PDA

View Full Version : 8-bit color - black circle around pointer

christamj
09-02-06, 01:24 PM
Hi all- hoping someone knows the answer to this problem-

I'm having trouble playing my favorite game- alpha centauri (yes, I know it is very old, but still my fav) - the problem is when the computer switches to 8-bit color mode a large black circle appears around my pointer- this happens anytime the computer is in 8-bit color, even on the desktop-

I've tried a bunch of old drivers as well as the newest ones, and I also tried a different nvidia card, but all to no avail - has anyone else had this problem, and if so, are there any solutions?

Any help is much appreciated, thanks,
Christa

CaptNKILL
09-02-06, 01:56 PM
I think I've seen this before in some older games. I dont know how to fix it though.

Did you try any of the compatibility mode settings for the program? Right click the .exe, go to properties and then compatibility. You might want to try the Windows 98 compatibility mode and the 256 color setting (which is 8-bit).

If those dont work, you'll probably have better luck doing a google search for "alpha centauri windows xp" or something like that. It was a very popular game, I'm sure there are multiple forums where people offer suggestions on how to get it working on a modern PC.

Q
09-02-06, 02:07 PM
The black circle MIGHT be the mouse shadow. You can disable this to so if it helps by right clicking on "My Computer"--->"Properties". In this window go to the "Advanced" tab, and in the "Performance" section click "Settings". Unlick the box that says "Show shadows under mouse".

If you could spec out the components in your system we might be able to help you out some more! ;)

christamj
09-02-06, 02:28 PM
thanks for the replies! tried the compatability and disabled all shadows, but no luck

system specs are: Windows XP pro SP2,
Athlon XP 1800, 2 GB ddr, TI-4200

I've tried probably 15 different driver versions, all without luck.
The only thing that has worked so far is installing an old ATI card that I have. I've even tried another nvidia card and it has the same problem.

Here's a screenshot of the black circle: (of course the pointer disappeard, but it is directly in the center of that giant circle)

http://www.christajohnson.com/screenshot.jpg

Any ideas?

CaptNKILL
09-02-06, 02:41 PM
Woops, I totaly misread your first post. Sorry about that. :o

I really dont know what that is. I'll look around online a bit.