PDA

View Full Version : PureVid Decoder Question.

jolancer
08-30-06, 05:31 PM
this may be a noob question, but im new to PureVid and wont to make shur ->

The Vid playback Features in the new Nvidia COntrol panel on the 91.31 driver settings(such as /noise reduction/image sharpening/inverstelenc) do these settings only work with the supported accelerater decoders in this list -> http://www.nvidia.com/page/purevideo_support.html

Or may those features also be utilized on Decoders not in the list, such as mp4 (aka Divx/Xvid/3ivx)?

right now i assume not, but like i said, i dont know.
i do have a PCI-E 6800GS.

EDIT: another though: or am i mixing up those setting with the Decoder aplication that they make you pay for or have the 30day trial?.. and those vid options i mention above are for everything? not just the Decoders listed with PureVid?..... im apparently confused, if someone could clearify that would be great.

rewt
08-30-06, 05:41 PM
The controls work for XViD. I just tested it.

They also work for adjusting quality of video from my TV card.

rewt
08-30-06, 05:45 PM
EDIT: another though: or am i mixing up those setting with the Decoder aplication that they make you pay for or have the 30day trial?.. and those vid options i mention above are for everything? not just the Decoders listed with PureVid?..... im apparently confused, if someone could clearify that would be great.

PureVideo decoder is an MPEG2 (DVD)-only decoder as far as I know. So the settings in the decoder itself only apply to MPEG2 material. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

PureVideo technology is different from PureVideo decoder. It is easy for people to get confused.

sharangad
08-31-06, 07:29 AM
PureVideo technology is different from PureVideo decoder. It is easy for people to get confused.

Actually I think they deliberately set out to confuse the two so they could sell you their own decoder, which most people find to be most excellent.

jolancer
08-31-06, 11:04 AM
thx for the clearifications.

and sharangad - i havnt used there decoder and probably never will, but yea sounds like its realy good for main streem - but useless for someone like me who only usess mpeg4 rips.

Mike89
09-02-06, 02:06 AM
I bought the PureVideo decoder and like it. DVD movies can be played with Windows Media Player 10 with it and looks very nice.

fivefeet8
09-04-06, 03:57 PM
Been using the Purevideo decoder and it's very nice. WMV hardware decode works incredibly well. The Step into Liquid video gets around 25% or less CPU usage. It used to hover in the 60%-50%(dual core). I can tell it works because when I use Power DVD to play the same video, CPU usage goes up, but when I use Medial Player, it drops dramatically.

sharangad
09-04-06, 04:16 PM
Been using the Purevideo decoder and it's very nice. WMV hardware decode works incredibly well. The Step into Liquid video gets around 25% or less CPU usage. It used to hover in the 60%-50%(dual core). I can tell it works because when I use Power DVD to play the same video, CPU usage goes up, but when I use Medial Player, it drops dramatically.

That's because media player supports WMV HD DXVA( DirectX Video Acceleration ). 'tis got nothing to do with the PureVideo decoder, which is just an MPEG-2/DVD decoder.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/dvd_decoder.html

"

NVIDIA PureVideo Decoder

The NVIDIA® PureVideo™ Decoder* is a plug-in for Microsoft® Windows® Media Player and Media Center Edition enabling smooth and vibrant videos.

* Enables DVD viewing with Microsoft® Windows Media® Player or Microsoft Windows® Media Center Edition
* High quality MPEG-2 decoder supports any third party software application based upon Microsoft DirectShow®
* Enables PureVideo technology on GeForce 6 and 7 series GPUs, for features such as spatial temporal de-interlacing, inverse telecine, and bad edit correction
* Dolby® Digital surround sound decoding
* Minimizes CPU utilization by offloading the MPEG-2 decoding onto the graphics processor
* Enables advanced de-interlacing
* Decodes high-definition MPEG-2 streams for ATSC tuners
* Supports Windows Mobile-based Portable Media Centers allowing end users to transcode MPEG-2 content into Windows Media Video 9
* S/PDIF pass through for external decoding of Dolby Digital and DTS (compatible hardware required)"

fivefeet8
09-04-06, 08:27 PM
That's because media player supports WMV HD DXVA( DirectX Video Acceleration ). 'tis got nothing to do with the PureVideo decoder, which is just an MPEG-2/DVD decoder.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/dvd_decoder.html

"

NVIDIA PureVideo Decoder

The NVIDIA® PureVideo™ Decoder* is a plug-in for Microsoft® Windows® Media Player and Media Center Edition enabling smooth and vibrant videos.

* Enables DVD viewing with Microsoft® Windows Media® Player or Microsoft Windows® Media Center Edition
* High quality MPEG-2 decoder supports any third party software application based upon Microsoft DirectShow®
* Enables PureVideo technology on GeForce 6 and 7 series GPUs, for features such as spatial temporal de-interlacing, inverse telecine, and bad edit correction
* Dolby® Digital surround sound decoding
* Minimizes CPU utilization by offloading the MPEG-2 decoding onto the graphics processor
* Enables advanced de-interlacing
* Decodes high-definition MPEG-2 streams for ATSC tuners
* Supports Windows Mobile-based Portable Media Centers allowing end users to transcode MPEG-2 content into Windows Media Video 9
* S/PDIF pass through for external decoding of Dolby Digital and DTS (compatible hardware required)"

Ah. So it must be using the purevideo technology on my video card? Hardware decode I guess.

HighTest
09-05-06, 07:58 PM
http://www.hardware.info/en-UK/articles/am9nY2pqZA/ATI_and_nVidia_crush_highend_DVD_players/17

Check out this article. As of their September 5th update, nVIDIA reigns supreme on video quality. This is also in comparison to twelve highend standalone DVD players one even over $2000.00.

w00t! (nana2)

j0j081
09-10-06, 08:22 AM
http://www.hardware.info/en-UK/articles/am9nY2pqZA/ATI_and_nVidia_crush_highend_DVD_players/17

Check out this article. As of their September 5th update, nVIDIA reigns supreme on video quality. This is also in comparison to twelve highend standalone DVD players one even over $2000.00.

w00t! (nana2)
great link. can't wait to try the way they have it setup. I read a long time ago deinter should be set to smart but guess not anymore.

Arch Stanton
09-11-06, 09:01 PM
My "Audio" and "Karaoke" tabs are suddenly missing. Any idea why this happened and how to get them back?