PDA

View Full Version : Okami

Pages : [1] 2

Marvel_us
08-26-06, 11:13 AM
Anyone else interested in this game?

This is my must have for PS2. In the latest PSM Mag, they gave it a 9.5 and called it Playstation's Zelda.

Here's an interview with the CEO of Clover Studio, Atsushi Inaba. This game is going to be amazing! Check it out.

http://ps2.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3152846&did=1

Bad_Boy
08-26-06, 11:19 AM
man, i really want to get this one but I think I'm going to wait for november and hope I can pick it up at a discounted price. All my money is going toward the ps3 and school. (broke college student here)

Running it on the ps3 might not be too bad anyways with the BC upscaling and what not. I suppose if my patience doesnt hold up I can always rent it.

but yeah, im definately interested in this game.

Marvel_us
08-26-06, 11:29 AM
man, i really want to get this one but I think I'm going to wait for november and hope I can pick it up at a discounted price. All my money is going toward the ps3 and school. (broke college student here)

Running it on the ps3 might not be too bad anyways with the BC upscaling and what not. I suppose if my patience doesnt hold up I can always rent it.

but yeah, im definately interested in this game.

Yea, college has me kind of broke too. I don't think I'll be able to find a PS3 on release so I'm just gonna shell out the 40 bucks for this game.

The quest is supposed to be around 30 hours long and that's without getting 100% completion. I hope Okami does well so we can hopefully see a sequel on PS3.

|MaguS|
08-26-06, 12:27 PM
I can't wait for this title, I already had it payed off at Gamestop.

Toss3
08-26-06, 03:33 PM
Wow, this games seems different. The only thing that bothers me is that it's almost too different, and I don't like cell-shading. :( I should probably read some more about the game, but based on that video it sure doesn't look like zelda. Could someone point me in the direction of a review or video that would explain what the game is about, and why there's a brush appearing all the time and how it works?(do you draw the lines with the controller?) :(

Bad_Boy
08-26-06, 04:09 PM
I think I remember seeing the very early shots of the game, and they actually werent cell shaded. looking at the new stuff, im glad they didnt go the realistic route.

edit:
here ya go, old okami compared to new okami.
http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/5057

Marvel_us
08-26-06, 06:14 PM
Wow, this games seems different. The only thing that bothers me is that it's almost too different, and I don't like cell-shading. :( I should probably read some more about the game, but based on that video it sure doesn't look like zelda. Could someone point me in the direction of a review or video that would explain what the game is about, and why there's a brush appearing all the time and how it works?(do you draw the lines with the controller?) :(

What's wrong with cell shading? The number of particles their using makes this game look amazing.

As far as the Zelda comment. They don't mean this game looks like zelda, they meant it's a story/adventure game on par/"up there" with Zelda, with some gameplay similarities. In Zelda, Link uses an instrument to help him throughtout his journey, ie. Ocarina of time, to perform various tasks in the game. Similarly in Okami, you use your tail as a paint brush to paint symbols in the game to affect different things.

The brush is basically a power you have. You learn different techniques with it to figure out puzzles, fight etc. With it, you're able to control water, fire and wind. In Ocarina of time, part of your quest was to find different songs to play. In Okami, you will be finding different brush techniques for different uses in game.

That's just a tad of what the game is like. Hopefully it helped you, as well as others, understand a bit more about the game.

Here's a link for some more info.
http://ps2.ign.com/articles/725/725493p1.html

Edge
08-26-06, 11:25 PM
That game caught my eye when I first heard about it. I'm normally not a big fan of action/adventure games like this, but this one does look pretty cool. And I have to say...the music is amazing. I'm not much into Japanese type music, but for some reason this game's music is just...addicting.

Although I hadn't seen the "old" video of Okami before...wow, that did look cool even in it's "realistic" style. Actually I kinda wish they had made the game with that style now...although I had never even seen a trailer of the game before it was shown as cel shaded, where is that original trailer from?

|MaguS|
08-26-06, 11:43 PM
The original trailer was only displayed internally to show the concept, they moved to cell shading when they realized that they couldn't accomplish what they had in mind with the PS2 if they went the realistic route.

Marvel_us
08-27-06, 11:40 AM
The original trailer was only displayed internally to show the concept, they moved to cell shading when they realized that they couldn't accomplish what they had in mind with the PS2 if they went the realistic route.

That's understandable and makes me wonder.

In the interview, Inaba was saying how the sequel to this game(which is likey) will need a different look so it doesn't feel like "been there done that". If Okami 2 appeared on PS3, they would definately be able to use the realistic look that was scrapped for PS2.

muaddib
08-27-06, 12:03 PM
I really can't wait for this one.

Zelda_fan
08-27-06, 04:06 PM
This is my must have for PS2. In the latest PSM Mag, they gave it a 9.5 and called it Playstation's Zelda

9.5? Please. If it isn't a 10, it isn't Zelda.

But I would imagine if they have the cajones to compare it to Zelda then it is probably a decent game.

