PDA

View Full Version : [Wii] no online from third party till early 2007

Bad_Boy
08-26-06, 07:26 AM
Gamers hoping for an online component, however, are in for bad news, because one isn't planned. Activision would not say why, but IGN has separately learned from multiple development sources that Nintendo will not release Wii Wi-Fi Connection libraries to third parties until early 2007, which means that no third party launch title will have an online mode.
http://wii.ign.com/articles/728/728041p1.html

1337_Like_ThaT
08-26-06, 09:50 AM
^^ It is because they do not want all the little kids who will be buying the Weeeeeeiiiii to be stalked by online predators so they have disabled online gaming until further notice :p

Bad_Boy
08-26-06, 10:16 AM
well to be fair, 1st party online still seems to be the plan at launch. I just don't understand why they would wait till 2007 to send the online details to their third party supporters. It really shows how much they care about online gaming. (lets not even get started about their HD gaming feelings)

Edge
08-26-06, 09:25 PM
I read about this too. Really sucks for Wii players who were looking forward to online, this basically means games like Red Steel, Call of Duty 3, Crystal Chronicles, Tony Hawk, etc. are all going to be offline. Also, since they aren't giving the LIBRARIES to third parties until early 2007, it basically means we won't see any online third party games until mid-late 2007 since they'd need those before they can even start working on the online mode, which would probably take at least 4 months.

Too bad, was looking forward to online swordfights in Red Steel. Actually, this means that the console won't have any online games at first except for a few racers (and eventually SSBB).

Namrok
08-28-06, 06:52 AM
Boooo, bad Nintendo. I cannot fathom what would motivate a decision like this. Trying to sell more of their own games? The libraries aren't actually finished yet? It boggles the mind.