PDA

View Full Version : Beyond Good and Evil performance problems

CaptNKILL
08-29-06, 01:45 AM
Does anyone have this game?

I just got the demo because I've been wanting to give it a try, and it seems like an excellent game, but in any levels with reflective water it runs horribly slow.

I did some searching online and some people said that it worked fine on their 9800 cards but the 6 and 7 series geforce cards seem to have terrible performance in certain parts of the game.

I really want to get this game, but if all of the hover craft levels are going to run this bad, it might be too painful to get stuck on these levels.

Do you think there are any programs that could maybe run a 7950 in a sort of "compatibility" mode so its more like a 9800 for this game?

Becoming
08-29-06, 01:52 AM
I have issues with water performance also, so I had to dial down a setting (water detail I believe). It really is horrid, but don't let that put you off an awesome game like this. It really is a strange and wonderful hybrid of many types of game done very well. It's well worth the purchase in spite of the crappy water problem.

CaptNKILL
08-29-06, 01:59 AM
I have issues with water performance also, so I had to dial down a setting (water detail I believe). It really is horrid, but don't let that put you off an awesome game like this. It really is a strange and wonderful hybrid of many types of game done very well. It's well worth the purchase in spite of the crappy water problem.
Ah, yeah, I see they added an option for that in the patch. :)

It isnt in the demo.

I'll keep playing with 3d Analyze to see if I can figure something out, but its not looking like theres any other way to get around this.

Becoming
08-29-06, 02:03 AM
Actually now that I take a peek at my settings, it seems to be the AA that was doing the most damage on the watery areas. I had to put that down to make it even playable (which is odd and obviously some weird bug), but otherwise everything else is fine set higher.

CaptNKILL
08-29-06, 02:08 AM
Actually now that I take a peek at my settings, it seems to be the AA that was doing the most damage on the watery areas. I had to put that down to make it even playable (which is odd and obviously some weird bug), but otherwise everything else is fine set higher.
Yeah I remember reading that using any AA or AF screws up the game, and that the water levels run like crap on 6 and 7 series cards.

Its a damn shame the game wasnt more popular or itd probably have gotten the proper support to run on newer hardware. :(

Gaco
08-29-06, 03:47 AM
I hear ya. I bought BG&E about 5 months ago, but I never really got to play it because I had horrible performence doing the water levels and I on online forums that GF6 and GF7 had special problems with this game - shame on nVidia/Ubisoft for not working this out :thumbdwn:

However I do remember experimenting with different drivers, and the game ran pretty fluently with one of them, but most my other games was worse, so I never adopted that solution ;)

CaptNKILL
08-29-06, 09:13 AM
Yeah I think people said the 66.93 driver is fine with this game and the 6 series cards, but thats way too old for my card. I doubt itd work.

Nitz Walsh
08-29-06, 11:57 AM
Yeah I think people said the 66.93 driver is fine with this game and the 6 series cards, but thats way too old for my card. I doubt itd work.
Yep, after the 66.93 driver BG&E performance tanked, and Nvidia never got around to fixing it. Sucks.

stncttr908
08-29-06, 12:25 PM
Do you have an Xbox? You can probably find this game for < $10.

Becoming
08-29-06, 12:38 PM
Also on GC and PS2 (the GC one being the hardest to find at a decent price between the 3 console versions I believe).

CaptNKILL
08-29-06, 02:21 PM
Only console I own is the original Playstation, and its packed away in a box. :o

Well... and an Atari 2600, but we're in the process of putting a PC inside of that, so... :p

|MaguS|
08-29-06, 02:35 PM
Make sure you disable any form of AA since the game doesn't support it at high resolutions, this is a game engine limit, no way to get around it.