PDA

View Full Version : need cpu/mobo buying advice

nooyawkah
02-15-03, 03:26 PM
In a nutshell, I need new stuff because it looks like I've killed the suckers (CPU & mobo). So what I have now is 512MB of Geil PC 3200 RAM, an MSI Nvidia GeForce 3 TI 200, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz with some nice speakers, True Power 430 and a bunch of fans and lights in a much-loved Lian-Li case. I sure don't need cutting edge as I don't game or OC (but if I bought the 2100+ TBred "B" I might be tempted).

I also have an AlphaPal 8045 in use now, but a new ThermalTake
Volcano 9 sitting around. Any difference?

Anyhow, that's why I need to shop ASAP as I have no working computer but the wife's, which I'm on now.

For example, I thought of this one for sheer stability as I'm beginning to set the record for killing hardware. Or maybe I should spend more to prepare for the future:

http://www.cnetpc.com/productinfo.asp?item=MB-MS6590

Under serious consideration is never again opening my case and setting up an electric fence around it, the thought of overclocking be damned forever.

That's it, oh great sages of technical knowledge. What do you think. I'm presently like a piece of clay and will buy the very first thing that makes any sense at all (then I'll cut up my AMEX card).

vampireuk
02-15-03, 03:39 PM
I would go for the Asus A7N8X Nforce 2 and the XP2200 :cool:

oh and also I'll heave this over to the cpu/motherboard board:cool:

The Baron
02-15-03, 05:03 PM
Or you could get a 2500+ Barton.

nooyawkah
02-15-03, 05:46 PM
Thanks, Vampire. Just one more idea. Reviews are excellent, very stable.:

Epox Motherboard for AMD Athlon/Athlon XP/Duron Processors, Model# EP-8RDA

http://www.mbreview.com/links.php?op=viewslink&sid=310

OR maybe

One other thing. You recommend the 2200+. I realize it gets you into the newer technology. But is it better than the 2100+ which is very overclockable (is this a word?). Or the 2400+ (which is a bit expensive).

vampireuk
02-15-03, 05:52 PM
Well with the release of the barton the prices are dropping like bricks:D

Ebuyer.com will soon be opening in the US so keep a eye out for them. The prices they have rock.

Smokey
02-15-03, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by nooyawkah
Thanks, Vampire. Just one more idea. Reviews are excellent, very stable.:

Epox Motherboard for AMD Athlon/Athlon XP/Duron Processors, Model# EP-8RDA

http://www.mbreview.com/links.php?op=viewslink&sid=310

One other thing. You recommend the 2200+. I realize it gets you into the newer technology. But is it better than the 2100+ which is very overclockable (is this a word?). Or the 2400+ (which is a bit expensive).

Want to get a good overclocker? Go with a T-Bred B 1700+, your sure to get 2GHz or close to it, on air at stock voltage. If you want to raise the voltage, you could get to maybe 2.4GHz on air, and go for that Epox MB :thumbsup:

Also check this thread (http://www.forumoc.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=43888) for more feedback and info on the 1700+

nooyawkah
02-15-03, 10:57 PM
Smokey,
I'll go with either the 1700 or 2100 but I'm really unsure aboutoverclocking. Do you think the nice folks here can help me start?

MUYA
02-16-03, 02:57 AM

Dude I have the KT4-Ultra-SR (ms6950 too) mobo. Whereas, it is stable in terms of normal usage with default settings of fsb etc. You can overclock well if you decent speed ram as you have and so many review sites have. I have coservatively overclocked mineto 141mhz fsb (2100+@1.84ghz)
If you overclock and, u want extreme overclcoking like past 166mhz there are something that make this undesireable in terms of flexibilty. You have bugger all pci to fsb, or memory to fsb settings in the bios. I think Pci clock is automatically divided according to fsb you have upto 1/5. Via have not implemented 1/6 divider for 200mhz operations or so MSI forums say so if you are looking into extreme overclocking that might be a problem for you. I dunno about AGP dividers
My main beef with the MSI kt400 mobo is the lack of memory to fsb ratio settings or divider settings. Which on my older Asus A7v333 has. So consequently if i have fsb at 141 mhz the extra mhz from 141-133=8mhz say will get added to the memory ie in my case 166+8=174mhz. This is the inflexibity about this motherboard's bios. I hope they (MSI) would resolve this as many ppl have been asking for but MSI's stance with this line of motherboard seems to be "thou shall not have memory dividers on this". Unless u have super duper memory (like above pc3200)operations above 166mhz(ddr 333) maybe be limited. Having said that some reviewers have got above 180+mhz with this board also.

