PDA

View Full Version : High end monitor choices?

JayG30
09-01-06, 02:37 PM
Hey everyone!

Well basically I've been thinking about spending a good deal of money on a monitor. I've always used CRT due to the lack of quality I saw when LCD first was introduced back in the day and for me space was not an issue. Years have gone by now and things have gotten much better. Also with the life span of my CRT monitors really running out I started shopping. I'm looking for something high end and money is really not the issue here (unless your talking several thousands). What I primarily use my screen for currently is work (programming, CAD, office), hobbies (photoshop, 3D animation like Maya, movie encoding), and Gaming (probably as much as my hobbies). What I would like to add to that list is watching DVD's and TV (through tuner card). Both of which I would use VERY often on the monitor if the quality will be good (any feedback on how quality would be comapred to a TV?). My current TV in the computer room is old and small.

So I've been looking at both Apple and Dell monitors. The Apple 30" is actually cheaper for me then the Dell 30" by $4. :p I also was considering buying two Dell 24" or two Apple 23" monitors and using one monitor for movies, tv, or just as my extended desktop...maybe even eventually going to 3 monitors. Only problem I see with multi-monitor is that if your running SLI or some variation doesn't it get disabled in multi-monitor? So to run your system at it's true level you need one monitor? If so maybe I'll stick with the biggest displays I can get like the 30".

I've seen apple monitors in person and ever since they were released a while back I was floored with there quality. I think they would be the best choice for my hobbies (3d animation, photoshop, etc.) but not sure how they handle gaming. I'm sure office work would be fine.

Dell on the other hand I have not seen in person. Something tells me they would be stronger in the gaming front then the apple monitors but not as good for my photoshop and 3d stuff. The only experience I have with Dell monitors is on a laptop that has a 1920x1200 display and it is very nice.

So I'm stuck right now. Dell throws a lot of numbers at you and Apple does not. Apples just look fantastic to me but I haven't compared to any of the high end Dells. I have a Dell 1905FP at work that I use that is nice but not even close to what the Apple look like IMO. So are these the only 2 companies worth looking at? And if so which one would be best?

Thanks for any input guys. I really appreciate it as I just don't have the time to go around and search and read reviews on this.

john19055
09-01-06, 06:24 PM
Either one is going to look great they both have about the same spec's ,two Dell 24" sounds nice too with it's 1000:1 contrast and 6ms gray to gray responce time and it would be cheaper too ,you could get two dell 24" LCD monitors cheaper then one 30" dell from the prices I have seen.Samsung makes some good 24'' LCD monitors too.It best just to go to a store and look at them side by side and then make up your mind,Either way you go ,it is going to be killer.

GamerGuyX
09-01-06, 08:37 PM
It best just to go to a store and look at them side by side and then make up your mind,Either way you go ,it is going to be killer.

Never base the quality of a monitor on the in-store setup.

|MaguS|
09-01-06, 08:39 PM
Sony 24" GDM-FW900

GamerGuyX
09-01-06, 08:46 PM
Sony 24" GDM-FW900

http://www.mastabeta.com/forum/images/smilies/iagree.gif

john19055
09-01-06, 09:10 PM
When I look at them in a store and they are set to there default settings and have the same thing showing on them ,you can useally tell which one looks the sharpest and which one don'nt look as good ,but besides just doing that ,it always best to do your research and see which one has the highest contrast 800:1 1000:1 or better ,the lowest dot pitch .250 or lower ,and responce time like what it will do in milliseconds from gray to gray and black to black, or black to white ,the responce time can be confusioning at least to me some will have 8ms gray to gray and 16ms black to black on the same monitor,so I don't really know what is best to look for .I just try to find one that has the lowest on all of them,if you can even find all that information,most companies put out which ever one is the lowest and that the responce time of that LCD.

|MaguS|
09-01-06, 09:16 PM
http://www.mastabeta.com/forum/images/smilies/iagree.gif

eeeep! I mean... Um...

(I can't agree with GamerGuy... were not suppose to ever agree.... noooooooooooo)

GamerGuyX
09-01-06, 09:21 PM
eeeep! I mean... Um...

(I can't agree with GamerGuy... were not suppose to ever agree.... noooooooooooo)

If I remember correctly, I've owned the FW900 longer than you have. So there is no arguement from me with concerns to the sheer quality of the FW900.

|MaguS|
09-01-06, 09:26 PM
tehehe and its a Sony product! /snicker

GamerGuyX
09-01-06, 09:51 PM
tehehe and its a Sony product! /snicker

I also own a Sony KD-34XBR960 HDTV, Sony PSP, Sony Slim PS2, Sony PS one (with matching LCD), Sony MDR-EX71SL Fontopia earbuds, etc.

