PDA

View Full Version : GFX vs CPU!

Pages : [1] 2

ATOJAR
08-27-06, 09:49 AM
Im thinking of getting a second 7800GTX to run in sli, im running a AMD 64 3700+ San Diego 1MB cache, would this cpu be good enough to be able to cope with the power of the two cards in sli(at default speeds of 2.2GHz)? what i mean is it wouldent choke the cards and reduce there performance would it? If so what minimum CPU would you think would be able to cope with the two cards?

Thanks.

Xion X2
08-27-06, 11:07 AM
Why do you ask at default speeds? I see that you have your CPU overclocked? Why would you want to back it back down to 2.2?

At the current speeds, you should be fine. Dual-core might help you out a little with SLi and maybe with future titles, but that's a pretty good processor you have on your hands--especially if you can overclock it that high and have it running stable.

ATOJAR
08-27-06, 11:39 AM
Why do you ask at default speeds? I see that you have your CPU overclocked? Why would you want to back it back down to 2.2?

At the current speeds, you should be fine. Dual-core might help you out a little with SLi and maybe with future titles, but that's a pretty good processor you have on your hands--especially if you can overclock it that high and have it running stable.

Ive had this cpu@2.95Ghz lol played bf2 for well over 1 hour and it ran fine(however i didnt try a prime95 test), I would just rather it be ok at default settings as well as overclocked!

|MaguS|
08-27-06, 11:40 AM
Your good, Go SLi... The boost will be worth it.

ViN86
08-27-06, 12:50 PM
Im thinking of getting a second 7800GTX to run in sli, im running a AMD 64 3700+ San Diego 1MB cache, would this cpu be good enough to be able to cope with the power of the two cards in sli(at default speeds of 2.2GHz)? what i mean is it wouldent choke the cards and reduce there performance would it? If so what minimum CPU would you think would be able to cope with the two cards?

Thanks.
dont waste your money on a second 7800GTX, wait for the nextgen cards. thats why i havent gone SLi.

stncttr908
08-27-06, 02:10 PM
Well, gaming at 1280x1024 relies a lot more on the CPU than say 1600x1200. At that res it certainly doesn't make sense to get a second 7800 though.

nV`andrew
08-27-06, 02:18 PM
dont waste your money on a second 7800GTX, wait for the nextgen cards. thats why i havent gone SLi.

word

Well, gaming at 1280x1024 relies a lot more on the CPU than say 1600x1200. At that res it certainly doesn't make sense to get a second 7800 though.

word, again

|MaguS|
08-27-06, 02:31 PM
Another 7800GTX could be had for under $200, I see no reason to jump on one now, the performance boost is well worth it.

ATOJAR
08-27-06, 03:37 PM
At the moment im playing bf2 @ 1600x1200 rez and all other settings at max with no problem, 1600x1200 is the highest rez my monitor can handle and to be honest i simply cant afford to go for a next gen card and a new monitor when i second 7800GTX will do just fine, i want to make sure i have a decet system ready for bf 2142! :)

marqmajere
08-27-06, 03:49 PM
Why is there always someone who says "wait for the next gen cards?" in every one of these threads?? By the time those "next gen" cards hit the market, they'll be telling you to wait for the next batch. It never ends.

Get another 7800GTX. You'll be good for a long time. :)

SH64
08-27-06, 04:04 PM
Why is there always someone who says "wait for the next gen cards?" in every one of these threads??

QFT.
i dont know why honestly .. maybe it has something to do with people's psychology or something.
its getting so repetitive that i'm starting to get used of it heh :)

What the man said ^

ATOJAR
08-27-06, 04:14 PM
I dont know how the hell people started mentioning next gen cards anyway lol? All i asked was would my AMD 64 3700+ San Diego 1MB cache be good enough to run x2 7800GTX's in sli and not choke or hold them back them in anyway!

SH64
08-27-06, 04:18 PM
Your CPU should be enough to handle 2x7800GTXs even @1280x1024 .. esp if you throw some AA & AF to the mix.
i dont know anyone who plays @12x10 without them anyways :)

& keep in mind that new games require much GPU horsepower that you'll be GPU limited even @1280x1024,noAA,noAF/4xAF.

stncttr908
08-27-06, 04:51 PM
BF2142 probably won't tax your graphics subsystem more than BF2.

Lazaredz
08-27-06, 06:19 PM
Short Answer: Your CPU should not negatively affect the performance of 2 7800 in SLI IF you are running at 1600x1200. At lower resolutions you CPU will be the bottleneck.

ATOJAR
08-27-06, 07:15 PM
At lower resolutions you CPU will be the bottleneck.

Hows this?

