PDA

View Full Version : Crytek: Next Gen Consoles Are Too Weak for Crysis

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Connaught
08-28-06, 02:36 PM
http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/11651/Crytek-Next-Gen-Consoles-Are-Too-Weak-for-Crysis/

Either Crytek is saying that they are too weak because next gen consoles do not support dx10 thus not allowing the hardware to reach its full potential, or that the hardware inside both next gen consoles are not sufficent enough to compensate for the lack of dx10 support...

Personally, I think Crysis looks great right now on dx9 and as happy as I am to hear that a developer won't allow a game to be released in a sub-standard vision of what they intend for the product to achieve...arn't they still offering crysis in the dx9 version at release? Then why not premit that version to slip to the consoles?

As an aside; Far Cry Instinct worked very well with the xbox and it was using a lower directx than the pc version of Far Cry (correct?) and less hardware power, perhaps Crytek is planning on doing the same for next gen console...which if they do I would have no problems with...except for the fact that I would have to upgrade my comp for crysis :)

ENU291
08-28-06, 02:42 PM
I believe what the dev at Crytek was getting at is that in it's current form Crysis requires to much raw horse power to be directly ported over to the 360 or the PS3. I have no doubt that once the PC version is released Crytek will go back and make the necessary adjustments to get the game playable on next-gen consoles.

Zelda_fan
08-28-06, 02:52 PM
hE dOSEN"T KNOA WHT hE IS TLKNG AB0T. 360 iz WEAK but, oF COURSE tEh cELL haz 10X teH P0WAR of tEH pC!!!!

Zelda_fan
08-28-06, 02:54 PM
I believe what the dev at Crytek was getting at is that in it's current form Crysis requires to much raw horse power to be directly ported over to the 360 or the PS3. I have no doubt that once the PC version is released Crytek will go back and make the necessary adjustments to get the game playable on next-gen consoles.

I agree. I mean, if we have first gen 360 games that look like Kameo, GRAW, and PGR3, I have no doubt in my mind that the 360 is capeable of rendering graphics better than Crysis. That is, IF the engine is written from the ground up with the 360 in mind.

ENU291
08-28-06, 02:58 PM
I agree. I mean, if we have first gen 360 games that look like Kameo, GRAW, and PGR3, I have no doubt in my mind that the 360 is capeable of rendering graphics better than Crysis. That is, IF the engine is written from the ground up with the 360 in mind.
Yup... and if you look at titles like GRAW and Tomb Raider:Legend you'll see evidence that games optimized for the 360 will look and play better on the 360 than their PC counter parts.

Mr_LoL
08-28-06, 03:04 PM
Are the 360 xenos dx10 capable? If they are not, I cant see the 360 and ps3 rendering better graphics that crysis especially when the game is running in dx10 mode.

ENU291
08-28-06, 03:08 PM
The Xenos is only partially DX10 capable. The Crysis game code has to be modified to run well on the Xenos GPU.

Zelda_fan
08-28-06, 03:11 PM
The Xenos is only partially DX10 capable. The Crysis game code has to be modified to run well on the Xenos GPU.

I don't know where you got that from. Anything that DX10 supports can be done on the Xenos as well. However, the XBOX360 API and DX10 are two totally different APIs so you really can't compare them.

ralinn
08-28-06, 03:15 PM
Wasn't the E3 build of Crysis running on DX9 anyway? That still looked pretty awesome...

nekrosoft13
08-28-06, 03:19 PM
Are the 360 xenos dx10 capable? If they are not, I cant see the 360 and ps3 rendering better graphics that crysis especially when the game is running in dx10 mode.

x360 doesn't not support dx10

http://www.google.com/search?q=ati+said+xbox+360+not+dx10&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&ie=utf8&oe=utf8

ati confirmed it

Zelda_fan
08-28-06, 03:21 PM
x360 doesn't not support dx10

http://www.google.com/search?q=ati+said+xbox+360+not+dx10&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&ie=utf8&oe=utf8

ati confirmed it

All that means is it cannot run code compiled useing DX10 libraries. The 360 uses a different function library than DX10 so of course that's true.

However, anything that DX10 can do, the Xenos has an equivilent function. It just can't run DX10 code.

Zelda_fan
08-28-06, 03:23 PM
here is what ATI actually said on the issue

http://digitalbattle.com/2006/08/24/ati-denies-dx10-for-xbox360/

“Xbox360 cannot run DX10. The Xbox360 has unique features including memory export that can enable DX10-class functionality such as stream-out. From what we’re hearing, Crysis will support DX9 with some sort of use for DX10 features. It’s likely that those DX10 visuals can be replicated on the Xbox360, but it can’t be properly called DX10.”