Q
09-01-06, 09:54 PM
Never buy anything but an IPS or IPS varient panel if you're picky about color reproduction and viewing angle. If you don't know what an IPS panel is and its advantages over TN and VA, do some research. You'll thank yourself when you're not having to return monitor after crappy ass, expensive monitor that most people say are "great" because they either don't care or think they know more than what they do.

For the record, the Dell 30" IS an S-IPS panel, the 24" is NOT. The Apple 30" is also an S-IPS.

Edit: This site will help you greatly in finding out what monitor has which panel.

http://www.prad.de/en/guide/ausstattung_auswahl.html

|MaguS|
09-01-06, 09:58 PM
I also own a Sony KD-34XBR960 HDTV, Sony PSP, Sony Slim PS2, Sony PS one (with matching LCD), Sony MDR-EX71SL Fontopia earbuds, etc.

Man you take things to seriously... Im just teasing...

GamerGuyX
09-01-06, 10:00 PM
Man you take things to seriously... Im just teasing...

I know. ;)

JayG30
09-01-06, 11:26 PM
Thanks for the help so far guys.

Like I said usually I would do the research but since time is not on my side as of late I'm looking for as much of a head start as I can get. You guys have done just that so far. I'm honestly not one to ask for others help. Usually I just spend as much time as it takes reading through threads and such to get the answers I need.

I know not to just look at the floor models (thats a known fact for anyone into audio/video) as they tend to set up different models in different ways to push sales of one or the other. I know most of the tricks. However it still would be nice to get my hands on a Dell 30". At least then I could mess with the settings and see what it looked like.

I went and checked out the apple 30" and 24" again today as it's been a while. For some reason it didn't look as good. The 24" seemed to have wavy marks in the panel. I thought at first it was just the image on the screen but it was not. The display seems to have something wrong with it. I think they both are suffering from being on display constantly for many years now. I don't think it necessarily has to do with the quality of the monitors because I could remember a time when they looked much better. And they had a newer model sitting out there (less expensive) and it actually looked cleaner thus making me even more sure of my conclusion.

I'm still going to have to decide if I actually need a 30" or if I'll be happy with a 24". The reason I'm considering the larger one more is because of the SLI issue on multi-monitors (which no one really brought up).

I'm going to go check out that sony after writing this as well.

Also as I was saying I'd like this to function as a monitor for DVD and TV watching as well. I had a discussion with someone about this. Basically we came to the understanding that a computer monitor is actually the better solution because of it allows for a higher resolution while computing and can just down res to handle even the highest format of DVD and TV. The only reason you would want to go the opposite way is if you were not happy with just a 30" display (which for me would be enough). Does this seem right???

I ask because I always thought that computer monitors were just built with to much brightness and contrast to really be good TV's. Thus they could not produce the required blacks and shadows needed. Just wondering if I am correct on this. I'd love to hear feedback from people using some of these monitors for televisions and DVD's as well. If it is not very bad I wouldn't mind the trade off for higher res. computing. Plus it would save me from buying more televisions and monitors. Or if anyone would like to try and persuade me to go the opposite way and get a TV that doubles as a monitor feel free.

It's a hard choice really. I think I'm leaning away from the apple monitors though. Something just tells me they will be very poor in gaming. It's sad though because you can't deny that they are very stylish monitors. :)

Again thanks guys and keep the discussion going.

ENU291
09-02-06, 10:13 AM
Sony 24" GDM-FW900
Can you even buy that model anymore?

gram_vaz
09-02-06, 10:48 AM
Can you even buy that model anymore?
Only on eBay it seems. :( I plan on buying a couple of those before they go the way of the dinosaur. I refuse to move to LCDs.

JayG30
09-02-06, 01:15 PM
Hey guys I found a review comparing the apple and dell 30" over at Cnet. The Apple took 3/5 and after I read through it I would ahve actually given it a 4/5. They seem to think the apple is actually slightly better for gaming on. Shocking to me. I couldn't find any other reviews to compare there findings too. The best I could find was the 20" comaparison at anandtech which is not quite the same. So the apple is back in the running I guess.

I checked out the Sony. Very nice CRT but not what I'm looking for this time around. Like I said I've always owned CRT but this time I'm gonna have to go LCD. Reasons why are that I need something slim and attractive this time because this is going to be put onto a desk positioned in the middle of a room. A big backed CRT will just take up to much space for this. If I was going to place it along a wall then I'd probably go CRT. Who knows maybe I'll grab one if I find a good price and build a dedicated gaming machine for it.

Oh and that link someone posted earlier...thank you! That actually helped a lot. They have some very nice reviews there as well. :)