PDA

View Full Version : Possible BF2 connection problem fix

CaptNKILL
08-29-06, 11:23 PM
Well, I had the cable guy up here this morning replacing some old cable lines that were likely giving us some internet problems. I thought for sure that they were causing the massive connection problems I was having with Battlefield 2 and 2142.

After he replaced them and put in new splitters it seemed a little bit better but I still had a ton of connection problems and then got disconnected while trying to play the PoE mod for BF2.

So today I was determined to work out the problems with this damn game.

It didnt take long actually. :p

I looked around and someone claimed that manually updating their Punkbuster fixed their connection problems. It sounded "iffy" to me, but I tried it anyway.

Since then, I havent had a single "there is a problem with your connection" message after playing PoE for **4 hours**. Its probably a combination of the new cable lines and the punkbuster update, but obviously, the update made a HUGE difference.

PoE is an excellent mod (thanks stncttr for making that thread about it:)) so even if you dont like Battlefield 2, if you own it, you owe it to yourself to manually update PB using the PBsetup program linked on this page:
http://www.punkbuster.com/index.php?page=dl-bf2.php
And then go get PoE mod.

I've been totaly stuck to my computer for hours. I hadnt been able to do that with BF2 in quite a while because of the connection problems (not to mention plain BF2 can be rather irritating).

If it works for you, post here :)

I havent tried it for the 2142 beta yet, but that had the same problems. I tried playing it a few minutes ago and it was laggy as hell. I didnt get any connection problem messages, but it was pretty much unplayably laggy. I'll see if PBsetup recognizes BF2142 beta as well.

EDIT: It doesnt look like PBsetup works with the 2142 beta yet, so we're kind of stuck with all the crap in that game right now. Oh well... PoE is reminding me of good ol' Desert Combat mod for BF1942. I dont need any other Battlefield games right now. :D

Becoming
08-30-06, 01:52 AM
I manually updated PB when I played BF2 and it never helped (YMMV).

K007
08-30-06, 02:14 AM
Never helped me Manual update and pb_sleep 500 nothing.

CaptNKILL
08-30-06, 02:28 AM
Well damn.

I hadnt had a smooth game of BF2 in months before I did this.

Anyone who is having problems should still give it a shot though.

Viper_0000
08-30-06, 02:46 AM
The best fix is this when you get the famous connection error:
- When you get the error, pause to main menu.
- Go to server list.
- Select a server, don't join it though.
- Exit menu back to game.
- Tada :wonder:

CaptNKILL
08-30-06, 02:49 AM
The best fix is this when you get the famous connection error:
- When you get the error, pause to main menu.
- Go to server list.
- Select a server, don't join it though.
- Exit menu back to game.
- Tada :wonder:
I think that only works if its going to continue working anyway. IE, one of the 2 second pauses.

If the connection is lost for like 10 seconds, you get disconnected. It takes longer than that for me to get to the menu and back to the game. :o

BTW, does anyone know if theres some trick to getting the game to log on faster? Its so anoying having to wait all that time just to log into the game.

Becoming
08-30-06, 03:23 AM
My trick was to uninstall it. Problem solved.

CaptNKILL
08-30-06, 03:31 AM
You should give PoE a try. Its like a whole new game. :)

Reminds me a lot of Desert Combat, just much more polished.

BioHazZarD
08-30-06, 03:34 AM
uninstall game - problem solved.

CaptNKILL
08-30-06, 03:37 AM

So much for making a constructive thread out of this. :lol:

ArrowMk84
08-30-06, 05:41 AM
Well here's something constructive. You know how long it takes to login with an old profile? Well, I did a complete uninstall/reinstall over the weekend, and nuke my profile in the process. I did a retrieve account when I logged back in, and it took only a couple seconds to get to the main menu. I've fired up the game several times now, and it takes only seconds to log in.

Now, I believe the guilty part is the Dmp folder in My Documents\Battlefield2, since it had a ton of files in it before and now only has two (a log file and what appears to be a binary file of patch information). Also, cleaning out the My Documents\Battlefield2\mods folder (which stores your shaders) may have helped.

I'd like to know if this helps anyone else, because it did wonders for my BF2 experience.

Edit: BTW, I used the full up 1.0 to 1.3 patch, not the incremential patches, when I did my reinstall.

XxDeadlyxX
08-30-06, 06:10 AM
Arg where is patch 1.4?? This is a 1.3 patch problem... not much a lot of us can do atm :thumbdwn:

rudedog
08-30-06, 06:36 AM
1.4 patch is delayed. They say it's at the final approval stage before being packaged up and released to the general public

nekrosoft13
08-30-06, 06:48 AM

why do you even post here? seriously every single post from you its either,

it sucks, i don't like it, this is bad etc...

its always negative,

de><ta
08-30-06, 08:12 AM
Never helped me Manual update and pb_sleep 500 nothing.