Xion X2
08-27-06, 08:00 PM
From what I've heard, 2142 is using the same engine. Hope that's not true, though--but if it is, you shouldn't have any problem running it with your current setup.

And the reason so many say "wait for next gen card" at this point is because of Direct X 10. If DX10 wasn't around the corner the cries wouldn't be so loud.

If there was ever a time you should try and wait for a next-gen card, that time is now. DX10 will be a massive leap over DX9 in every way imaginable.

ATOJAR
08-27-06, 08:11 PM
DX10 will be a massive leap over DX9 in every way imaginable.

Yip..... including the price! lol

CaptNKILL
08-27-06, 09:01 PM
From what I've heard, 2142 is using the same engine. Hope that's not true, though--but if it is, you shouldn't have any problem running it with your current setup.

Yep, its the same. In fact, its pretty much the same exact game with a couple new features and laser gun sounds. :p

On my system the beta seems to run better than BF2 as well.

SquireSCA
08-27-06, 09:44 PM

Thanks.

I wouldn't waste your time with SLI. It's great for bragging rights, and not much else. I would invest in a faster single card solution.

I have 7800GTX SLI and am getting rid of it, so I do speak from experience.

nekrosoft13
08-28-06, 07:40 AM

And the reason so many say "wait for next gen card" at this point is because of Direct X 10. If DX10 wasn't around the corner the cries wouldn't be so loud.

If there was ever a time you should try and wait for a next-gen card, that time is now. DX10 will be a massive leap over DX9 in every way imaginable.

dx10 this, dx10 that, blah blah, since vista most likelly will be delayed till spring, dx10 specs are probably not finalized yet, xp will never get dx10. and when dx10 and vista does come out, you won't see any dx10 games for a while.

if he wants or needs a card now, go for it,

btw, bf2141 does use the sme engine, i been playing it for a few days now

Slammin
08-28-06, 11:08 AM
I wouldn't waste your time with SLI. It's great for bragging rights, and not much else. I would invest in a faster single card solution.

I have 7800GTX SLI and am getting rid of it, so I do speak from experience.

Sli doubles my fps in GRAW. Some other games, Sli doesn't do as much, but for playing at the highest resolutions, upto 1920x1200 (monitor's native) with the eye candy cranked up, without Sli, things get really unplayable.

I bought these 7800GTX's back when they first came out but would absolutely love a pair of fast 7900's to replace them with but cannot justify the $$$.

I can't think of a good reason not to get the additional card.

Xion X2
08-28-06, 01:19 PM
dx10 this, dx10 that, blah blah, since vista most likelly will be delayed till spring, dx10 specs are probably not finalized yet, xp will never get dx10. and when dx10 and vista does come out, you won't see any dx10 games for a while.

if he wants or needs a card now, go for it,

btw, bf2141 does use the sme engine, i been playing it for a few days now

A business version of Vista is said to be out in November. Where do you get your info that it's been delayed until Spring '07?

For someone who doesn't want to fork out the cash for Vista along with a DX10 card, then yeah--go ahead and buy a card now. But for the true enthusiast who really cares about the best graphics & performance--well, they should hold out until DX10. And here are the reasons why:

1) DX10 cards will have the capability to enable certain graphical features that DX9 cards won't--even if games may still be programmed primarily in DX9. This much has been said already. It could be a simple in-game graphics option like the "next gen" setting on Tomb Raider Legends.

2) DX10 cards will play DX9 games better than the highest DX9 card will. They're rumored to have almost twice the transistor count, though I don't think this has been publically verified yet.

3) DX10 cards will operate on a much better optimized graphics platform (DX10). There's not even a comparison that can be made between how efficient DX10 is vs. DX9.

To each his own, but I'm waiting.

ATOJAR
08-28-06, 04:25 PM
well ive been thinking of changing my mind and going for one XFX 7900GTX 512MB with a default gpu clock speed of 675MHz and memeory clock speeds of 1.63GHz.

jabloomf1230
08-30-06, 07:54 PM
Why is there always someone who says "wait for the next gen cards?" in every one of these threads?? By the time those "next gen" cards hit the market, they'll be telling you to wait for the next batch. It never ends.

:D I think the people that say to wait, prolly won't buy a new G80 etc. when they come out either. Besides, if you're going to wait, it's going to be a lot longer than Sept-Oct. First, Vista is nowhere near being a production consumer OS. Second, the first batch of G80s and R600s are still rumored to be 90/80 nm and that means they will run plenty hot under load. Who wants this first bunch of cards? Why not wait until the die size is knocked down to 65 nm? In fact, why not wait until some DX10 games come out? Oy maybe wait until 45nm chips surface in 2008?:p