ENU291
08-28-06, 03:27 PM
By partially capable I meant that several of the functions needed to be fully DX10 complaint are available in hardware on the Xenos. To be fully complaint the remaining feature list would have to be replicated at the driver level.

Bad_Boy
08-28-06, 03:31 PM
crysis IS getting ported to 360 and ps3. there will be downgrades im assuming but it will be there.

this whole quote is from e3 IIRC, before the 360 and PS3 development was confirmed. I wouldnt read too much into it.

Zelda_fan
08-28-06, 03:32 PM
By partially capable I meant that several of the functions needed to be fully DX10 complaint are available in hardware on the Xenos. To be fully complaint the remaining feature list would have to be replicated at the driver level.

You cannot compare the Xenos GPU to any version of DX. The Xenos isn't DX9 or DX10. It isn't DirectX at all. It is it's own seperate entity. You cannot run any sort of DX code on the 360 period. You don't use "drivers" to access the Xenos, you access it directly.

Now, if the question is, will the 360 be able to produce the same kind of visuals we will see with DX10 hardware? Then the answer is yes, it will.

nekrosoft13
08-28-06, 03:35 PM
Now, if the question is, will the 360 be able to produce the same kind of visuals we will see with DX10 hardware? Then the answer is yes, it will.

i forgot, you must be one of the developers behind xenos.

when ati say "most likelly" as in maybe, you are so sure, that you actually know more.

anticitizenzero
08-28-06, 03:36 PM
Yea, it'll be ported eventually, but its gonna look alot worse, they can't even get F.E.A.R looking decent on the 360, you actually think they'll even come close to Crysis

Zelda_fan
08-28-06, 03:41 PM
Yea, it'll be ported eventually, but its gonna look alot worse, they can't even get F.E.A.R looking decent on the 360, you actually think they'll even come close to Crysis

Actually FEAR looks better on the 360 than it does on the PC. The 360 supports more effects than a DX9 class GPU. This is something that the FEAR devs have stated so don't take my word for it.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/fear/news.html?sid=6155362

In fact, it technically looked better--it seems the developers discovered they had a little extra performance to work with, so they've added high-dynamic range lighting, more-complicated particle systems, and higher-resolution textures to improve the look of the game in subtle but still effective ways.

Zelda_fan
08-28-06, 03:45 PM
i forgot, you must be one of the developers behind xenos.

when ati say "most likelly" as in maybe, you are so sure, that you actually know more.

Current 360 games already look better than anything currently released for PC. That's how I know.

ENU291
08-28-06, 03:47 PM
You cannot compare the Xenos GPU to any version of DX. The Xenos isn't DX9 or DX10. It isn't DirectX at all. It is it's own seperate entity. You cannot run any sort of DX code on the 360 period. You don't use "drivers" to access the Xenos, you access it directly.

Hmmm... let me try this again. The DirectX 10 API has certain requirements that are needed by a GPU to make that GPU fully DirectX 10 complaint. The Xenos GPU found in the Xbox 360 contains many of these requirements but not all. This is what I was aiming at when I stated that the Xenos is partially DX10 capable.

LiquidX
08-28-06, 03:53 PM
Actually it doesnt. The demo in the latest OXM doest really hold up to FEAR maxed out on a good PC.

Actually FEAR looks better on the 360 than it does on the PC. The 360 supports more effects than a DX9 class GPU. This is something that the FEAR devs have stated so don't take my word for it.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/fear/news.html?sid=6155362

Zelda_fan
08-28-06, 04:05 PM
Actually it doesnt. The demo in the latest OXM doest really hold up to FEAR maxed out on a good PC.

I'm simply reiterating a fact confirmed by the dev team.

Zelda_fan
08-28-06, 04:06 PM
Hmmm... let me try this again. The DirectX 10 API has certain requirements that are needed by a GPU to make that GPU fully DirectX 10 complaint. The Xenos GPU found in the Xbox 360 contains many of these requirements but not all. This is what I was aiming at when I stated that the Xenos is partially DX10 capable.

Please provide technical proof for this claim.

nekrosoft13
08-28-06, 04:16 PM
prey looks much better on PC

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6154261/p-4.html

pc wil always have the options to look better

Tork64
08-28-06, 04:23 PM
Damn reading the comments on that page made my day :) Havent seen so many fanboys in denial since HL2 was delayed. But yeah props to Crytek.