PDA

View Full Version : Test Drive Unlimited - single player component?

saturnotaku
09-01-06, 06:10 AM
I've been reading up on this game and it looks like it has some pretty cool stuff. I'm really digging the car models and the attention to detail they put into them. However, I'm not a fan of the multiplayer aspect, which from what I'm reading, is essentially the entire game.

I'm having a hard time finding out information about what, if any, single-player components there are. Can I do challenges and earn money on my own? I don't do multiplayer because I hate people, and I don't want to drop $40 on this if there's little involved in playing on your own.

agentkay
09-01-06, 08:02 AM
I'm having a hard time finding out information about what, if any, single-player components there are. Can I do challenges and earn money on my own? I don't do multiplayer because I hate people, and I don't want to drop $40 on this if there's little involved in playing on your own.

The demo worked nicely offline so Im pretty sure you dont need to be online at all to get a good value for your money. I did not like handling and feedback of the cars in the demo, PGR3 is a lot better in that aspect, but I might rent the retail PC or 360 version once they will be available.

saturnotaku
09-01-06, 09:05 AM
Thanks for your feedback. :)

I just read an article on Gamespot discussing achievements in TDU and it appears that most of them can be earned offline. Car handling appears to be the biggest criticism thus far. I may go place a pre-order today at EB so I can get access to the Lamborghini Gallardo download, but I'll download the demo this afternoon as well. If I don't like it, I can always cancel the pre-order and get my money back.

It's funny because I haven't played a Test Drive game since #2 for the Commodore 64. This is the first one that's really peaked my interest since then. LOL

agentkay
09-01-06, 06:17 PM
Youre welcome. Actually when I tried the demo I was surprised that the cars were handling very similar to Test Drive 4, the last title in series that I played. Im not sure if its a co-incidence or not, maybe they tried to stay to true to the series and aim further towards the arcarde handling. One feature that I liked a lot was the bike and its (arcarde but nice) handling. It was a lot fun to drive thru the traffic like the infamous Ghostrider. :D

saturnotaku
09-02-06, 07:47 AM
So I did try out the demo...didn't like it one bit. The handling of the cars is arcade-like, but not in a good way like it is in the Burnout series. What breaks this deal for me is that you apparently can't map steering to the d-pad. I hate using analog for steering. :(

npras42
09-02-06, 07:57 AM
Really, that's an odd one on me, I can't play driving games without analog steering and acc./brake.

When I first played with the analog my driving improved massively, being able to make small adjustments smoothly. With the d-pad I always end up correcting myself too much on the straights tapping left left left right left left right right etc...