PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP!! EVGA 7950, Intel D975XBX, Silicon Image RAID5!

chairman
08-27-06, 02:43 AM
Hello Fellow nVidia Lovers,

I am in some pretty DEEP doo doo. I was very excited to recieve my EVGA 7950 on Monday, but have been in regret since install and I hope someone can help.

My setup is a Intel D975XBX-B02 Motherboard, PDC 3.73EE CPU, 4GB RAM, 1 Seagate 500GB SATA Boot Drive, Onboard Silicon Image RAID in a RAID 5 configuration across 4 Seagate 500GB SATA Drives for storage, and this DAMN POS Evga 7950. The system has been up since April, and never had and problems with my original Evga 7600 GS.

I am a quadriplegic in a wheelchair and work/play from a computer. So when I heard of the release of the 7950, and saw my motherboard on the 7950 HCL, I had to have one. (Quake 4 was calling me;)

The problem hit as soon as I put the card in. After windows was finished loading, I noticed my RAID Drive was no longer availabe and I had a yellow bang on the Silicon Image (SI) RAID Driver in the device manager. I pulled the 7950 back out as soon as I saw the SI Driver crash. I went back to my 7600 and the driver went back to normal, but the RAID Drive never came back. Now windows reports corruption on the "MFT$" file and cannot access the drive. The drive doesn't even show up in the Disk management utility. During boot up, the SI BIOS says the array is healthy, but windows cannot see it. I stand to loose 1.1TB of my Personal Data some of which is medically vital.

Does anyone know of a utility that can see a SI Array upon boot and repair the MFT$, or give me access to the data on the array for extraction to another local drive or USB drive? Formatting my machine would be a bummer, but I would survive. The loss of the data on the RAID would be catastrophic.

This is the kind of issue I would expect from ATI.

I have called EVGA Support, and they told me they would have to talk to nVidia. WTF!!! I then called Intel Support, and they haven't even seen the 7950, much less know it's issues. How can EVGA/nVidia put out a new "King Ding-a-Ling" $600 Card and not test the RAID function on a Motherboard that they approved for their HCL?? I have heard of this also on an ASUS MB with Onboard SI RAID also on the HCL. Wait till a big design firm deploys these to Artists/Engineers with RAID Configurations. A video card that causes data loss. I hope EVGA is ready to buy my card back.

I really appreciate your help. Sorry for the rant...

The Chairman.

john19055
08-29-06, 05:25 AM
The board supports ATI crossFIre ,but as long as you have the one PCIe set at 16x it should work fine ,just make sure you have not loaded any ATI video drivers by mistake and if you have onboard graphics make sure they are disable ,and if you have peg setting on in the Bios make sure it is disable ,then install it in the 16x PCIe slot and load the newest drivers 91.45 and make sure you set it to auto-select on the properties and do not set it to AFR or SFR or it will cause you problems and make sure Hardware Acceleration is set to single display mode. I don't really understand why it is messing with your raid set-up.

JohnEJohn
08-29-06, 02:51 PM
Ygpm, chairman

Bman212121
08-30-06, 11:52 AM
I would start with the simple things. First I would try to reinstall the driver for the Raid, as that may solve the problem right there. You could even try using another install on another drive and install the drivers on that and see if the drive magically appears.

I would also check that you didn't loosen any cables when you made the swap of the cards.

Then, you can try running a chkdsk from a command window and see if there are errors that need to be fixed on the drive. As long as it shows up when your booting all of your data shouldn't have gone anywhere. Of course you can't chkdsk if you don't have a drive letter.

Try somethings like that and see if you get anywhere. Also, if you do get it all working again, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, MAKE A BACKUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SlowJoeBlow
08-30-06, 01:15 PM
What kind of power supply are you using. That's a pretty hefty setup you got there.

chairman
09-03-06, 01:24 AM
What kind of power supply are you using. That's a pretty hefty setup you got there.

SJB and others,

I have an FSP Epsilon 700W. Heck, I am not even worried about the 7950 anymore. The data is what is killing me.

At 1.1TB, it is not that easy, or cheap, to have multiple backups around. I am going to use OnTrack Recovery Pro with 2 Seagate 750's to try to get my data. If anyone has any ideas for better extraction SW, I'd appreciate the shout out.

thank y'all so much! <-- from Texas

The Chairman

anthonyl
09-03-06, 07:02 PM
Sounds like a BIOS setting or driver problem... I have the Intel board and a 7950GX2 running real smooth!! I dont have RAID.

Have you tried the latest INTEL BIOS?