PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Professional - Installation Question

MusicWriter0984
09-02-06, 07:30 PM
Hi guys. Sorry to bother you with what will most likely turn out to be a simple question.

Right now, I have Windows XP Home edition my laptop (how it came when ordered). For one of my classes this semester, I will need to have XP professional on there. I was able to order XP professional from my college for a very good price.

It is NOT the upgrade version of XP pro. It is the full version. The upgrade version was not availbable to be purchased from the college.

Is there any installation option (or method of installation) available that won't wipe out my file system? I'd like to not have to reinstall the program I already have on there.

Thanks guys.

- MusicWriter0984

|MaguS|
09-02-06, 07:34 PM
You can just "fix" the installation (which would make it pro) but I think theres also an upgrade choice since going from home to pro is an upgrade of sorts.

Question for you, what class requires windows XP Pro?

MusicWriter0984
09-02-06, 07:35 PM
Not a "requirement", but I'm goign to be installing the Oracle database as well as a few other things.

It's a bit of a personal preference, but I feel it is a better choice, and the price was certainly right :-).

Thanks for your help. I wans't sure if there would be any sort of an "upgrade" option if I was installign the full version of XP pro.

GlowStick
09-02-06, 09:04 PM
run the setup (or autoplay) while in windows and you most likely will have an upgrade option. I belive the full version can do both, while the upgrade version can only upgrade.

MusicWriter0984
09-02-06, 10:00 PM
run the setup (or autoplay) while in windows and you most likely will have an upgrade option. I belive the full version can do both, while the upgrade version can only upgrade.

Thanks.