PDA

View Full Version : Conroe mobo - only 1 IDE?!

MustangSVT
08-30-06, 12:09 PM
I was decided on buying the Gigabyte DS3 (P965 chipset) with a E6400 until I found out this board has only 1 IDE connector, and that this can connect up to 2 devices. I have 2 IDE hard drives, and 2 IDE optical drives (1 CD-RW, 1 DVD-RW). What the hell is going on here, who came up with using only 1 IDE. I may have to look at just getting a X2 3800+ instead now.. :thumbdwn:

edit: on further looking, the AM2 mobo, ASUS M2N-E also has only 1 IDE connector. WTH?

jAkUp
08-30-06, 12:12 PM
Use an IDE to SATA converter :)

superklye
08-30-06, 12:20 PM
Yeah, my MSI board also only has 1 IDE channel. It sucks. :( And what sucks more is that there is an FDD controller on the board. Who uses floppy anymore?

DarkJedi664
08-30-06, 12:24 PM
Who uses IDE anyways? Old, outdated technology. Hard drives shouldn't be using it at all. The only thing that would be using it would be an optical drive. All new mobos are going this way; IDE is on the way out. It's big and clunky and has thick crappy cables; plus SATA ports are a dime a dozen, so why worry?

ViN86
08-30-06, 12:33 PM
Use an IDE to SATA converter :)
omg i didnt even know they made those!

i want two of those. that will clear up so much clutter in my case :D

MustangSVT
08-30-06, 12:33 PM
FYI, I have 2 IDE optical drives (1 CD-RW and 1 DVD+-RW) and also 2 IDE HDDs (35GB and 80GB). They may be small, but I don't want to be "forced" to get rid of them.

Is there such a thing as IDE to SATA converter?

ViN86
08-30-06, 12:34 PM
FYI, I have 2 IDE optical drives (1 CD-RW and 1 DVD+-RW) and also 2 IDE HDDs (35GB and 80GB). They may be small, but I don't want to be "forced" to get rid of them.

Is there such a thing as IDE to SATA converter?
http://www.computervideogear.com/sata/serial-ata-ide-converter.htm

:D

superklye
08-30-06, 12:39 PM
Who uses IDE anyways? Old, outdated technology. Hard drives shouldn't be using it at all. The only thing that would be using it would be an optical drive. All new mobos are going this way; IDE is on the way out. It's big and clunky and has thick crappy cables; plus SATA ports are a dime a dozen, so why worry?
Because I don't want to go out and spend money on new SATA HDDs just because "IDE is on the way out." I'll replace my IDE HDDs when they die and only then.

Serial and parallel ports are dead and have been a HELL of a lot longer than IDE, and yet, motherboards continue to have them.

stncttr908
08-30-06, 12:40 PM
A PCI IDE card would be cheaper than two adapters.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=ENE&N=2010150410+119340940+1193512552&Subcategory=410&description=&srchInDesc=&minPrice=&maxPrice=

Although I know usable PCI slots are at a premium on most enthusiast boards, especially with twin dual slot cards in SLI.

koolhonda
08-30-06, 01:36 PM
Yet another reason it was alot cheaper for me to just go with an X2. Intel boards have been down to 1 IDE channel for awhile now.

DarkJedi664
08-30-06, 02:17 PM
nForce5 boards only have 1 IDE as well; it's just the trend now a days. I only have 1 IDE hard drive (thankfully), so I can share the 1 IDE channel if need be. That or replace the drive.

Rakeesh
08-30-06, 02:34 PM
I was decided on buying the Gigabyte DS3 (P965 chipset) with a E6400 until I found out this board has only 1 IDE connector, and that this can connect up to 2 devices. I have 2 IDE hard drives, and 2 IDE optical drives (1 CD-RW, 1 DVD-RW). What the hell is going on here, who came up with using only 1 IDE. I may have to look at just getting a X2 3800+ instead now.. :thumbdwn:

edit: on further looking, the AM2 mobo, ASUS M2N-E also has only 1 IDE connector. WTH?

Because IDE is ancient history. SATA has been replacing it for years.

superklye
08-30-06, 02:54 PM
Because IDE is ancient history. SATA has been replacing it for years.
Floppy is older and has been obsolete far longer, yet those are still included on new mobos.

I would think one can get FAR more use out of an additional IDE controller at the expense of the FDD controller.

MustangSVT
08-30-06, 03:27 PM
Yet another reason it was alot cheaper for me to just go with an X2. Intel boards have been down to 1 IDE channel for awhile now.

nforce5 boards have only 1 IDE as well. NF4 boards on S939 have 2, but I don't want a S939 rig.

shteve
08-31-06, 09:33 AM
The P5W DH has two IDE ports, just one natively provided by the Intel chipset and one by a Jmicron controller.

MustangSVT
08-31-06, 09:46 AM
And it's also $270cad vs. the Gigabyte DS3's $180cad. I'm not willing to pay over $180cad (~$160US) for a motherboard.

shteve
08-31-06, 09:49 AM
Then don't :thumbsup:

Bman212121
08-31-06, 09:59 AM
Floppy is older and has been obsolete far longer, yet those are still included on new mobos.

I would think one can get FAR more use out of an additional IDE controller at the expense of the FDD controller.

After Vista I won't need a floppy, but I'd rather have the connector than spend $30 on a usb floppy just to install RAID drivers.

shteve
08-31-06, 10:10 AM
After Vista I won't need a floppy, but I'd rather have the connector than spend $30 on a usb floppy just to install RAID drivers.

The irony being that a USB floppy is not much use for that either. Windows needs to load the drivers twice for some reason during install, and the second time it needs them the USB floppy drivers are no longer present :thumbdwn:

I still use an 80GB IDE drive for windows to avoid the S-ATA install problems (I know some/ most newer boards support S-ATA as IDE devices so Windows can see them anyway, but I don't like the nasty surprises that can happen. My four other drives are S-ATA.

nekrosoft13
08-31-06, 11:32 AM
OMFG, only 1 IDE, what where they thinking

OMG, next you gonna tell me they gonna start removing, parallel and serial ports, holly hell how can they remove them.

on serious note, good, remove all the old **** from boards, i don't need ide, i don't need serial etc..

today or tomorrow i will receive ide to sata converters, and bye bye ide, not a single ide cable in my case!!

benq and pioneer on sata