Toss3
08-27-06, 04:12 PM

But I would imagine if they have the cajones to compare it to Zelda then it is probably a decent game.
Heh I was actually waiting to see your take on this game. :D Yep it's no Zelda, but having watched some of the 78vids(YES 78!!!) over at ign's, I must say this game looks like it might be worth purchasing. I don't like cell-shading because it makes the games look too 2d in a 3d world and too comic-like. :-/ It really suits this game well though and really makes it look like a Japanese fairytale come to life! ;)

|MaguS|
08-27-06, 04:34 PM

Guess Wind Waker wasn't zelda and neither were all the GBA Games... actually OOT was the only Zelda by Gamespots standards to get a perfect score while most barely broke 9.0.

Zelda_fan
08-27-06, 05:54 PM
Guess Wind Waker wasn't zelda and neither were all the GBA Games... actually OOT was the only Zelda by Gamespots standards to get a perfect score while most barely broke 9.0.

nope Wind Waker wasn't a true Zelda game. Neither was the Minish Cap. Both great games, dont' get me wrong, but they were more of an experiment with this cartoon animation stuff than the real deal. The true Legend of Zelda games are as follows:

Ocarina of Time (recieved 10/10 from ign)
Oracle of Seasons (recieved 10/10 from ign)
Oracle of Ages (recieved 10/10 from ign)
Link's Awakening (recieved 10/10 from ign)
Link to the Past (was reviewed before IGN had rating standard)
Legend of Zelda (was reviewed before IGN had rating standard)

I have no doubt in my mind that Twilight Princess will recieve 10/10. If it dosen't I'll be pissed. A 9.9 is a insult.

Marvel_us
08-27-06, 06:08 PM

Call it what you want but PSM and 1up both compared this game to Zelda.

PSM's reviews are usually very tough. The only reason this game got a 9.5 is the fact that the beginning of the game starts off a little slow.

Zelda_fan
08-27-06, 06:12 PM
Call it what you want but PSM and 1up both compared this game to Zelda.

PSM's reviews are usually very tough. The only reason this game got a 9.5 is the fact that the beginning of the game starts off a little slow.

I looked at some videos of the game. It looks pretty good to be honest. Not a Zelda for the PS becasue I don't think this game is going to envoke the same kind of emotion that Zelda would.

Edge
08-27-06, 06:34 PM
Not a Zelda for the PS becasue I don't think this game is going to envoke the same kind of emotion that Zelda would.
Boredom? :p

Zelda_fan
08-27-06, 06:54 PM
Boredom? :p

Boo

|MaguS|
08-27-06, 06:55 PM
I looked at some videos of the game. It looks pretty good to be honest. Not a Zelda for the PS becasue I don't think this game is going to envoke the same kind of emotion that Zelda would.

Zelda envoke emotion? The games are almost emotionless and remember I actually like Zelda. Don't get me wrong the gameplay and adventure is great but the stories have almost no emotional backing nor are they very deep.

For 1up to say something strong as comparing it to zelda means ALOT, 1up is one of the toughest sites out there next to Gamespot (IGN is a joke).

Edge
08-27-06, 07:29 PM
Boo
Hey, you should feel honored, I've almost finished OOT because of you :p

Zelda_fan
08-27-06, 08:53 PM
Zelda envoke emotion? The games are almost emotionless and remember I actually like Zelda. Don't get me wrong the gameplay and adventure is great but the stories have almost no emotional backing nor are they very deep.

For 1up to say something strong as comparing it to zelda means ALOT, 1up is one of the toughest sites out there next to Gamespot (IGN is a joke).

IGN is a joke? lol you're just pissed becasue no Playstation 1 or 2 title ever recieved a 10. As a matter of fact, if you don't count the gameboy titles, Zelda OOT is the only one they ever gave a 10.

Gamespot is rough? please. They gave Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 a 10. I mean, wtf?

Zelda_fan
08-27-06, 08:54 PM
Hey, you should feel honored, I've almost finished OOT because of you :p

you started playing it again?

|MaguS|
08-27-06, 09:29 PM
IGN is a joke? lol you're just pissed becasue no Playstation 1 or 2 title ever recieved a 10. As a matter of fact, if you don't count the gameboy titles, Zelda OOT is the only one they ever gave a 10.

Gamespot is rough? please. They gave Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 a 10. I mean, wtf?

THPS3 was an amazing game, the best of the series... As for IGN they are crap! They give so many horrible games good reviews, even PS2 ones.

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 9.4? WTF
True Crime 9.0?
Castlevania: Lament of Innocence 9.0?
Deus Ex: Invisible War 9.0?
GUNVALKYRIE 9.0?
Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30 9.1?

They give out high scores like it was candy... Gamespot is the best online review site in my opinion and they too gave OOT a perfect score.

Edge
08-27-06, 10:01 PM
you started playing it again?
Yeah, after we talked about it in the other thread I figured I might as well go through it now or I probably never will. Think I'm most of the way through it, up to the desert dungeon with adult Link.