PDA

View Full Version : Dual Boot setup for Vista

boomstick
08-25-06, 01:26 PM
How do I install Vista and keep my XP. I have the 64bit beta2 version of Vista.

rewt
08-25-06, 03:18 PM
Boot from the DVD. During setup it will ask where you want to install. You need to create new NTFS partition (out of empty hard disk space) to install it on. I used a 16GB partition (16384 MB).

That's all there is to it. When it is done installing you can boot into either Vista or XP from then on.

boomstick
08-25-06, 05:08 PM
Vista installation will create the partition?

rewt
08-25-06, 05:14 PM
Yes, but not automatically. You have to choose the hard disk you want to create it on. You should use unallocated space so you don't end up losing data.

boomstick
08-25-06, 06:31 PM
I tried to create a new partition in computer manangement, but it wont let me. How do I create another partition on the same hdd to install vista.

rewt
08-25-06, 06:59 PM
If it won't let you, then it means you don't have any unallocated space left on that drive. Unallocated space is space that isn't currently taken up by files or partition structure. It will show up black in Windows Hard disk management.

In that case you'll need another hard drive. Either that or use special software (I recommend Paragon Hard Disk Manager or Partition Manager) to resize your Windows XP partition to free up some space.

rewt
08-25-06, 07:05 PM
http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/9416/hdmmo0.png

Once you get 16 GB of unallocated space, then use Windows Vista DVD to create the partition. Reason being the filesystem seems to have changed a little. And Windows XP's hard disk management might not make compatible partition anyways..

boomstick
08-25-06, 10:52 PM
I have 160gigs free space, how can that be?

npras42
08-26-06, 10:45 AM
You have already formatted that 160GB of free space on to one of your partitions that why.

You need some unallocated space.

I haven't done anything like this for a very long time, but last time I did I used a program Partition Magic. There may be something newer and free-er nowadays though. Using that you can change some of the allocated 'free-space' you have in to a new partition.

boomstick
08-26-06, 10:50 AM
I'm just going to buy a new HDD and put it on there.