PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic in-game advertising to come to Battlefield 2142

Pages : [1] 2

rudedog
08-31-06, 06:32 AM
Just recieved this Press Release from Dice:

Digital Illusions and EA will bring in-game advertising into Digital Illusions' next PC title Battlefield 2142

EA has signed an agreement with IGA to bring in-game dynamic advertising to selected titles in a move to provide cross platform in-game ad solutions for global advertisers. The initial title to incorporate dynamic advertising will be Battlefield 2142 when it launches in October.

Through the agreement, fans of the franchise will see new, realistic brand presence integrated into contextually relevant game environments. Digital Illusions is entitled to a share of all the revenues generated from the advertising featured in Battlefield 2142.

Now while I don't mind in game adverts (tastefully done if that can happen) I do mind paying full price for a game when it's supported by adverts and we know it's not a completely new engine.

Let's see how long it takes the community to block these adverts.

K007
08-31-06, 06:40 AM
i am not even gonna bother with 2142

Viventis
08-31-06, 07:25 AM
If we're talking about a smouldering billboard in the city where the battle is located, I can see it. But if we have to watch a commercial while the map is loading, you can leave me out.

Namrok
08-31-06, 07:30 AM

And people once doubted that EA ruins games. It at least makes sense in their sports games, even if its a little annoying. In a futuristic first person shooter?! You have got to be ****ing kidding me.

nutcrackr
08-31-06, 07:35 AM
Omg why do they have to do this. One of the few titles I was looking forward too, now when I hop in a mech and walk around in a futuristic city I'll see coke zero signs everywhere. Not only that but none of the profits made from them will be passed to the consumer. sigh

anticitizenzero
08-31-06, 08:20 AM
This game is doomed, I read in a blog of someone who played it said it feels like a skin package for BF2 with a new game mode.

K007
08-31-06, 08:21 AM
I am not gonna pay for a game that is a beta mod to a beta orginal (bf2) which has enuf problems as it is..and then have them even make more profit out of the game..maybe if they fix bf2 i dont mind..but this is just bloody stupid..

This **** better not come to Crysis or CnC3..two titles i am very excited about...CnC3 more -.-

nemecb
08-31-06, 09:30 AM
I dunno, I guess I wouldn't mind seeing real brands in games where they have a pop machine or whatever. I've always thought the knock off "Peppy Cola" machines in games hurt the realism a little (yes I made that name up, I have no idea whether it was ever used). But if they start throwing ads in for the sake of ads that would suck. This being EA, that's probably what they'll do. Video games will start to look like the interstate with billboard after billboard after billboard.

Becoming
08-31-06, 10:21 AM
I'll pass thanks. (http://digitalbattle.com/2006/08/29/bf2142-hacked-already/)

Blade
08-31-06, 10:33 AM
I'm in the 2142 Beta & believe me its nothing but a ****ty mod/skinpack, certainly WILL NOT be purchasing this but i bet plenty of spotty 12 year old will.

BioHazZarD
08-31-06, 10:35 AM
expected :D

rflair
08-31-06, 11:10 AM
The concept of in game advertising is wrong, I buy a game, I want the game not advertising.

Its like buying a TV show which has been released to DVD, could you imagine between each episode a commericail is forced on you to be watched.

If it translated into the game costing the consumer less because the advertising is boosting revenue then maybe I would tolerate it, I can't see this happening though.

a12ctic
08-31-06, 11:26 AM
quake wars is looking sooo good compared to this game...

stncttr908
08-31-06, 11:51 AM
I've said this before when SC:CT had this built in - if it's limited to a couple a Coke vending machines scattered here or there, I think it adds to the realism. But when I'm sneaking around an old, crumbling cargo ship in the middle of the ocean and I see promo posters for "The Island" on the walls, we have problems.

At least SC:CT was fun.

jAkUp
08-31-06, 12:15 PM
But I thought it's supposed to be the year 2142!

a12ctic
08-31-06, 12:16 PM
But I thought it's supposed to be the year 2142!
in 2142, there will be 140 year old advertisments everywhere duh!

de><ta
08-31-06, 12:16 PM
Let's see how long it takes the community to block these adverts.

Let's see if there is a community in the first place.

Becoming
08-31-06, 02:08 PM
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2002/09/18

CaptNKILL
08-31-06, 02:10 PM
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2002/09/18
AHH! It happened! :eek:

Becoming
08-31-06, 02:31 PM
The sweet, sweet taste of refreshing lemon in the future!...No thanks.

nekrosoft13
08-31-06, 02:33 PM
i wonder how long will it take till we see trailers, commercials in games

you lauch a game, and every single time you will have to watch some product commericals.

Becoming
08-31-06, 05:20 PM
i wonder how long will it take till we see trailers, commercials in games

you lauch a game, and every single time you will have to watch some product commericals.

If people are smart and don't support those games with their money, it'll be a short-lived occurance. I won't buy anything for above 20 dollars that makes me sit through ads or ruins gameplay by injecting them into terrible situations. I almost never go to the theatre anymore either since I don't feel like paying for the privelage of sitting through ten minutes of ads before a movie.

SH64
08-31-06, 07:40 PM
Great .. all we need is advertising & commercials in games :rolleyes:

i sometimes skip my fav show/movie on TV just because of these repeative commercials .. now its coming to games.
i guess we should expect a new kind of game fixes alongside the "no intro" fixes then..

Namrok
08-31-06, 08:09 PM
Great .. all we need is advertising & commercials in games :rolleyes:

i sometimes skip my fav show/movie on TV just because of these repeative commercials .. now its coming to games.
i guess we should expect a new kind of game fixes alongside the "no intro" fixes then..

It will probably be against the EULA to circumvent their adds. And if another DMCA peice of law gets rammed through, it could become illegal too. I remember hearing rumblings about certain networks wanting to sue various DVR companies for allowing their customers to skip commercials.

As is typical, it will just drive more people to piracy. And we were just getting past SF type protection schemes too.

nemecb
08-31-06, 08:12 PM
I almost never go to the theatre anymore either since I don't feel like paying for the privelage of sitting through ten minutes of ads before a movie.
Thus why I always show up ten minutes late to movies. I can't remember the last time I actually got to one at the "start" time.:)

If they severely cut the prices of games I might be able to stomach intrusive ads, but I'm talking bargain bin prices for new games, or maybe free.