PDA

View Full Version : Oblivion Performance

Pages : [1] 2

Rhythm2099
08-27-06, 01:39 PM
I'm new to the forums and wanted to say hi. And also ask about the performance other players are getting while playing Oblivion.

When I first got Oblivion it played very well. Outdoor fps where around 20-40s but now framerate was gone lower. While running through forests, I'm getting 10-30s. I dunno what happened. Maybe its some of the mods I'm using. I know one of them add a couple more seconds to loading times.

I'm running an AMD Athlon x2 64 4200, 2gb of ram, and SLI Geforces 7900GT's. Just wondering what framerates other people are getting. Especially people with a similar set up like mine.

Oh, and I'm running everything max with HDR enabled. With a resolution of 1280*1024. I'm gonna lower it to 1024*768. Perhaps it'll make a difference. So anyways, what the average FPS everyone else getting?

pakotlar
08-27-06, 09:46 PM
I'm new to the forums and wanted to say hi. And also ask about the performance other players are getting while playing Oblivion.

When I first got Oblivion it played very well. Outdoor fps where around 20-40s but now framerate was gone lower. While running through forests, I'm getting 10-30s. I dunno what happened. Maybe its some of the mods I'm using. I know one of them add a couple more seconds to loading times.

I'm running an AMD Athlon x2 64 4200, 2gb of ram, and SLI Geforces 7900GT's. Just wondering what framerates other people are getting. Especially people with a similar set up like mine.

Oh, and I'm running everything max with HDR enabled. With a resolution of 1280*1024. I'm gonna lower it to 1024*768. Perhaps it'll make a difference. So anyways, what the average FPS everyone else getting?

more information. ini tweak's? the 256MB's on the GT's may be hurting you if you are using any tex. replacement mods.

SH64
08-27-06, 10:27 PM
In outdoors you'll be usually CPU limited & performance is around what you get on most X2 processors.
i have a 4800+ & getting 20-30fps outdoors with no mods expect for 1 texture mod.

pakotlar
08-28-06, 05:01 AM
In outdoors you'll be usually CPU limited & performance is around what you get on most X2 processors.
i have a 4800+ & getting 20-30fps outdoors with no mods expect for 1 texture mod.

That isn't true. You're mostly GPU limited outdoors, and CPU limited in towns, and dungeons to a lesser extent. Any foliage causes GPU's to crawl. I have a x1900xt @ 670/1600 with a 2.52 ghz a64 single core, and I get about 30fps min in forests (1680*1050 HDR, all max, grass to 2k)

SH64
08-28-06, 11:43 PM
That isn't true. You're mostly GPU limited outdoors, and CPU limited in towns, and dungeons to a lesser extent. Any foliage causes GPU's to crawl. I have a x1900xt @ 670/1600 with a 2.52 ghz a64 single core, and I get about 30fps min in forests (1680*1050 HDR, all max, grass to 2k)
Sorry about that. yeah well in outdoors there seems to be both GPU & CPU limitation esp when enemies/AI/NPC are around (gangs , guards , people like farmers ..etc) , otherwise its mostly GPU limited.
CPU limitation appears at its best in towns , yep!

Rhythm2099
08-29-06, 03:14 AM
I've cranked out some better performance now. I took away the tweaks which added reflection to misc objects, trees and characters. That helped. Changed tree canopies to 1024. And other stuff too.

And no, I'm not using texture replacements mods. Not full texture replacements anyway, just stuff like bottles and books.

You know what I notice makes a huge difference. I mean absolutely huge. Turning distant lands off. I'm not gonna do that but still, its good to know. It reminds me of Morrowind too. Lots of fog.

AdmiralHalsey..
08-29-06, 05:47 AM
I had my sig system with sli 7900gts at one time, oblivion was still a dog. I don't know why, just letting you know its not you or your systems fault. P.S. Texture swapping to ram increased a lot with sli, is it like this for you? CAPNKILLS texturre pak, or whatever his name is [I like him, just don't know his name] has no performace impact that I can see. I also have the water reflecting everything, but it looks bad. No performace cut there, either. CPU Bottleneck maybe? Couldn't be bad pc optimization and failure to utilize dual core, no, deffinatly not. :)

SH64
08-29-06, 07:56 AM
And no, I'm not using texture replacements mods. Not full texture replacements anyway, just stuff like bottles and books.

You know what I notice makes a huge difference. I mean absolutely huge. Turning distant lands off. I'm not gonna do that but still, its good to know. It reminds me of Morrowind too. Lots of fog.
I think the texture replacements will mostly load up the texture memory thus only minimal performance hit to the framerate. (thats as far as i experianced myself anyway).

another feature that makes huge difference is the grass density.
try higher "iMinGrassSize" value & see the difference for yourself.
i have mine set to 130 instead of 80.

