PDA

View Full Version : To Dominate or Not...That is the Question.

Pages : [1] 2

Tikiman44
08-30-06, 01:19 PM
http://www.corsair.com/corsair/images/DOMINATORside2.jpg

With Corsairs new memory coming out and know this sounds really ridiculous, but I am very interested in the new DominatorTWIN2X2048-8500C5D.

I still have not opened my 6400 EPP memory. What should I do stick with what I got or get the Dominator that comes out next week?:D

http://www.corsair.com/corsair/dominator.html

The new DHX XMS2 DOMINATOR Series and the DOMINATOR Airflow accessory will be available at retailers by the first week of September. Expected retail prices for these modules are from $600-$650 for the TWIN2X2048-8888C4DF and $380-$400 for the TWIN2X2048-8500C5D. The DOMINATOR Airflow is expected to retail for under $25.00.

Here is a link to the lovely thread jAkUp created:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75491

A PDF about the memory:
http://www.corsair.com/corsair/products/specs/TWIN2X2048-8500C5D.pdf

jAkUp
08-30-06, 02:29 PM
I vote to not Dominate. 2T timings blow. If you can get 1T timings out of this, than go for it :D

Tikiman44
08-30-06, 02:40 PM
I vote to not Dominate. 2T timings blow. If you can get 1T timings out of this, than go for it :D

But the heatspreader is so good looking jAkUp.:p

a12ctic
08-30-06, 02:41 PM
jackup, you know your gona buy it, look at how unnessissary that heatsink looks? imagine how awsome and pointles thatll be next to your physx card

Tikiman44
08-30-06, 02:57 PM
Wouldn't memory that runs @ 1066 be an improvemnt? Or what memory do you guys suggest?

jAkUp
08-30-06, 02:57 PM
jackup, you know your gona buy it, look at how unnessissary that heatsink looks? imagine how awsome and pointles thatll be next to your physx card

"pointles" and "unnessissary" like your post? Or better yet, using Linux for gaming?

CaptNKILL
08-30-06, 03:02 PM
Well there goes this thread. :lol:

lee63
08-30-06, 03:04 PM
$600-$650 = $800 at the egg :afraid: :afraid: :afraid: :afraid: :afraid:

Tikiman44
08-30-06, 03:08 PM
$600-$650 = $800 at the egg :afraid: :afraid: :afraid: :afraid: :afraid:

Do you have a link I can't find it.

jAkUp
08-30-06, 03:13 PM
Its not at the Egg yet, but thats the rumored cost.

a12ctic
08-30-06, 03:18 PM
"pointles" and "unnessissary" like your post? Or better yet, using Linux for gaming?
youve got a point there :o

CaptNKILL
08-30-06, 03:22 PM
If you spend that much on RAM, you are completely insane.

Thats all there is to it.

The price vs. performance increase on something like that is probably the worst of any component you can buy. Especially since it runs at 2T. You could have 500Ghz ram in your system and its not going to do anything except give you more overclocking headroom without having to run your memory at half your BUS speed.

Use a memory divider with some ram that costs a quarter of the price of that stuff and I'm sure you wont notice any difference at all.

Tikiman44
08-30-06, 03:24 PM
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=TWIN2X2048-8888C4DF&btnG=Search+Froogle

Tikiman44
08-30-06, 03:25 PM

The price vs. performance increase on something like that is probably the worst of any component you can buy. Especially since it runs at 2T. You could have 500Ghz ram in your system and its not going to do anything except give you more overclocking headroom without having to run your memory at half your BUS speed.

Use a memory divider with some ram that costs a quarter of the price of that stuff and I'm sure you wont notice any difference at all.

I was planning to just get the $350-$400 pair not the one that runs at 1111.;)

CaptNKILL
08-30-06, 03:29 PM
I was planning to just get the $350-$400 pair not the one that runs at 1111.;)
Still...

Why? :p

Are you hitting an overclocking wall because of your RAM?

jAkUp
08-30-06, 03:38 PM

If you make money, why not? I think Porshes and Lamborgini's are expensive, but to some people they are not.

Price vs. performance differs from person to person.

Tikiman44
08-30-06, 04:22 PM
Still...

Why? :p

Are you hitting an overclocking wall because of your RAM?

What I'm really wondering is if I should be getting 1066 memory instead since Conroe runs at 1066 FSB.

Tikiman44
08-30-06, 04:33 PM
Conroe has a 266 FSB...
The Quad pumped stuff is not important.

So whether its 800 speed memory or 1066 speed memory it will not make a difference?:o

Tikiman44
08-30-06, 04:45 PM
I wonder how far the memory I have can overclock. I suppose I will find out in a couple of hours.:D

Riptide
08-30-06, 06:01 PM
If you make money, why not? I think Porshes and Lamborgini's are expensive, but to some people they are not.lol dude. Weren't you driving a beater of an old civic not that long ago? ;) I think I know where practically all your money goes. :D

CaptNKILL
08-30-06, 06:36 PM
If you make money, why not? I think Porshes and Lamborgini's are expensive, but to some people they are not.

Price vs. performance differs from person to person.
Porsches and Lamborghinis have a lot of speed, luxury and the "prestige" of owning such a car.

$800 computer memory gets you nothing but a cool looking heatspreader (that most likely, only the person that builds it will ever see) and a bit higher score in the sandra memory benchmark.

I know, its up to him, but he asked if he should do it... I think it'd be a total waste, so I said no. :o

I think an x6800 or better CPU would give more benifit than this ram, but to be honest, I'd never get either unless I really had money to spare.

Tikiman, its up to you. If you're overclocking and your RAM is causing problems, by all means, get some better ram (thats what I did). But if you dont particularly need more overclocking headroom with your RAM (ie, dividers arent working or you simply MUST run things 1 to 1), this stuff isnt really going to do anything for you.

Heinz68
08-30-06, 06:59 PM
Porsches and Lamborghinis have a lot of speed, luxury and the "prestige" of owning such a car.

$800 computer memory gets you nothing but a cool looking heatspreader (that most likely, only the person that builds it will ever see) and a bit higher score in the sandra memory benchmark.
You forgot the main point, it also gives one awesome looking signature :)
Anyway if one has the spare cash, why not.

I wish many more people buy the flagship products and update fast,
so I can get later on a much cheaper used one :)

sabersix1
08-31-06, 01:16 AM
WELL IF I had a Car to Maintain and to buy Gas and Insurance for, not to mention a Lovely Lady like JakUp's "Girly", I probably would not be Buying all the TOP OF LINE PC PARTS. BUT this is MY HOBBIE, It like Chrismas every 3 to 6 months, and I just love doing it. I am going for the DOMINATOR TWIN2X2048-8888C4DF. So Call me a Fool for spending so much on RAM, But after all I am Building the "Conroe Monster", which I might dust give it a new name, and call it the "Conroe DOMINATOR". But I have to get the RAM FIRST! ;)

CaptNKILL
08-31-06, 01:19 AM
Just my opinion, but if you are really considering getting something like this, you should deffinitely wait for them (or a competitor) to release a similar model that can do 1T. Any performance or bandwidth increase that this stuff could offer would be greatly reduced by having to run at 2T.

ViN86
08-31-06, 09:22 AM
(whine)

i smell... jealousy.... its pungent.