PDA

View Full Version : EA executive hints of possible acquisition of Crytek

Pages : [1] 2

jAkUp
08-27-06, 02:10 AM
no.. no.. nooooooooo :(

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/08/25/ea_may_acxquire_crytek/

Chicago (IL) - A report published in a German newspaper today suggests that Electronic Arts (EA) could snuggle up with Crytek closer and beyond the distribution deal for the upcoming Crysis first-person-shooter. The developer of FarCry would be the second German game developer EA would be acquiring within a short period of time.

Rayman1968
08-27-06, 02:16 AM
Just shoot me....

jAkUp
08-27-06, 02:23 AM
If this is true, I guess its safe to say Crysis will probably be the last good PC game from Crytek.

arioch21
08-27-06, 02:43 AM
We are borg, resistance is futile.

K007
08-27-06, 03:51 AM
http://newvaderemo.ytmnd.com/

BioHazZarD
08-27-06, 04:22 AM
of course :D

Becoming
08-27-06, 04:25 AM
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/6341/logonojustsayno480dr5.gif

grey_1
08-27-06, 06:10 AM
This would just suck.

Edge
08-27-06, 08:08 AM
Anyone wanna take bets on how long it's going to take after the buyout before there's a mass departure of employees? It's pretty sad that we almost need a chart to keep track of the number of developers EA has ruined.

Mike S.
08-27-06, 08:43 AM
EA sucks big time.

|MaguS|
08-27-06, 10:17 AM
EA sucks big time.

Yes because its them offering money to Crytek... but Crytek still rocks even thought they are selling their company to EA (EA isn't doing a hostile takeover).

ENU291
08-27-06, 10:30 AM
Damn You EA!!!

oldsk00l
08-27-06, 10:35 AM
Yes because its them offering money to Crytek... but Crytek still rocks even thought they are selling their company to EA (EA isn't doing a hostile takeover).

Yes, resident PS3/EA apologist.

EA sucks because they take franchises and ruin them. If it makes a sustainable return then they milk it and give it a contemporary spin. Proof of EA's idiocy is the resistance Will Right faces everytime he tries to do something new. What confounds me is how he is successful time after time yet EA thinks his ideas will always lose money.

EA is a corpulent miserable body that simply absorbs whatever it "acquires" in the process chewing up and spitting out the majority of the talent and identity of the studio. Crytek will just become "EA" and Crysis will just be part of a brand. Crytek won't get the budget anymore to do anything different than jungle/tech games from now on.

But then again, you have exuded a preference for moribund mediocrity and strictly profitability. Seriously, you have a sh1t taste for games, maybe that's from working at EA as a secretary or something.

SH64
08-27-06, 10:37 AM
I hope this dosent come out to be true :thumbdwn:

speaking of EA .. where's GGX ?? :p

oldsk00l
08-27-06, 10:38 AM
Anyone wanna take bets on how long it's going to take after the buyout before there's a mass departure of employees? It's pretty sad that we almost need a chart to keep track of the number of developers EA has ruined.

I think some of them may have had part of the deal so that may make them happy for a short while. Maybe even 6 months. When they want to move onto a new project and EA pulls the plug on it unless it's another Crysis/Far Cry game, yeah that's for sure when the last remnant leaves.

It's a shame to see Crytek go down the toilet, one way or the other we will no longer see much of that name anymore.

Mr_LoL
08-27-06, 10:43 AM
Ea do some good games though. Command and conquer and battlefield 2 are 2 that spring to mind.

Gaco
08-27-06, 10:50 AM
Oh f*** :(

oldsk00l
08-27-06, 11:08 AM
Ea do some good games though. Command and conquer and battlefield 2 are 2 that spring to mind.

