PDA

View Full Version : just bought new laptop!! 7900gtx in it!

FearMeAll
08-31-06, 09:09 AM
Can't believe I did this but I just bought myself a new laptop. Been using the one currently for about 5 years...POS now. I went to powernotebooks.com and ordered this:
Sager NP5760 SUPRA
17" WSXGA+ "Super Clear Glossy" TFT Active Matrix screen
nVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GTX w/512MB GDDR3 memory
Intel® Core™ Duo T2500 2.0GHz Processor w/2,048k L2 On-die cache - 667MHz FSB
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
2,048MB (2 SODIMMS) DDR2/667 Dual Channel Memory
60GB SATA/150 Hard Drive at 7,200 RPM
Combo 8X DVD/24x10x24 CD-RW w/Softwares
Built-in Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945 802.11a/b/g
8-Cell Smart Li-ion Battery
Windows XP Home
Full Range Auto Switching AC Adapter
Standard Carrying Case
1-Year Parts & Labor, Lifetime 24/7 Toll Free Customer Service

It was about $2400 bucks but I want a decent laptop. A dell with similar specs would've been at least a couple grand more.
I know VISTA is coming out and core2duo laptops could be out soon but I am fine with 32bit as far as mobile goes for quite some time as long as it can be on the internet and move files around fast. My current laptop is terrible.
and I know directx10 is gonna be out but with laptops I'm fine with turning the settings down as long as the game plays ok. For my needs I think it will be great for the next 2 years. Hell I've been using this crapper laptop I'm typing on now for over 5. Can't even play rayman 2 on that thing. It would be nice to be out of town and be able to still play vampire bloodlines with everything cranked..may not use antialiasing at all with this though to make the 3dcard last longer. That is what my desktop is for.
I'll post pics when I get it next week.

ViN86
08-31-06, 09:24 AM
thats a nice laptop :thumbsup:

only thing missing is the 802.11n support. intel should get their act in gear and add support for it.

SH64
08-31-06, 09:34 AM
:thumbsup: .. i thought only Dell XPS laptops have 7900GTXs.

FearMeAll
08-31-06, 09:35 AM
oh man there is something besides wireless G now. I didn't know wireless N existed...
oh well my network is G anyway.

FearMeAll
08-31-06, 09:37 AM
:thumbsup: .. i though only Dell XPS laptops have 7900GTXs.
I think powernotebooks has the laptops before they are sold and rebranded as Dells and sold for thousands more. :D

nekrosoft13
08-31-06, 10:37 AM
oh man there is something besides wireless G now. I didn't know wireless N existed...
oh well my network is G anyway.

thats because n doesn't exist yet.

those draft n or pre-n product are not real n products.

they are nothign more then g or super g with MIMO antennas.

wifi board hasn't finalized specs for true n yet

saturnotaku
08-31-06, 10:41 AM
I think powernotebooks has the laptops

That's where I bought the system in my sig. I was contemplating getting the system you did, but a 17-inch model wouldn't be any good for use on an airplane or general portability.

That's fine, though, because I'm not doing much gaming on the PC anyway. The 7600 Go is more than enough for Half-Life 2. :)

a12ctic
08-31-06, 11:31 AM
why would you get a 17' laptop, how do you expect to carry that thing around? the battery life probobly isnt to impressive and i bet thats awful hot on your lap...

saturnotaku
08-31-06, 12:14 PM
why would you get a 17' laptop, how do you expect to carry that thing around? the battery life probobly isnt to impressive and i bet thats awful hot on your lap...

Well you sure have a lot of nerve, though I expect nothing less from a snot-nosed little punk like you. Cram it with walnuts.

superklye
08-31-06, 12:18 PM
Because a 17" laptop is awesome.

The only question I have is why would you buy a 17" laptop without WUXGA support? 1920x1200 is so delicious...

WSXGA is what...1680x1050? Still quite a nice resolution, but, for me at least, the more resolution, the better. :D Enjoy that new toy, it looks AWESOME.

a12ctic
08-31-06, 12:38 PM
the dude already has a killer desktop, why would he get a desktop replacement lappy is beyond me.

FearMeAll
08-31-06, 01:15 PM
nah it's just a quiet secondary rig to me. no cables, no mess, etc... and I don't go on planes I do commercial roofing and i may go to the closest state.I also always drive so I am never using it while on trips. It is for when I am at home or in a hotel room somewhere with a desk. A really small laptop would make me mad.

FearMeAll
08-31-06, 01:18 PM
Because a 17" laptop is awesome.

The only question I have is why would you buy a 17" laptop without WUXGA support? 1920x1200 is so delicious...

