PDA

View Full Version : Half-Life 2: Episode Two - GC 2006 Trailer HD

Gaco
08-31-06, 03:28 AM
I could go on reviving that Half-Life 2: Episode 2 media thread all the time, but just in order to make sure no one misses the HD version of this trailer that surfaced as shaky-cam on among others YouTube, I'll just make this thread for the sole purpose of creating attention for this trailer. In any case it's worth to watch twice :D

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=12805&type=wmv&pl=game

jAkUp
08-31-06, 03:37 AM
Nice! Those physics are pretty amazing.

Looking at the bridge part, it appears that the metal is actually bending! Or am I just seeing things?

|MaguS|
08-31-06, 09:46 AM

Looking at the bridge part, it appears that the metal is actually bending! Or am I just seeing things?

Yeah it looks to be bending aswell, I love how the house blows apart!

Rieper
08-31-06, 02:24 PM
Uh, when is this game due out?! I already have Ep 1. Can't wait for this...

CaptNKILL
08-31-06, 02:26 PM
Trailer looks sweet. Cant wait to play this. :D

It'l be hard to live up to Episode 1, but I think they can pull it off.

jAkUp
08-31-06, 02:34 PM
Q1 07 is the release date

MaXThReAT
08-31-06, 02:47 PM

I would say yes it's texture deformation but it's all scripted, same with the house. I just doubt they would spend the time and effort to make those actual physics effects. The bridge and house will do the same thing every time and will not be like Crysis with such dynamic destructible environments.

CaptNKILL
08-31-06, 02:58 PM
I would say yes it's texture deformation but it's all scripted, same with the house. I just doubt they would spend the time and effort to make those actual physics effects. The bridge and house will do the same thing every time and will not be like Crysis with such dynamic destructible environments.
Texture deformation? :p

That isnt texture deformation (it has depth, textures are flat). The bridge is most likely a 3d model, animated to bend.

The house is probably programmed the same as the crates. When it's destroyed, it explodes into a hundred little pieces using the physics engine.

Lazaredz
08-31-06, 05:37 PM
Wow!! They REALLY improved the visuals.

IF it actually comes out looking like that, I'd buy it.

CaptNKILL
08-31-06, 07:05 PM
Theres an HD version of the 3 minute long TF2 teaser available. I havent watched it yet, but its here for anyone who's interested in seeing everything in high res :p

http://www.3dgamers.com/games/teamfortress2/downloads/

rflair
08-31-06, 09:17 PM
Theres an HD version of the 3 minute long TF2 teaser available. I havent watched it yet, but its here for anyone who's interested in seeing everything in high res :p

http://www.3dgamers.com/games/teamfortress2/downloads/

Very nice. Can't wait.

nVidi0t
08-31-06, 09:26 PM
I loved the end!

grey_1
08-31-06, 09:31 PM
Man I'm gonna enjoy this one..Strider vs. teh Dog!! :headbang:

CaptNKILL
08-31-06, 09:47 PM
Man I'm gonna enjoy this one..Strider vs. teh Dog!! :headbang:
I hope Dog grabs the strider by the leg and spins it around, bashing it through nearby objects. :D

superklye
08-31-06, 10:44 PM
Trailer looks sweet. Cant wait to play this. :D

It'l be hard to live up to Episode 1, but I think they can pull it off.
Seriously?

Episode 1 didn't really add anything except a new enemy. Otherwise, it was just more of the same. :o :-\

That's not necessarily bad, but I don't think Episode 2 is going to have much difficulty blowing Episode 1 out of the water.

jAkUp
08-31-06, 10:44 PM
I thought Episode 1 was even better than HL2 itself.

CaptNKILL
09-01-06, 12:37 AM
I thought Episode 1 was even better than HL2 itself.
I have to agree. HL2 was good but Episode 1 was a lot more interesting throughout. And the first few sections were amazing from a cinematic perspective. I've never seen "cinematics" anywhere near that quality in a game before (I guess thats what you'd call them, though they were real time, in engine, while you were playing).

Forgive me for foaming at the mouth over this game, but I think Episode 1 really broke some ground as far as making characters in a game look and feel lifelike. Deffinitely movie quality stuff. When the animation and characters directly make the game more enjoyable, thats damned impressive... not many games do that for me.

Maybe the raw game mechanics werent all that amazing, but I think Valve has been going for something different with Half-Life from the beginning. Maybe its more "movie-like", maybe its more "believible", I dont know. But it deffinitely works IMO. I enjoyed Episode 1 more than FEAR and Doom 3 combined.

nVidi0t
09-01-06, 12:54 AM
Episode 1 was higher quality than HAlf Life 2. You could tell they felt much more at home with the engine and the characters.

Gaco
09-01-06, 01:05 PM
Seriously?

Episode 1 didn't really add anything except a new enemy. Otherwise, it was just more of the same. :o :-\

That's not necessarily bad, but I don't think Episode 2 is going to have much difficulty blowing Episode 1 out of the water.

The map design was much better thought through in HL2:E1 than HL2 so I totally disagree there ;)

Arachnid
09-01-06, 02:42 PM
Checkout the 12 minute Gameplay Cam Footage - Links -

http://www.xboxyde.com/news_3392_en.html

http://www.xboxyde.com/leech_2962_en.html

I know this is the X360 footage but will do for now I guess.

Edge
09-02-06, 02:45 PM
Hmm, seems they've updated the engine quite a bit for Episode 2. The physics appear improved (depending on if the bridge metal bending was a canned animation or not), and they actually added real time projection lighting. Finally, some actual shadows, albiet only in scenes where they use those particular lights (including your flashlight it seems). Looks like an actual improvement to the series, unlike Episode 1 which was basically just a map pack.

Redeemed
09-02-06, 07:50 PM
Hmm, seems they've updated the engine quite a bit for Episode 2. The physics appear improved (depending on if the bridge metal bending was a canned animation or not), and they actually added real time projection lighting. Finally, some actual shadows, albiet only in scenes where they use those particular lights (including your flashlight it seems). Looks like an actual improvement to the series, unlike Episode 1 which was basically just a map pack.

Well, EP1 did offer some improvements to the image quality as well. Though, not extremely robust improvements- they were there atleast. EP1 definitely looked better than HL2.