PDA

View Full Version : Game Profiles

The Bigman
08-31-06, 05:43 PM
I use the game profiles now knowing i can customize things with them. Are these game profiles done on the fly or are they done through the game makers and nvidia?

The reason i ask is when i pick one for a game like FEAR or QUake 4 i can cusomize the regular stuff but SLI is checked and says its predetermand.

rewt
08-31-06, 06:26 PM
nvidia makes most of the profiles themselves. They include compatibility tweaks and predetermined SLI values for best performance in a given game or application. It is not generally necessary to mess with the SLI value (which is why it is locked in Classic control panel), but every once in a while people do find better values than nvidia had set.

The profile should load automatically when the application is run.

Game developers have the option of forcing SLI mode through NVIDIA CPL API (application programming interface), the same way I've done it with NVIDIA Tray Tools. Whether most of them do this or not, I doubt.

The Bigman
08-31-06, 07:37 PM
Thats a given to keep from creating problems with games that use SLI.
I found a good way to make sure if it works is to load a game for awhile exit and go to cpl look at the temps and if the temp on the second GPU is about the same than you its working but if its like 6C cooler than game only uses single GPU.

In the new CP how can you determin the right SLI for games since this option is availble in the new CP?

rewt
08-31-06, 07:51 PM
Thats a given to keep from creating problems with games that use SLI.

And so the game will actually work with SLI. By default, SLI is set to Single GPU Mode. Without a profile, or the developer forcing SLI through the API, the game might only use one GPU.

I found a good way to make sure if it works is to load a game for awhile exit and go to cpl look at the temps and if the temp on the second GPU is about the same than you its working but if its like 6C cooler than game only uses single GPU.

Yup, that works. Also, you could enable the load balancing bars using the multi-GPU applet.

In the new CP how can you determin the right SLI for games since this option is availble in the new CP?

My guess is by trial and error..

The Bigman
08-31-06, 11:29 PM
Thats the rule ive been sticking with so far. in the new CP can changing the SLI setting for a game that predetermand it mess up the game if i force AFR or AFR2 on it?