WSXGA is what...1680x1050? Still quite a nice resolution, but, for me at least, the more resolution, the better. :D Enjoy that new toy, it looks AWESOME.
yeah I thought about that.. but to be honest my desktop had a 21 widescreen gateway that did 1680 and I liked the rez. (I sold the gateway to a buddy and now my desktop rig is hooked to a high def projector on a 9 foot screen where it shall remain.) Chopped down to 17 inch those pixels will be plenty small enough. I don't like really really small fonts and yes 1920x1200 is awesome though but I would have had to get a Sli laptop for the performance I'd want from that.

FearMeAll
08-31-06, 01:22 PM
the dude already has a killer desktop, why would he get a desktop replacement lappy is beyond me.
it's a secondary rig and I have a great job. Pay my credit card down to $0 every month and have no debt to speak of and I like tech toys. (nana2)

saturnotaku
08-31-06, 03:09 PM
it's a secondary rig and I have a great job. Pay my credit card down to $0 every month and have no debt to speak of

Good on you, sir. I'm in the same boat as you, except my only debt is my mortgage and that's not a bad thing at all. No car payments, no student loans, nothing. And I love it. :D

Maybe arctic will learn these joys too, just have to wait for him to grow up first.

FearMeAll
08-31-06, 03:24 PM
Good on you, sir. I'm in the same boat as you, except my only debt is my mortgage and that's not a bad thing at all. No car payments, no student loans, nothing. And I love it. :D

Maybe arctic will learn these joys too, just have to wait for him to grow up first.
ah yes a mortgage..that's the only kinda debt I want. Still in an apartment but hopefully in a couple months I can get a house. Tired of throwing cash away on rent.
I gotta say it's nice to live below one's means and have fun than trying to finance a bunch of status symbols so other people will think you're rich. I drive a KIA that I've had since college and will drive it till it dies. My friends have a lot of nice stuff they have to keep up but they are broke...screw that. I buy only what I can pay for without financing.

FearMeAll
09-07-06, 12:19 PM
sweet they finally shipped out my laptop..gonna be here September 12, next Teusday! Can't wait to get my mitts on it.

Bearclaw
09-07-06, 02:05 PM
sweet they finally shipped out my laptop..gonna be here September 12, next Teusday! Can't wait to get my mitts on it.
Have fun with. Don't blow anything up.

FearMeAll
09-16-06, 07:58 AM
well got this Sager and it scored 4600 in 3dmark06. I am very impressed. I never messed with a laptop with a 3dcard before. It plays Tomb Raider Legend at 1680x1050 with 16x aniso and next gen on incredibly smooth. Half life 2 looks spectacular. I don't use antialiasing on this display because it is such a waste. The pixels are so small on the screen it is near impossible to see a jaggy. I'm used to very large displays and a small one with a high resolution gives me comparable performance/image quality ratio to my desktop. The image is amazingly sharp.
I've never owned an intel cpu but the 32-bit coreduo it has has impressed me quite a bit. As far as 32bit applications is is comparable to an athlon64 4400. I ran Sandra and wasn't expecting these numbers.
I also found out that it can upgrade to core2duo and that the 3dcard is upgradeable so after Vista is out for a while it is definately getting the upgrade to a mobile G80.
I love being able to take this kind of power with me over to a friends house with no sweat.

ViN86
09-16-06, 01:23 PM
thats because n doesn't exist yet.

those draft n or pre-n product are not real n products.

they are nothign more then g or super g with MIMO antennas.

wifi board hasn't finalized specs for true n yet
phew. glad i didnt buy a new router/card. ive seen some performance specs and it seems the bandwidth drops off quite sharply as distance increases (compared to 802.11g)

wow, what a hater. :|

nV`andrew
09-16-06, 01:44 PM
make sure you get a cooling mat, gonna burn ur lap off or the desk. would protect ur lappy too. they even have ones at office depot for like $30 with 2 120mm fans in em

GlowStick
09-16-06, 03:08 PM
make sure you get a cooling mat, gonna burn ur lap off or the desk. would protect ur lappy too. they even have ones at office depot for like $30 with 2 120mm fans in em
Hm, i disagree my lenovo gets warm at best. New laptops dont get to hot anymore i feel. centrino ftw!

FearMeAll
09-16-06, 03:29 PM
sweet just overclocked the gpu grom 500mhz to 550 and the ram from 600mhz to 700. Tomb Raider Legend and Oblivion never gave an artifact after an hour of play. I love it...I'm sold on desktop replacement notebooks. Oblivion plays smooth at 1680 with everything cranked and texture mods.