PDA

View Full Version : 30 to 50% of 360s bad?

Athena
08-28-06, 01:40 PM
So an EA rep dumps the bomb that his company believed the failer rate of 360s os closer to 30 to 50% and the new Capcom game Dead Raising proves this.

So of course Captom and Microsoft say that is a pile off smoking word vomit.

My question is how is EA and their rep not getting nailed to the wall for slander?

Zelda_fan
08-28-06, 01:46 PM
lol source?

30-50% of 360s bad is an absurd number. I don't personally know anyone who has a bad 360, and mine works just fine.

Namrok
08-28-06, 01:47 PM
I'd beleive it. At least for the original batch of them.

PSYCHODAD
08-28-06, 01:53 PM
I purchased one from the original batch. It's running fine, so far(crosses fingers). In fact it has been running all weekend(Dead Rising).

LiquidX
08-28-06, 02:00 PM
I think alot of Xbots try to downplay the failure rate of the 360. I have had pretty much every system and I cant remember failuer rates being so high. Also I played Dead Rising frequently and never had a problem. That EA comment about 30-50% is new to me. Is it from today and can you please link this story?

saturnotaku
08-28-06, 02:08 PM
They probably all fail while playing Madden or some other ****** EA game because the consoles can't stand how bad their programming is. :rolleyes:

Edge
08-28-06, 02:11 PM
30%-50% seems a little ridiculous...granted it seems to be quite high (above the 1.5%-3% figure Microsoft gave, anyway), but that would be around 1.5 million consoles. I really don't think it's feasable that Microsoft is needing to replace every second or third console they made, that would equate to around 450 million dollers lost from broken consoles alone. Even Microsoft would be pulling the plug on it by then simply because it's a loss they could never make up.

Not to mention it would be getting a LOT more attention than it is, if any electronic device had that high of a failure rate that's getting as much buzz as the Xbox 360, it would be on every major news source out there.

Sounds more like they're talking about launch consoles and how many have failed by now rather than the "average" failure rate for the Xbxo 360s out there (although I still know quite a few people that bought Xbox 360s when they were released and they haven't had any problems...)

brady
08-28-06, 02:12 PM
FWIW, I had a launch console and it crapped out on me. I do think the failure rate is higher then reported by Microsoft. I also think that the problems have been worked out.

GamerGuyX
08-28-06, 02:13 PM
I've never had a problem with Dead Rising EVER. It's also my most played game for 360.

I've also never had a problem with any other game of mine either. My console was purchased on launch day mind you (first in line at my local BB bitches!).

ENU291
08-28-06, 02:17 PM
So an EA rep dumps the bomb that his company believed the failer rate of 360s os closer to 30 to 50% and the new Capcom game Dead Raising proves this.

So of course Captom and Microsoft say that is a pile off smoking word vomit.

My question is how is EA and their rep not getting nailed to the wall for slander?
Where are you getting this information? Post some links. I don't know if failure rates are in the 30 to 50% but my launch 360 died on me and a close friend of mine is on his 3rd 360.

evilchris
08-28-06, 03:55 PM
I'm glad I've never had a problem with my day 1 box either.

Athena
08-28-06, 03:56 PM
Found the Email in my trash folder, here is the original story and link:
MS Denies EA Employee Claim of High Failure Rates Among X360s

Is the Xbox 360 failure rate higher than we think? And is Capcom's recent release of Dead Rising contributing to the problem? Microsoft and Capcom refute the claims of an EA employee who suggested that 360 failure rates were in the 30-50% range.

http://www.uptilt.com/c.html?rtr=on&s=31m,mfjo,spu,90t2,kvks,lpgj,29iw

evilchris
08-28-06, 03:59 PM
If that failure rate were true, MS could not hide it. It would be major news.

S.I.N
08-28-06, 04:05 PM
Haha did you try to read the whole thing?(pirate) He said its 30 to 50% out of the 300 360's they personaly have not out of what everyone who bought one at retail has but thats still flipping high. I must have logged close to 20 hours on my buds 360 with dead rising with no probs.

Huge PS3 with proper cooling for the win.(nana2)

LurkerLito
08-28-06, 05:20 PM
I am sure there is some kind of overheating with the 360's, I got mine in the spring but it now kind of has a video glitch every now and then after playing a long time, especially when I was playing Tomb Raider near the end. I played like 3 hours straight and by the end every once in a while the screen would just flash a grid like pattern then go back to normal (as if the ati chip was drawing to the buffer but it got sent over before it was finished). But I have never really had any other problem with the 360. Though I have locked it up once or twice but I couldn't reproduce it. I don't remember having that kind of problem with the 360 before the summer. I would guess that the glitch thing will go away once it gets cool enough that my room temp is below 80F when I am playing.

ENU291
08-28-06, 07:24 PM
I suspect that the 360's CPU is the main cause of most of these problems. Once the die size of the Xenon tri-core CPU is reduced early next year most of these problems should go away for good.

Peoples-Agent
08-29-06, 12:31 AM
Wonder if it's any coincidence that folks who have theirs hooked upto XB Live get less problems.

Maybe the Game/System Updates do more than we realise.

Oblivion crapped out on me, froze the whole machine up. Since I hooked upto Live and got the update, not done it since.
Strange.

gram_vaz
08-29-06, 01:29 AM
Every device has a failure rate. It's just with the internet forums we hear more of the bad. People don't usually post when everything is ok just for the hell of it but boy do they like to whine. Anyone remember how many had to run their playstations upside down to make the console play right because of overheating problems. Or the ps2's disk read error problems.

Toss3
08-29-06, 05:48 AM
Even if some of the xbox360:s are failing, microsoft has done a good job replacing the ones that don't work. I haven't read about one single person who wouldn't have gotten a replacement without much hassle. ;)

saturnotaku
08-29-06, 06:28 AM
Even if some of the xbox360:s are failing, microsoft has done a good job replacing the ones that don't work. I haven't read about one single person who wouldn't have gotten a replacement without much hassle.

Exactly. Whenever I had to deal with MS support for my Xbox 1 (my 360 is working perfectly), they were always prompt and very courteous. The one actual repair I had to have done was taken care of in less than a week, and MS paid shipping both ways.

ENU291
08-29-06, 08:07 AM
Exactly. Whenever I had to deal with MS support for my Xbox 1 (my 360 is working perfectly), they were always prompt and very courteous. The one actual repair I had to have done was taken care of in less than a week, and MS paid shipping both ways.
I got the same treatment when my launch 360 died. Prompt, courteous and pretty much hassle free.

rek075
08-29-06, 11:04 AM
Haha did you try to read the whole thing?(pirate) He said its 30 to 50% out of the 300 360's they personaly have not out of what everyone who bought one at retail has but thats still flipping high. I must have logged close to 20 hours on my buds 360 with dead rising with no probs.

Huge PS3 with proper cooling for the win.(nana2)

Going by Sony's track-record, I'm sure the PS3 will set new world records for hardware failure.