I will concede that EA has produced a couple good ones. Fight Night Round 3 was very good for example. Battlefield 2 is also good. Hopefully they are keeping those employees happy.

|MaguS|
08-27-06, 11:09 AM

Burnout? The Lord of the Rings Series? MoH (minus PA), SSX Series, Freedom Fighters, Spores (looking good IMO), NFS Series (Other then Underground 2)

BTW Im not a fan of their sports series, I think they are horrible but im defending them here because I find it funny that you all bitch at EA for buying companies when it should be the company thats being purchased that you should complain about. Many of the recent developers they purchased were privatly owned and could only be purchased if the owners wanted to sell to EA, which we see they did.

I can't hate a company that knows how to do business and make money.

jAkUp
08-27-06, 11:29 AM
I dunno, IMO EA has ruined BF2.

Look at all these lame expansion packs that are released every 3 months, and BF2142 with no real dramatic changes in the game. EA is keeping Dice from making any real progress on the franchise.

And this doesn't really effect us, but the Sims franchise is an absolute joke, you can see where EA focus is. Not to mention Westwood and Bullfrog.

And yes, the NFS series is decent, but they haven't had any innovation since NFS: PU. I have been a huge NFS fan since Need for Speed 1 and in the early days they made huge strides. Both in the physics and graphics. Not the same anymore, in fact they have seemed to take a step backward.

And about "not hating a company that knows how to do business and make money." Well, drug dealers know how to do business and make money. That doesn't make them good though :)

|MaguS|
08-27-06, 11:34 AM
I dunno, IMO EA has ruined BF2.

Look at all these lame expansion packs that are released every 3 months, and BF2142 with no real dramatic changes in the game. EA is keeping Dice from making any real progress on the franchise.

And this doesn't really effect us, but the Sims franchise is an absolute joke, you can see where EA focus is. Not to mention Westwood and Bullfrog.

And yes, the NFS series is decent, but they haven't had any innovation since NFS: PU. I have been a huge NFS fan since Need for Speed 1 and in the early days they made huge strides. Not the same anymore.

Whos to say DICE isn't at fault with the direction of BF Series? I mean you all make it sound like the CEO of EA is the designer... DICE designs the games and then presents it to the marketing department, if they see something they like the approve its development. DICE could just like rehasing their work because it makes it easy for them, It wouldn't be hard to throw in a new twist in the rules of the game but that hasn't happened yet.

Look at the Sims series, It might not be interesting to use but its actually continually selling well and has made some large changes since the originals release. Sure there are tons of expansion packs but each pack actually adds to the game further rather then rehashing the same content. The console and handheld versions actually differ from the PC counterpart so its not a straight port, meaning their designers are actually trying to evolve the game to some degree while keeping its original goal.

I liked most of the NFS series, Underground 2 and the non PS2 versions of HP were a disappointment but MW rocked in my opinion.

Mr_LoL
08-27-06, 12:03 PM
Thing about EA is maximising profits to keep their share holders happy. Fact is they get away with far too many rehashes of games. Just look at Fifa and the Madden series. That series has been going nowhere for a couple of years now. They inroduce one little gameplay tweak and thats enough as people will still buy it. They get away with every year.

Becoming
08-27-06, 12:14 PM
Yes all the the damn football fans who buy it just for a current roster every year let them get away with being lazy.

arioch21
08-27-06, 12:21 PM
Thing about EA is maximising profits to keep their share holders happy. Fact is they get away with far too many rehashes of games. Just look at Fifa and the Madden series. That series has been going nowhere for a couple of years now. They inroduce one little gameplay tweak and thats enough as people will still buy it. They get away with every year.

is EA to blame for that or the people buying it ?. There are a few games that I like coming out of the EA camp, but aslong as people buy their games I guess they are doing something right. Like they say if you dont like it then dont buy it, nothing hurts them more then losing money.

I liked BF2, but I didnt spend extra cash on their expansions and addons, I dont think that game gets enough support and now they releasing 2142 a year later which to me is pretty much the same game, Im not going to buy it.

GamerGuyX
08-27-06, 12:28 PM
I can't hate a company that knows how to do business and make money.

Or that you worked for previously...