Actually pb_sleep 500 made the connection problems even worse for me, since whenever pb used to update my connection would go ape, usually when I am flying a jet...

I changed it to to pb_sleep 200 and I stopped getting those connection issues due to pb updating.

CaptNKILL
08-30-06, 01:33 PM
Well here's something constructive. You know how long it takes to login with an old profile? Well, I did a complete uninstall/reinstall over the weekend, and nuke my profile in the process. I did a retrieve account when I logged back in, and it took only a couple seconds to get to the main menu. I've fired up the game several times now, and it takes only seconds to log in.

Now, I believe the guilty part is the Dmp folder in My Documents\Battlefield2, since it had a ton of files in it before and now only has two (a log file and what appears to be a binary file of patch information). Also, cleaning out the My Documents\Battlefield2\mods folder (which stores your shaders) may have helped.

I'd like to know if this helps anyone else, because it did wonders for my BF2 experience.

Edit: BTW, I used the full up 1.0 to 1.3 patch, not the incremential patches, when I did my reinstall.
Hmm, cleaning out the temps didnt seem to have any effect for me. I'll try a reinstall though.

Thanks for the tips :)

BTW, when you do a "retrieve account", does it bring back your old graphics\control settings? Or did you have to redo those?

stncttr908
08-30-06, 02:12 PM
Your system settings are stored locally.

CaptNKILL
08-30-06, 02:14 PM
Your system settings are stored locally.
I guess I'll just redo them then.

With problems like this, I dont want to take any chances copying old profile settings over to a new installation.

Greg
08-31-06, 08:34 AM
The connection problem is not isolated to a single client. From my experience over 80% of those connection problems result in other clients or the whole server going down. This is evidenced by 1) joining the same server to find it empty and slowly re-filling with players 2) hearing the last words over voice comms of fellow players complaining of their connection status. Whatever magic your cable guy did won't save us all. Patch 1.4 better be good as it is the last patch EA has budgeted for.

CaptNKILL
08-31-06, 11:20 AM
The connection problem is not isolated to a single client. From my experience over 80% of those connection problems result in other clients or the whole server going down. This is evidenced by 1) joining the same server to find it empty and slowly re-filling with players 2) hearing the last words over voice comms of fellow players complaining of their connection status. Whatever magic your cable guy did won't save us all. Patch 1.4 better be good as it is the last patch EA has budgeted for.
I'm sure you're right about part of it, but most of the time when I have connection problems, the other players dont have any issues (I always ask). To me, that means theres something going on on my end, not the server.

CaptNKILL
08-31-06, 02:35 PM
I found a solution to the slow logon problem :)

http://www.bf2combat.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22263

The login server delays are caused by server timeouts in your favourites list - for every red favourite you have in there, another approx 5 secs will be added to your login time. Stupid I know, but that is the way it's worked since the 1.3 release.

So, either log and and delete those red favourites, or do the manual route below:

1. Navigate to your My Documents folder and then Battlefield 2\Profiles\0001 inside that.
(Normally 0001, which I believe is the one at the top of the login list - YMMV)
2. Open General.con in notepad (NOT msword, wordpad or some other similar toy)
3. Delete all lines that begin GeneralSettings.addServerHistory and GeneralSettings.addFavouriteServer (you could be selective and keep ones that you know are still pingable).
4. Save, and try again.

You may also need to use this manual method to delete Undefined favourites and other similar ones that have become corrupt.

Going to try it right now. Very stupid problem, but it deffinitely explains why mine takes so long.

ArrowMk84
08-31-06, 03:25 PM
Ok, that's just retarded. Logically, you would refresh the favorites server the same time you refresh the regular servers, but this is DICE we're talking back. And I did have a quite a large list in my favorites menu.

CaptNKILL
08-31-06, 05:27 PM
Ok, that's just retarded. Logically, you would refresh the favorites server the same time you refresh the regular servers, but this is DICE we're talking back. And I did have a quite a large list in my favorites menu.
Yep, completely retarded.

It worked perfectly though. Now it only takes 2 or 3 seconds to log in.

I'm glad someone took the time to post about that though, its an easy fix and it makes the game a lot more bearable.

I just played some more PoE today. Another full day with no connection problems :)

The server seemed to crash right when I joined, but after that I played for probably 2 hours without a single hint of lag or connection problems. I had some tough games (the other team was far better than mine... battles ended 180-0 4 times in a row) but it was pretty much a perfect bunch of games.

It cant be a coincidence that I couldnt even play the game before updating punkbuster, and now after updating, I have yet to having anything but a perfect game. :p

wnd
09-02-06, 08:38 AM
And I did have a quite a large list in my favorites menu.

Heh, at some point I could no longer add servers there -- or delete unresponding ones. The whole server browser is one big bug.

wnd
09-02-06, 07:53 PM
Since then, I havent had a single "there is a problem with your connection" message

Didn't help, but manually removing servers from one of the files was something I should've done ages ago. Thanks for reminding me about that.