PDA

View Full Version : NV silencer 5 on 7900gt

hypertek
08-29-06, 01:27 AM
Anyone here got one? Just wondering a little about it. I got a evga 7900gt ko i picked up on ebay on its way and i read the nv silencer 5 will fit wiht trimming of the shroud. Just wondering how the memory works wiht the thermal pads, if people have kept them on when they put this cooler on it or remove em.

I plan on doing the 1.5 volt mod to it to try to reach 700 on the core. Any idea how this cooler fares up to teh zalman vf900 or whatever?

ATOJAR
08-29-06, 01:37 AM
I got a NV silencer 5 (rev 3) on my 7800GTX there one of the best there is in my opinion, i have arctic silver 5 thermal compound on also, it sits around 37c-40c idle and i have never seen the temps rise above 55c under load!(playing bf2 for afew hours), not sure how they compare to the Zalman VF900, ive never had one.

AdmiralHalsey..
08-29-06, 05:33 AM
I have one on my 7900gt. Works great, better than the zalman v700, I have both and have tested both. I cut about an inch off the duct, I used a band saw to get a nice clean cut, the deburred it with a file. Pretty easy, though the copper base's memory pads don't quite line up. Some chips only get 50% coverage, but hey, the air is probobly better than being smothered by thermal tape. If you do volt mod, I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH that you must put ram or heatsinks on some of the chips on the back of the board, several threads have clear pictures of which chips to cover. Read my sig, I learned the hard way. going to bed now, goodnight and goodluck.

john19055
08-29-06, 05:55 AM
The Zalman VF 900-Cu fits it perfect and no need for modding the cooler and it works great on the 7900Gt's ,Very easy to install ,It fits very tight against the GPU and it it silent and keeps the card real cool even with heavy load.Mine idiles at 38c to 39c and with load it runs at 52c to 54c,the NV silencer5 will work ,you will just have to mod it to fit which is'nt much of a deal just have to saw about half to a inch of the plastic off so it does't touch the caps,if you want the easiest one to install with the least trouble then go with the Zalman VF 900-Cu IMO,but if you can get a good deal on a NV silencer then they are not to much trouble to install

hypertek
08-30-06, 02:39 AM
my nv5 rev 3 came in today.. I had the first nv5 on my 6800gt and had no probs with it.. I guess they made changes to the cooler to use thermal pads on the memory becuase people had problems with them not touching the memory..

I wonder if the older cooler would have worked on the 7900gt... i dont have faith in the thermal pads but i guess it should do the job just find since memory doesnt get super hot...

Im waiting for my 7900gt to come in, scored it on ebay for $168..
my new mobo, cpu are waiting... psu is on the way. Ran out of money for memory and hard drive, so might be a few weeks.. cant wait!! im without my 6800gt since i sold it, so no games.. i cant take it!!!

snowmanwithahat
08-30-06, 11:35 AM
my nv5 rev 3 came in today.. I had the first nv5 on my 6800gt and had no probs with it.. I guess they made changes to the cooler to use thermal pads on the memory becuase people had problems with them not touching the memory..

I wonder if the older cooler would have worked on the 7900gt... i dont have faith in the thermal pads but i guess it should do the job just find since memory doesnt get super hot...

Im waiting for my 7900gt to come in, scored it on ebay for $168..
my new mobo, cpu are waiting... psu is on the way. Ran out of money for memory and hard drive, so might be a few weeks.. cant wait!! im without my 6800gt since i sold it, so no games.. i cant take it!!!

why don't you think the thermal pads will work? that is their job, to transfer heat, i know it looks like it would be a good insulator, but believe me, they're not designed that way. i'm sure they were put there for a reason

hypertek
08-31-06, 01:06 AM
hey i put it on.. my 7900gt came in today.. hehe
i trimmed the shrouding at needed areas and mounted it..

did you put that rear passive memory sink? just wondering how people have put it on..

psuvette
08-31-06, 06:31 PM
i STRONGLY recommend the zalman VF900 cooler over any arctic cooling cooler for series 7 nvidia cards.

1. i just installed a vf900 on my 7900GT, and here are the results:

stock: 48C idle, 73C load
vf900: 37C idle, 53C load

i previously had a 6800GT with an NV5 cooler (by the way, it broke, twice, and good luck getting it frickin RMA'd), and never achieved these results.

2. nv5 and vf900 are equally quiet

3. nv5 must be hacked to work on a 7900GT

4. the design of the nv5 is odd..think about it. the really hot core is attached to a copper plate. because it is copper, and copper has very good thermal conductivity, it is likely to be a mostly even temperature along the plate. the plate then transfers that heat to the memory. the memory on the series 7 cards gets NO WHERE NEAR the temperature of the core.

anyway, that's just my advice :) and i've had both the nv5 and vf900. forget arctic cooling, i'm going with zalman all the way.