installed a thermaltake 6 cu+ (old heatsink was tt volcano 5) using arctic silver 3 and a shim. does anyone have any suggestions on how i might lower the temp?

jAkUp
02-14-03, 11:25 AM
the only thing i can suggest is water cooling... amd processors... especially the xp's are heat *****s

majortom
02-14-03, 02:33 PM
sure, why not water cooling.. while we're at it, ill might as well buy myself a whole new computer.... what i meant was how can i lower the cpu temp AFFORDABLY? i am broke assed, and dont plan on upgrading till athlon 64 comes out.

john19055
02-14-03, 04:04 PM
My XP1900 ran around 50c ,I guess that about normal unless you use a better heatsink.I notice when I bought a XP2400 and a volcano 9 my temp runs around 38c,I guess the new ThoroughBred's run cooler than the Palomino's did.But if yours runs at 50c there should'nt be no problems since that is about normal for them proscessors.

Shinri Hikari
02-14-03, 04:27 PM
A top of the line HSF will run an xp 2000+ at 43-45c, add a window fan and leave the case open and it will drop to 30-32c:D.

jAkUp
02-15-03, 02:12 PM
yea... 45c isnt hot for an amd... it is for a p4 though. amd's run very hot... and if you want to lower the cpu temp, its gonna cost money. unless you completely mod your case and buy a few more fans.

Smokey
02-15-03, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by jAkUp
yea... 45c isnt hot for an amd... it is for a p4 though. amd's run very hot... and if you want to lower the cpu temp, its gonna cost money. unless you completely mod your case and buy a few more fans.

You should poke your head into some AMD threads sometimes, then maybe you will see that not all AMD "XPs" run hot take a lookie (http://www.forumoc.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=43888)

The thread is about overclocking the T-Bred B cpu, but even in the first post the poster OC'd his cpu somewhat and still has load temps of <35c, on air! Thats what, about a 500MHz+ OC, and still under 35c, I would say that isnt too bad :p

As too the topic, make sure that you dont have too much AS3 on the cpu, too much can have adverse affects. Your temps with your 1700+, even if it is a Palamino, should be under 50c IMO, when I had my 1800+, my load temps were at around 45c, non copper heatsink, and no case fans. Your XP palamino may be hotter than your T-Bird, because I think the XP uses a higher Voltage by default.

demonized
02-15-03, 08:08 PM
my xp 2000 palomino is running at 45 idle and shoots up to 50 when playing games. this is from an MSI KT3 ultra mobo. when i used it on an Epox nforce 2 the idle temp were somwhere between 35-40. I used the same volcano 7 to cool the palomino.
So i think the temps motherboards are showing are screwed and youll never know what temperature ur CPU is runnung at unless u have some kind of special device that you could use.

btw. these are non-overclocked temps.

anxdiety
02-15-03, 09:13 PM
Try removing the shim. My buddy had just bought an XP 2100+ chip and it was running nearly 50 to 60 degrees in his 14 fan case. He took out the shim and remounted it and sits below 40 degrees now.

majortom
02-16-03, 10:45 AM
hey, thanks for the idea. i removed my shim, and my temp stablized. its still running at around 40 (ambient temp @ 36, though i still dont know why, my dorm room's freezing) idle, but it doesnt rise above 47-48 under full load (ran seti@home for almost an hour). im satisfied, as long as my cpu doesnt burn up. :afro2:

ps- i guess as an afterthought, how much thermal paste is good? i only applied about 1/2 the size of a grain of rice on mine (which resulted in a paper thin layer across the die). should i have put more/less?:confused:

Smokey
02-16-03, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by majortom
hey, thanks for the idea. i removed my shim, and my temp stablized. its still running at around 40 (ambient temp @ 36, though i still dont know why, my dorm room's freezing) idle, but it doesnt rise above 47-48 under full load (ran seti@home for almost an hour). im satisfied, as long as my cpu doesnt burn up. :afro2:

ps- i guess as an afterthought, how much thermal paste is good? i only applied about 1/2 the size of a grain of rice on mine (which resulted in a paper thin layer across the die). should i have put more/less?:confused:

Good to hear temps are down.
As for thermal paste, a paper thin coat is about right, you see also if you have too much, it will be squeezed out over the rest of the cpu once you clamp the HSF on and you dont want that. :)

Do you have any cooling in your case? 50c underload is fine, that would be a max temp for me, but will still run without problems.

majortom
02-16-03, 06:16 PM
ja, i have 1 casefan in the front and one in the back. i think that the one in the back moves more air than the front one (and add in the power supply fan, and i definitely have more air going out than coming in). do you think that the excess heat is caused by the resulting negative pressure?

SavagePaladin
02-16-03, 06:47 PM
The procs safe anywhere under 65C, in my experience. Over, it gets fruity on you for good reason.

Then you should note the difference in various hardware monitor setups...some of them will read completely different numbers than others.