PDA

View Full Version : does KVM lower image quality for monitor?

avesta
08-29-06, 10:17 AM
Does a monitor with a direction connection get better image quality than one on a KVM? If so, is it only the image quality that is affected or is there something else too? like refresh rates or something...?

Btw, the one I'm using is a Belkin.

OWA
08-29-06, 11:23 AM
Some I've used affected refresh rates b/c I guess the system couldn't correctly identify the monitor through the switch (or maybe it used a generic emulation or something). Some switches also have limits on the resolutions/refresh rates they support. I also think the image quality isn't quite as good going through a switch. Usually a little blurrier. So, with the one I use at home, I only use it for the keyboard and mouse. I directly connect one computer to my LCD using DVI and I connect the other with analog VGA. When I was still using a CRT, I connected one computer using the analog VGA connector and the other using the BNC connectors. So, my switching is always a 2-step process. Switching the KVM and then switching the input on the monitor.

BashfulTux
08-29-06, 01:14 PM
Does a monitor with a direction connection get better image quality than one on a KVM? If so, is it only the image quality that is affected or is there something else too? like refresh rates or something...?

Btw, the one I'm using is a Belkin.

I have an Omni Cube and the image quality seems the same rather I use it with a monitor directly connected to a video card or through the switch, the refresh rates/resolutions I can use are the same in both instances.

stncttr908
08-29-06, 02:02 PM
When I used my CRT I didn't really notice a difference. Heck, I don't see the difference on two family PCs that are currently hooked up to it.

Bman212121
08-30-06, 01:07 PM
Belkin, maybe... Others not really noticable. (I don't like Belkin stuff BTW.) I use a KVM on almost every computer that I use, and I can't tell the difference. I have 2 IO gears, one is a 4 Port w/PS2, one is a newer 2 port USB, and I have an Avocent 4 port DVI on my work computer. All of them allow the computer to correctly identify the monitor, so it's not being emulated. Maybe at a high res I could see it not being as good, but your not really adding a lot of extra stuff in between, so I can't really notice. The IO gears are rated for 2048 x 1536 I believe, and the DVI one is 1600 x 1200 so there isn't a problem with low resolutions.

But I will say we have a Belkin Omni 4 port for the other person that I work with, and I don't notice any loss in quality on that. (Also have a 2 port linksys for our workbench, told you I use a lot of em. :))

EDIT: Oh yea, that's a mix of 17" CRT's (Mag and Viewsonic) and LCD's (All Dells)