Also the power connector to where the PSU connector goes is in a bit of a naff place so that when u connect the psu to the mobo the psu's cables will be hanging over the HSF of the CPU. I have managed to work my way around itw ith great difficulty :)

However, even though I have this mobo and have had via chipsets since the vernerable kt133a, to the kt333, to now the kt400. I will for my next purchase move over to nforce2 or higher (clawhammer maybe?) based solutions and after reading reviews on the web and, hearing from a friend in Hong Kong who sold his Asus KT400 for a Asus nforce2 solution he cannot stop raving about the nforce2. SO maybe you might want to go that way. MSI also have had problems with IDE crc error when copying large files. I have not had it but some users have reoprted that and is have supposed to have been fixed with the latest bios release.

I would also reccomend a higher clocked CPU :) I have the 2100+ clocked @1.84ghz and I can feel it being the bottleneck at time. Perhaps a 2400+ or above maybe a good option for you. But it also depends on your budget I suppose :)

Hope that helps

MUYA

ps- might wanna check this out on nforce2 overclocking
http://www.systemcooling.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=417

Smokey
02-16-03, 06:01 AM
Smokey,
I'll go with either the 1700 or 2100 but I'm really unsure aboutoverclocking. Do you think the nice folks here can help me start?

Well, the T-bred B cores come unlocked to 12.5 multiplyer. So you just set multiplyer to 12.5 and leave the memory at 166, this will give you 2GHz, and maybe be able to do so without raising the voltage, which means temps shouldnt rise much if at all.

ForumOC (http://www.forumoc.com) have great forums when it comes to overclocking.

nooyawkah
02-16-03, 08:02 AM
ps- might wanna check this out on nforce2 overclocking
http://www.systemcooling.com/module...article&sid=417

What a great article. Thanks much.

nooyawkah
02-17-03, 01:19 PM
I wanted to say thanks for the help. I finally decided on a 2100+ T-Bred "B" and an EPOX 8RDA.

But I do have one more question:
I just odered a new cpu and mobo. I know I killed either or both in my system as I had narrowed it down to these 2 parts.

I don't have parts to swap-out so my question is - if I try the cpu first could I damage it using the old mobo? Or conversely, can using the new mobo first do any damage. If I don't have to keep both parts I'd be ahead of the game.

MUYA
02-18-03, 04:29 AM
I wanted to say thanks for the help. I finally decided on a 2100+ T-Bred "B" and an EPOX 8RDA.

But I do have one more question:
I just odered a new cpu and mobo. I know I killed either or both in my system as I had narrowed it down to these 2 parts.

I don't have parts to swap-out so my question is - if I try the cpu first could I damage it using the old mobo? Or conversely, can using the new mobo first do any damage. If I don't have to keep both parts I'd be ahead of the game.

Hey man, u recieved both mobo and cpu and both are dud? man thats rough going. I wouldn't hesistate to use the new stuff immideatly. However the tricky part has always been puttig on the HSF with AMD cpus....they are most susceptable to cracking as I have read on the net if you apply a lil bit too much pressure, I think the inquirer reported that AMD are on some country's bad boy list because of this problem. Becarefull when putting on the hsf and apply the thermal grease/compound carefully and not liberallly. There are some good guides to that. I dunno ecatly where :(. I always invet in a cpu shim though thats also probably why my cpu's are ok too.
I always go gung ho and set up the new stuff but be carefull with settings in bios in particular the fsb, memory etc. AMD cpus are I think not automatically set in bios when u put them in their sockets unlike Intel cpus and boards which have a special diagnosis mode to detect correct fsba nd multiplier settings (not sure). What I mean is that u have to set the fsb manually from a default of 100mhz to the one that your cpu is meant to run on ie 133mhz. Also try memory sticks at different locations...1 at a time and then differing dimm banks. Other than that check every jumper setting is correct too etc. I have never ever had problems as serious as you have mentioned ie parts not working. I did have some stabilty isues with my old asus a7v333 but placing the ram modules in different memory banks helped it.

well if i think I read you correctly , u have my sypmathies. It must be a bummer getting yer stuff and then not working. I hope u get it working soon though.

MUYA

stilllife
02-20-03, 11:20 PM
I just got the epox ep-8rda and love it my old a7n8x had a max fsb of 185 no mater what i did with the epox im at 200 fsb out of the box have not pushed it yet do to im pushing my cpu right now lol AMD 1700xp @ 2300mhz right now 200X11.5

Riptide
02-26-03, 11:48 AM
Damn, not a single person recommended an Intel setup. Guess this really isn't called NVnews for nothing eh? ;)

Shinri Hikari
02-26-03, 07:03 PM
Do you suppose that says something about Intel?;) :D :D :cool:

anxdiety
02-27-03, 03:46 AM
Hrmmm i guess my t-bred 2100 + is different. It posts with only multiplyers of 13 and up. So i kindly just set the fsb on up to 166 and have it running nicely at 2700+ now. I need more voltage and am not about to mod my mobo to get it. I can post and hit windows but i get instant blue screen when i try and run 2800+. I'm using a volcano 9 to cool the beast down as well. Hope you enjoy the nforce 2 set-up. Well worth the premium price considering you get the equivilant of a high end sound card on board as well.