SH64
08-29-06, 07:59 AM
CAPNKILLS texturre pak, or whatever his name is [I like him, just don't know his name]
CaptnKILL .. i dont know him much , but i've heard he's only good for making troubles & texture packs :p

CaptNKILL
08-29-06, 10:18 AM
CaptnKILL .. i dont know him much , but i've heard he's only good for making troubles & texture packs :p
(dont forget smilies!)
(pirate)

Destroy
06-12-08, 10:44 AM
Damn, this game still runs like crap.

Did a vanilla install with only adding Mart's Monster Mod, few distance ini tweaks and DarkUI added in. Frame rate is crap in the 16-18fps range at 19x10 4xAA 16xAF during action and in the 22-25fps range when walking in medium dense areas.

Will I get a LARGE jump in frame rate if I buy a 2.66GHz Quad core(current max for my motherboard) over my 2.13GHz Duo? Will it maintain 30fps min during all combat and graphic situations?

breathemetal
06-12-08, 11:00 AM
Damn, this game still runs like crap.

Did a vanilla install with only adding Mart's Monster Mod, few distance ini tweaks and DarkUI added in. Frame rate is crap in the 16-18fps range at 19x10 4xAA 16xAF during action and in the 22-25fps range when walking in medium dense areas.

Will I get a LARGE jump in frame rate if I buy a 2.66GHz Quad core(current max for my motherboard) over my 2.13GHz Duo? Will it maintain 30fps min during all combat and graphic situations?

overclock!

Destroy
06-12-08, 11:32 AM
overclock!

Can't very much, too darn unstable, hot and noisy. Doesn't do much for frame rate.

|MaguS|
06-12-08, 11:56 AM
Disable Ttransperent AA, it hurts oblivion ALOT due to the games foilage.

HiCZoK4
06-12-08, 12:34 PM
just tune imingrass to 130 and game will work 30fps faster extreeiors

Destroy
06-12-08, 01:08 PM
Ok so 2.25 years later and we still have to hack effects off or down to get this game to play well?? :thumbdwn: The whole point of my reinstall of this game was to play it in all its gfx and mod glory.

|MaguS|
06-12-08, 01:09 PM
Ok so 2.25 years later and we still have to hack effects off or down to get this game to play well?? :thumbdwn:

Because the engine is bloated.

shilk
06-12-08, 03:03 PM
It is. They even had to cut out all of the AI the game promised when it was being developed. They even took out the shdow and shader processes on some stuff in order to release it in a playable state. They release a game, and the mod community makes it into a better game. If anything, they should just release a script package much like the RPG Tsukuru series and just let us make our own games from here on out. :p

And about the lag. It could be very well some addons or scripts you're using as well.

Be careful about what you add as far as mods go. Make sure you're not installing a mod for Shivering Isles or the 1.2 retail patch if it's not compatible. A ton of mods require them, so make sure you read up on it thoroughly. Plus most of them haven't been updated in ages.

Make sure you've installed them right, and read the feedback before installing them. You could be missing a dependency addon or something. I'm running Oblivion right now with heavy mods, and it's pretty smooth for me. I grabbed all of mine at tesnexus. The description, feedback and other options make the mods easier to sift through and use. ;)

Destroy
06-19-08, 09:48 PM
So I'm thinking about getting a E8500 and new MB to OC hit 4GHz and actually play Oblivion(and other stuff of course).

Suggestions on a $200 or less MB that's very future proof ?

|MaguS|
06-19-08, 10:15 PM
Nothing is future proof...

crainger
06-19-08, 10:33 PM
I once tried using Silicon to make my PC future proof.

FastRedPonyCar
06-20-08, 11:37 AM
I used to rock a 7900GT and would just turn off grass completely.

First off, leave the resolution where it is.

Hit the ~ key and then type TG and hit enter and the grass goes away and the frame rate goes up.

Also, the shadow filtering hits the performance pretty hard so setting that to low and dropping the exterior shadows down, specular distance down, and turning self shadows, grass shadows and tree canopy shadows off will all add up and help bring the FPS up without really detracting that much from the overall visual experience. Actor fade may can be reduced as well.

try these tweaks and see if it helps much.

Destroy
06-20-08, 01:20 PM
Does grass and shadows affect CPU? I'm CPU limited at the moment, not GPU limited.

shilk
06-20-08, 01:36 PM
Yes. Less processes = more horsepower.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=69492

Just use that and you should be fine. Might want to check out tesnexus.com and check out some mods that make the game more playable. There's paralax and shader fixes all over the place.

Destroy
06-21-08, 11:17 AM
I refuse to turn gfx down; as a gfx wh*re that's against my grain.

So instead I'm helping the economy ...

CPU INTEL|C2D E8500 3.16G 775 45N % - OEM (Qty=1, Price=$219.99)

MB GIGABYTE GA-EP35C-DS3R P35 775 R - Retail (Qty=1, Price=$119.99)

May even spend more once I see how the 4870 does vs 280GTX.