PDA

View Full Version : Rejected Warranty!

Pages : [1] 2

crainger
08-31-06, 09:18 PM
OK, here is the story. I had two Sparkle 7800GTs in SLI. One started to play up so I RMA'd it along with the second card under direction from the supplier. Today I heard that they aren't rejecting the claim under warranty due to the fact there is no serial number has been removed from the card. However I can confirm this serial number sticker they are describing didn't exist on this card from day one. I have a friend with the same Sparkle 7800GT as I and his card is also missing the sticker...

WTF?? Is Sparkle pulling some scam to avoid warranty claims?

Does anyone know how I should go about lodging a formal complaint? I'm thinking I'll start with Sparkle and complain about their Australian supplier.

In the meantime, I'm just gonna grab an EVGA 7950GX2. Atleast I know they will have decent support.

retsam
08-31-06, 10:37 PM
contact the better business bureau. did you buy straight from them and is it in the last 30 days or so...if so contact your credit card company and have the charge reversed.

http://www.bbb.org/

Tygerwoody
08-31-06, 10:46 PM
another one bites the dust....

Why do people consistantly buy from these crappy companies? PNY(who is by far the worst)? Sparkle????? I'm not jumping on you craiger, but its the truth. These companies are trash.

Buy from BFG, EVGA, or XFX THATS IT!!!!! ;)

crainger
08-31-06, 11:13 PM

Why do people consistantly buy from these crappy companies? PNY(who is by far the worst)? Sparkle????? I'm not jumping on you craiger, but its the truth. These companies are trash.

Yeah I hear ya. Though you list XFX and last year I had a XFX which died and everyone told me how crappy XFX was. Basically they said

Why do people consistantly buy from these crappy companies? PNY(who is by far the worst)? XFX????? I'm not jumping on you craiger, but its the truth. These companies are trash.

Buy from BFG or EVGA THATS IT!!!!! ;)

Now EVGA have a office in AU I'm going EVGA and nothing else.

I'm also going to contact our Department of Fair Trading and see what I can do there.

Just a quick question. If you had to choose between two 7900GTs and a 7950 you guys would take the 7950 right? Just making sure a EVGA 7950 is what I need :)

CaptNKILL
08-31-06, 11:27 PM
To be honest, I'd recommend a 7900GTX (less headache), but yeah a 7950GX2 would probably be the better price vs. performance of the two choices you gave.

crainger
08-31-06, 11:35 PM
Well in AU the price difference between a 7900GTX and a 7950GX2 is next to nil in most cases. I will keep that in mind though.

Hell I might even checkout a 1900XTX after seeing thier Price vs Performance.

CaptNKILL
08-31-06, 11:48 PM
Well in AU the price difference between a 7900GTX and a 7950GX2 is next to nil in most cases. I will keep that in mind though.
If the price isnt really any different and you're willing to fuss with SLI settings to get games running right, then a 7950 will probably be good. :)

I have to say, the 91.47 drivers (along with nHancer) have greatly improved my experience with this card.

crainger
09-01-06, 12:44 AM
Well I'm now the proud owner of an EVGA 7900GT. Found a local dealer selling them for $450AUD, I talked him down to $400 as it turns out his Wife works where I work. I have another on its way for the same price (Only one left in stock :( ). so $800 for an EVGA SLI system ain't bad compared an EVGA 7950 for $1100AUD. AN EVGA 7900GTX would have set me back about $900.

mike686
09-01-06, 12:56 AM
Mista Sparkle!

http://home.comcast.net/~jeff.ulicny/software/images/mrsparkle.jpg

crainger
09-01-06, 01:11 AM
Mista Sparkle!

http://home.comcast.net/~jeff.ulicny/software/images/mrsparkle.jpg

LOL Believe it or not Sparkle is one of the big players in the Australian IT industry. Their Calibre series has revieced many awards.

Still a lifetime warranty is well worth the extra $50 over a Sparkle 7900GT.

I remember back in the old days when Sparkle made PSU. They were pretty much the OCZ and PC&C of the day I heard them described as the "Mack Truck of PSUs". I still think they make decent cards, their serial number stickers suck ass though.

russ_3d
09-01-06, 01:16 AM

& gainward if you are uk/europe :p

you know you can rely on golden samples

and overclockersUK do nice high-spec cards:thumbsup:

crainger
09-01-06, 01:22 AM
& gainward if you are uk/europe :p

you know you can rely on golden samples

and overclockersUK do nice high-spec cards:thumbsup:

What happened to Gainward? They disappeared for a bit. Were they taken over by Palit or something? I had a great Gainward Voodoo 1 in the day.

