PDA

View Full Version : KillerNIC

Tuork
08-31-06, 07:02 PM
Anyone heard of this?

The Killer NIC (http://www.killernic.com/KillerNic/)
"killer"...*snicker*.... how lame.

I personally think it's kind of "gee, what else can we sell as 'gamer's hardware'??".. mixed with a bit of "let's make ANOTHER separate card for yet another purpose".

But I might be wrong as hell. :D

nVidi0t
09-01-06, 03:07 AM
It will likely do nothing to improve ping or performance but may double nicely as an intergrated linux firewall.

DataMatrix
09-01-06, 04:06 AM
LOL it's got a heatsink.

gram_vaz
09-01-06, 05:21 AM
Haha, is this that app that's supposed to somehow speed up online gaming? I remember a thread on some forum explaining why that is total bs but i can't be arsed to go dig for it.

retsam
09-01-06, 05:25 AM
you guys should all work for IBM and Sun microsystems...just think all that money and time spent on tcp offloaders was for nought. they could have come to nvnews and talked to all the wiz kids on the board and have been set straight...thanks guys!!! ....

gram_vaz
09-01-06, 05:31 AM
you guys should all work for IBM and Sun microsystems...just think all that money and time spent on tcp offloaders was for nought. they could have come to nvnews and talked to all the wiz kids on the board and have been set straight...thanks guys!!! ....You can't accelerate something that is not within your control. Unless it is some kind of hardware data compression implemented on both ends. This is way too much power for a NIC function. And from what i remember from that thread i mentioned there is only so much network function that you can do on hardware since most network functions are controlled by the OS in software.

retsam
09-01-06, 05:48 AM
You can't accelerate something that is not within your control. Unless it is some kind of hardware data compression implemented on both ends. This is way too much power for a NIC function. And from what i remember from that thread i mentioned there is only so much network function that you can do on hardware since most network functions are controlled by the OS in software.gawd you missed to point of my comment.. all network functions can be offloaded from the cpu(look at cisco high end series layer 1-7 switches all the tcp function are offloaded onto asics)
you can offload all tcp functions from the cpu to a dedicated asic... and yes when you go outside your network you have no control over latency but you do have control over your in house network which anyone with more then one pc knows that when someone in your household starts to download something at the same time your playing...there goes your game...when you have in house QOS controls you can set the priority of the packets inside your house, in conjunction with your router.

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTE1MywxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

A big part of the Killer NIC’s ping reduction technology is based on the fact that it bypasses the Windows networking stack completely. Yes, it is all done in the hardware.

Prioritize Your Gaming Traffic

Recently we saw NVIDIA announce that their nForce 590 chipset could work to prioritize packets giving your selected applications, gaming in this case, to be delivered first. This however only works with outbound traffic. The Killer NIC is boasting the ability to prioritize inbound and outbound network traffic, which could obviously make a huge difference in your games lagging out.
why would nvidia do it if they didnt think there was something to it?

sorry, ive been working in systems for many years and ive been asking why we havent seen hardware offloaders yet. this is something that is very beneficial to anyone that games.

gram_vaz
09-01-06, 05:59 AM
QoS is nothing new... And certainly nothing that requires so much power. Your average gamer does not need this. Hardware accelerated network functions is only useful if you are dealing with network data in the Gigabits.

In real world comparable scenarios we saw pings drop 10ms to 20ms on a broadband connection playing World of Warcraft and Counter Strike Source.lol

retsam
09-01-06, 06:02 AM
QoS is nothing new... And certainly nothing that requires so much power. Your average gamer does not need this. Hardware accelerated network functions like this is only useful if you are dealing with network data in the Gigabits.

lolgawd....no .....noooooo...... forget it ...this is over your head...study up on tcp/ip before you talk about this stuff....

gram_vaz
09-01-06, 06:04 AM
Humor me. What am i getting wrong?

retsam
09-01-06, 06:22 AM
Humor me. What am i getting wrong?when you offload the complete tcp/ip stack onto hardware you completely cut out the need to send data accross the bus and on the cpu. the network card handles all the functions of which traffic should go our first, completly bypassing the need to make calls to the cpu and waiting for responsies. also you have fifo buffers to contend with that (this is were qos comes in) again you dont have to go out to the cpu to make this disscion it can ba made right on the nic leaving the cpu todo other things. jumbo framing benifits greatly from offloaders.( file sharing between machines on the same network segment)

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/chipsets/display/nf4-intel_12.html

http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/chipsets/nf4-intel/ethernet/net-4.png

please look at this artical about the nforce 4 chipset. notice that the nforce 4
has a lower cpu utilization. the nforce4 only has partial stack offloading capabilities. if this was a complete offloader then you would probably see only a 1% cpu utilization.

A by-product of the Killer NIC is the fact that it can also give you better framerates. Yes, there is an element of video performance that can be enhanced by the Killer NIC. The way in which the Killer NIC offloads some of the duties and bandwidth usually picked up by the rest of the system in how it connects and interacts with your online game has given the side-benefit of some systems being able to pick up some frames per second.hardocp said this in there artical.

also what i like about this card is they are rewriting the udp packets to sort of cheat on what the client reports to the server.(ever been kicked for having a higher latency then the server allows).

well as a side note... if you like to file share ...then you can file share at the same time as playing games and have next to zero impact to your gaming experiance.

retsam
09-01-06, 06:25 AM
please dont get me wrong from a techincal end of things this is the right direction to go in when it comes to nics. but the price is just way out of hand... i think these guys are just looking to get the product out into market and then get gobled up by an ATI/AMD type of company that makes there own chipsets.

DataMatrix
09-01-06, 08:04 AM
I believe retsam.

Imbroglio
09-01-06, 11:17 AM
i don't know if the ~$300 can be justified, i might pay half of that for what this card does, but i mean this price is high end consumer networking (personal computer) and i'm going to wait for reviews to see not only if this completely accomplishes what it claims, but also accomplishes it enough to justify the $300 pricepoint

Dr.Nick
09-01-06, 01:19 PM
i don't know if the ~$300 can be justified, i might pay half of that for what this card does, but i mean this price is high end consumer networking (personal computer) and i'm going to wait for reviews to see not only if this completely accomplishes what it claims, but also accomplishes it enough to justify the $300 pricepoint

I agree, the price is insane. I'm sure it would help in a crazy server and some will find cool things to do with all that power but for me, the average WoW/BF2 player and torrent user, I doubt it would do anything to justify its price over onboard or a sweet Intel nic.