PDA

View Full Version : Tekken Dark Resurrection - WOW..and PSP rant...

oldsk00l
08-28-06, 08:15 PM
This game could be priced at $50, and if I had a chance to play it I would gladly pay that sticker price for it.

This is the front runner for the PSP's best game yet.

I got around to picking this game up over the weekend and got a chance to play through about half of the characters doing various modes of play. As far as the graphics go, let's say noticeably better than Soul Calibur...in fact there is quite a bit more character detail and they definitely didn't slouch in the environments either.

Accessibility is this game's primary strength though. I'm no fan of fighter games, so the purchase itself was with trepidation. Once I went through the tutorial and the whole square=left punch triangle=right punch thing was explained to me I had a different approach in general to all my combo attempts early on. I admit I am a notorious button smasher, and on the easy setting this gets you by. What the intuitive benefit from this game is the controls and the natural development you get when just playing. After about two hours of play I went from button smasher to naturally pulling off the right moves as I play through. This is huge to me, it took a while to get this way with soul calibur and I still struggle with it on DOA games. However, on this one it just feels natural to..well..play the game instead of button smashing. Very nice, and the way they setup the play styles of the characters and what the combos actually were...I had fun discovering all the combos I could while playing matches. I then progressed to move the game difficulty up and continue to be impressed at how natural this game feels to move away from button smashing and actually playing the game. Just like the other tekken games...I just love it.

I was completely floored when I was playing as Jinrei, and instead of blocking mid attacks I would start one of his lower leg combos. For one you can usually spot the mid attacks coming, if you can get fast enough you spot them and begin to manuever or counter as you like. Two, doing a leg combo ducks below the mid attack with this character and you completely evade the other player...while taking advantage of the opening by their attack. Very good stuff, and it doesn't take long to get this way with a character.

The mini games are a riot, and some of the character interaction is actually good.

Now the PSP rant...

When I first got this thing I was impressed by it's beauty. The thing was sleek, smooth, and it even had a couple of nice games. Wipeout, Untold Legends, Ridge Racer, and the ATV game. It about stopped there. Then it seemed like a drought for games while Sony tried to stop desperately through firmware updates all the other homebrew stuff.

One thing stood out though, when PSP debuted the review consensus was "PSP is better than DS". DS had its own little library of great stuff by then, and ever growing. What the reviewers said this for was because the PSP was CAPABLE of really great games and it was just expected I guess. When that didn't happen that's when the PSP lost its steam and began to falter. All the while the DS had kept selling hits.

Why is it that we have to wait almost a year and a half to see a strong library? Don't get me wrong, PSP on its own right is now a fun viable and rich entertainment platform...but Sony really shot itself in the foot early on.

They talked so much smack about how the PSP would rival PS2 gaming. When they said this, it usually coincided with comments on graphics...so out there we're thinking "Hey, PSP=PS2 graphics, w00tz3rz0rz11!!!".

That didn't happen at first, not by a longshot. If anything it was between Dreamcast and PS2 at best. However, now we're really there. Syphon Filter exceeds the visuals of quite a few games, and Tekken Dark Resurrection exceeds MOST PS2 games in the graphics area. Daxter is also parity with PS2 visuals.

Sigh, what a shame it took so long.

|MaguS|
08-28-06, 08:20 PM
They talked so much smack about how the PSP would rival PS2 gaming. When they said this, it usually coincided with comments on graphics...so out there we're thinking "Hey, PSP=PS2 graphics, w00tz3rz0rz11!!!".

That didn't happen at first, not by a longshot. If anything it was between Dreamcast and PS2 at best. However, now we're really there. Syphon Filter exceeds the visuals of quite a few games, and Tekken Dark Resurrection exceeds MOST PS2 games in the graphics area. Daxter is also parity with PS2 visuals.

Sigh, what a shame it took so long.

That can be really said about most consoles, at launch they have some decent looking titles but usually a year later titles come out that just blow by the previous things... look at the PS2, Compare Tekken Tag with Tekken 5... Its not even in the same league...

