PDA

View Full Version : New Rig for a friend small problem Please Help

CDE_1246
08-28-06, 10:54 PM
I recently built my freind a new computer and everything worked fine, turned on first try. BIOS detected everything but for some reason when i start to install windows it says there are no hard disk drives connected to your PC and exits. I know its connected properly to the motherboard and its getting power from the SATA power connect and im not using the four-pin molex. Its a Western Digital 160GB hard drive. Im not doing a raid array or anything. Thanks for reply:)

gram_vaz
08-28-06, 11:25 PM
You have to install sata drivers. Look out for the 'press f6 to install sata drivers' or something like that prompt. The floppy sata driver should've come with the motherboard.

CDE_1246
08-28-06, 11:49 PM
Thanks for the reply the motherboard didnt come with a floppy disk it came with a CD but i brought his computer to my house and didnt bring the cd. I guess i can just download that off the western digital website right?

gram_vaz
08-28-06, 11:50 PM
It's not the hd that needs a driver it's the sata chip on the motherboard. So look at the motherboard website.

Also be sure the mobo bios is set to boot to sata.

CDE_1246
08-29-06, 12:04 AM
Alright thanks man The epox website dosent have the drivers that i need for the motherboard. now what? thanks

gram_vaz
08-29-06, 12:12 AM
*shrugs* Install to an IDE drive if you've got one.

nV`andrew
08-29-06, 12:59 AM
hmm well when i built this comptuer i went out and bought a floppy drive cuz i needed one to install drivers. well, this comp was basically plug and play. it asked me if i wanted to install the sata drives from a floppy disk, i hit yes, but nothing worked. later, evga's mtoherboard drivers asked something similar, but for raid, but i hit no. so i dont really got any drivers i installed and mine works great heh. though im assumnig the main mobo drivers mustve had sumthing in there

no drivers for the mobo doesnt sound good =/
well if if the drives have jumpers on them, make sure their set properly. make sure there are no missing pins and make sure its the primary drive and not slave to the cd rom

thats all i can say, though i doubt it would help

hope u can figure it out

CDE_1246
08-29-06, 01:16 AM
When i got the hard drive there werent even any pins on the hard drive just nothing. I didnt even know SATA used pins this is my first time using SATA. I have an extra jumper like the ones used for CMOS is that the right kind? Thanks.

crainger
08-29-06, 01:18 AM
When i got the hard drive there werent even any pins on the hard drive just nothing. I didnt even know SATA used pins this is my first time using SATA. I have an extra jumper like the ones used for CMOS is that the right kind? Thanks.

Yeah SATA will have a jumper to force SATA150 over the newer SATA300. Some older motherboards will only detect as SATA300 drive when its set to SATA150. Doesn't sound like your problem though

CDE_1246
08-29-06, 01:22 AM
Thanks this seems like a newer motherboard. Hmmmm im really confused Does anyone think i can use the CD that came with the motherboard when its booting?

Subtestube
08-29-06, 02:03 AM
CDE - I believe you can get the SATA drivers off the motherboard CD, you just need to copy the right files. They will, however, need to be on a floppy disc for installation.

CDE_1246
08-29-06, 02:56 AM
Thanks ill try all of that stuff if worse comes to worse ill just call customer support thanks.

CDE_1246
08-29-06, 02:00 PM
When i go into the BIOS it displays the Hard Drive under boot disk priority and the hard drive is set to the first priority. But it says SCSI 0 does that mean somthings not configured properly? Thanks for reply.

CDE_1246
08-29-06, 04:19 PM
Anyone? Please Help

nV`andrew
08-29-06, 08:30 PM
When i go into the BIOS it displays the Hard Drive under boot disk priority and the hard drive is set to the first priority. But it says SCSI 0 does that mean somthings not configured properly? Thanks for reply.

i believe mine says the same thing, but someone else here can confirm that :) man, hope you can get this settled out

grey_1
08-29-06, 09:29 PM
Anyone? Please Help
My bios has an option to enable or disable sata, plus it has to have the right channels enabled. I'm not familiar with your bios, but look for the enable sata, if you can't find that try plugging your sata cable into each of the ports on the mobo between boot attempts. Win may just be looking for a different port than what your on.

saturnotaku
08-30-06, 07:08 AM
A lot of BIOSes have the option of forcing detection of an SATA device as standard IDE. If you're not doing a RAID setup, this option will work as Windows will be able to run the device with its standard IDE drivers.

atopork
08-31-06, 06:56 PM
Right what you do is put the motherboard disc in set your bios to boot from cd then it will ask if u want make a disc i think it says press A put a floppy disc in make the disc then try and install windows pressing f6 when it say install third party drivers from the floppy once installed windows will detect your sata drive

Hope you understand the way ive typed it:D