CaptNKILL
09-01-06, 02:44 AM
Gainward now only sells in Europe as far as I know. :(

My brother had 3 gainward golden sample cards in a row and they were all excellent pieces of hardware. He had a Geforce 2 Pro 64Mb, a Geforce 4 Ti 4400 128Mb and a Geforce 6800GT. Its too bad they arent available here anymore.

russ_3d
09-01-06, 02:55 AM
im sure you could get them - but you'd probably have to pay inflated uk prices - i always drool when i see how cheap some of your hw gets :(

sorry to take ot

crainger
09-01-06, 02:56 AM
I found a few places selling the Golden Sample 7 series over here, pretty pricey though.

CaptNKILL
09-01-06, 03:10 AM
I remember back in the old days when Sparkle made PSU. They were pretty much the OCZ and PC&C of the day I heard them described as the "Mack Truck of PSUs". I still think they make decent cards, their serial number stickers suck ass though.
They still make great power supplies. :)

I just purchased a Sparkle Flex-ATX 250W rackmount power supply for the Atari project I'm working on.

I think they go by 4 different names though. Sparkle, SPI (Sparkle Power International), FSP and Fortron. I've heard nothing but good things about their power supplies. I remember hearing about their video cards back in the day (3 or 4 years ago) but I cant remember if it was negative or positive. :p

WeisserWalFisch
09-01-06, 03:54 AM
That is bad - i had the same discussion with MSI here in Germany. Sticker gone and burned in GPU heat and RMA was not granted. So i only could throw this GPU - at this time defective nVidia FX 5900 GPU - in the recycle bin :argh: :argh: :argh: . 440 gone - many manufacturers revoke RMA for this reason. Politics far beyond my understanding - if i would manufacture hardware by myself in my garage with the bloke i met in the bar.

nekrosoft13
09-01-06, 07:39 AM
To be honest, I'd recommend a 7900GTX (less headache), but yeah a 7950GX2 would probably be the better price vs. performance of the two choices you gave.

what headache? my 7950 runs with no issues

snowmanwithahat
09-01-06, 12:55 PM

that's funny because when the 5x00 series came out, XFX was a no-name brand taht no one trusted.... and PNY was good then, and i believe they still are, i had a 5900 ultra from them that lasted a year and a half with me, and atleast a year with owa, overclocked 24/7, it was great

nekrosoft13
09-01-06, 01:39 PM
PNY was never good,

what was that other company that used to sell nvidia cards, then went out ouf business, about 1-2 years later came back, and started selling ati cards, i think they are out of business again.

CaptNKILL
09-01-06, 02:24 PM
what headache? my 7950 runs with no issues
For about a month I had to mess with SLI settings constantly to get any games running smoothly. Not everyone will have problems, but with a non SLI card, you simply dont have to worry about any of it. After 91.47 drivers and nHancer though, its much better.

crainger
09-01-06, 07:30 PM
PNY was never good,

what was that other company that used to sell nvidia cards, then went out ouf business, about 1-2 years later came back, and started selling ati cards, i think they are out of business again.

I know the one you mean... It's on the tip of my tongue.

I wish Abit made nVidia cards. They would be pretty decent, if a little boring.

Rytr
09-01-06, 08:23 PM
Sparkle or SPI and Fortron Source are now FSP and have made some of the more dependable PSUs over the years, at least, since the early '90s.

Tygerwoody
09-01-06, 08:39 PM
PNY was good then, and i believe they still are
:rofl: Thats a good one

PNY is by FAR the worst one to buy. Have that 5900 die and check you luck with their "lifetime warranties".

Personally I only buy eVGA. However, if push came to shove and if say EVGA was out of a certain card, I would buy BFG. XFX is probably along those same lines. ANY other brand, I would not dare buy from. I don't care if every video card company goes out of business and PNY was the only one left standing. PNY would rot in hell before they ever got money from me.

saturnotaku
09-01-06, 09:03 PM
PNY was never good,

You're thinking of Visiontek. They're still around and selling ATI cards.

The guys who jumped ship when they stopped making NVIDIA cards formed BFG.