But the PSP did have some great looking titles at launch that even hold up now, like Wipeout and Ridge Racer.

Peoples-Agent
08-28-06, 11:36 PM
That can be really said about most consoles, at launch they have some decent looking titles but usually a year later titles come out that just blow by the previous things... look at the PS2, Compare Tekken Tag with Tekken 5... Its not even in the same league...

But the PSP did have some great looking titles at launch that even hold up now, like Wipeout and Ridge Racer.

Gears of War for the 360 and possibly Halo 3 look pretty sleek to me after a year away.

Think it has more to do with developers than anything else tbh.

Maybe it's just marketing, saving the goodness for further down the line.
Who knows.

Mr_LoL
08-29-06, 12:54 AM
Isnt the Ds owning the psp in sales? Sony need to reduce the price of that handheld.

Toss3
08-29-06, 04:42 AM
Isnt the Ds owning the psp in sales? Sony need to reduce the price of that handheld.
Yep, but I don't think it's the price that matters, it's probably the vast game library that gives the DS it's strength. I really haven't seen any FF-great-type of game for the psp yet. But I read somewhere that they were gonna make it possible to download old psOne and ps2 titles for the psp? That would be so great, if it turned out to be true! ;)

Namrok
08-29-06, 05:51 AM
Yep, but I don't think it's the price that matters, it's probably the vast game library that gives the DS it's strength. I really haven't seen any FF-great-type of game for the psp yet. But I read somewhere that they were gonna make it possible to download old psOne and ps2 titles for the psp? That would be so great, if it turned out to be true! ;)

As I understand it, they were contemplating a similar music service, but they can't figure out how to get the DRM working. Cause you know, it's Sony, and they're all gonna die if one of their products doesn't have DRM. I doubt any game download service will ever launch until they get this same problem worked out.

Tekken sounds great though. I never liked fighting games just because they seemed so...like you had to already know how to play them. And SC3 frustrated the hell out of me because the AI was basically perfect, unless it decided to let you win. That, and where you saw the moves hit, and where they were actually considered to have hit made no sense to me. I'd block high because a kick was aimed at my midsection, but wait, it was actually a low kick. Meanwhile, I'm trying to hit someone who only ever blocks high and I'll be kicking their feet to death, but it counts as mid? I guess these are all things fighter fans just accept as things you have to learn about the game, but they bugged the hell outta me.

ENU291
08-29-06, 07:04 AM
After readling the title I was expecting some info on World of Warcraft...:retard: :D

oldsk00l
09-01-06, 08:27 PM
This game all by itself has got me playing my PSP more than I play my 360 right now.

It's that good. I bet there's around 200 hours of playtime with this before I get tired of it.

|MaguS|
09-01-06, 08:30 PM
Wish it had real internet play so I could own you. ;)

oldsk00l
09-01-06, 08:37 PM
Wish it had real internet play so I could own you. ;)

HAHAHAHA@!!! Not with Jinrei, I pull out his 10 hit combo like nothing :D

Yeah...I really wish it did too. I have done some ad-hoc with a couple people, great fun in that too.

You get far in the dojo mode?

|MaguS|
09-01-06, 08:41 PM
Beat Heaven Dojo. ;)

oldsk00l
09-01-06, 08:44 PM
Beat Heaven Dojo. ;)

k, yeah, you're pretty pwnzer then :D

I'm still on void dojo.

|MaguS|
09-01-06, 08:45 PM
I played Tekken 5 so much that I broke 2 controllers thanks to it...

oldsk00l
09-01-06, 10:45 PM
I played Tekken 5 so much that I broke 2 controllers thanks to it...

LOL Just be nice to that PSP, no anger throwing :D

|MaguS|
09-01-06, 10:53 PM
Almost did acouple times, ****ed my hand back and realised what I was about to do...

Console controllers are easier to break because Im usually sitting down and leaning foward.... with my PSP im usually leaning back with my feet up.