PDA

View Full Version : PSU not giving out enough power or Hard drive problem?

UltraEvo
09-03-06, 02:08 AM
Guys i have a problem with my current rig. My computer sometimes restart itself and i find that my graphics card is not performing up to standard. Everytime i play a game, there will be weird noises from the PSU. My 3DMark2005 results is 2880 only, i expect it to be higher. I checked my graphics card on my friend's computer, it performed better even though their specs are lousier. The benchmark there was smoother, it hit 3200+ 3DMark. So i suspect it is either something is bottlenecking my system or there is something wrong with my PSU. I jus bought a new hard drive but it became worse. Now benchmarks are much slower and my computer restarts more frequently.

Here are m current specs:
AMD64 3000+ 1.8GHZ
GeForce 6600GT
2X256MB RAM
PCI Sound card
S939 Dual Sata MOBO
1 X 40GB HDD 1 X 80GB HDD

Do give some comments, thanks.

UltraEvo
09-03-06, 02:17 AM
Oh yea, my computer usually restarts when i run games, but during stress test demos, it will not restart.

PSYCHODAD
09-03-06, 03:10 AM
512mb is not very much memory if you are playing current 3D games. What psu have you got?

UltraEvo
09-03-06, 03:13 AM
512mb is not very much memory if you are playing current 3D games. What psu have you got?

Hmm, but the benchmarks should not be affected by RAMs? I am currently using AOpen PSU

PSYCHODAD
09-03-06, 03:17 AM
It is certainly possible that your psu is too weak for the system. If possible, try a beefier psu and see if it makes a difference.

UltraEvo
09-03-06, 03:31 AM
It is certainly possible that your psu is too weak for the system. If possible, try a beefier psu and see if it makes a difference.

Hmm, but is 450W too weak for my system??

gram_vaz
09-03-06, 08:59 AM
I have no idea why your getting low scores(if you are indeed getting low scores considering your system, i wouldn't know) but the computer restarting can be a PSU problem. You should be fine with a 400W+ PSU. But it's not just about the rating, get from a name brand. Don't buy any cheap generic PSU.

Rytr
09-03-06, 09:31 AM
What a sticker says does not really mean much. You have to know what the PSU is making available to the rails. Check your bios and look especially at the +12V rail. It should be within 5% spread of 12V reading. Actually, if it is not reading 11.85V or better I would consider replacing the unit.
In the past I have had PSUs that ran at 11.5V and experienced no problems but with the high demand on th +12V rail today I doubt this would be the case. Anything under 11.5V I always experienced some kind of power supply problem.

UltraEvo
09-03-06, 09:50 AM
When i check out the voltae in the bios, it was 12.25V and other ratings were also higher than stated so i don't think it is the problem?

rflair
09-03-06, 10:28 AM
When i check out the voltae in the bios, it was 12.25V and other ratings were also higher than stated so i don't think it is the problem?

Volts should be read with Multimeter, BIOS is usually off.

Also volts aren't as important as Amps, check the amps avaliable on the 12+ line, should be on a sticker on the PSU.

From your description it sounds like a failing PSU.

UltraEvo
09-03-06, 10:30 AM
Volts should be read with Multimeter, BIOS is usually off.

Also volts aren't as important as Amps, check the amps avaliable on the 12+ line, should be on a sticker on the PSU.

From your description it sounds like a failing PSU.

It writes 15A, 2A and 0.5A. Is it ok?

rflair
09-03-06, 10:55 AM
It writes 15A, 2A and 0.5A. Is it ok?

I'll assume that 15A is on the 12+ line, NO its not enough.

From everything you said, especially the adding another hardrive and crashes occuring more often, your PSU is garbage.

UltraEvo
09-03-06, 07:23 PM
I'll assume that 15A is on the 12+ line, NO its not enough.

From everything you said, especially the adding another hardrive and crashes occuring more often, your PSU is garbage.

Yea the 15A is on the 12V line. But the crashes occur sometime before i even have a hd. When i reformated, it seemed ok and after a while more, it started crashing again. I tried removing cd-drives and 1 hard drive but it continues crashing, especially in games.

And what PSU do u recommand me?

UltraEvo
09-03-06, 09:28 PM
Anyway Aopen uses Fortron's PSU. Should give you abit of information on what it is about.

$n][pErMan
09-04-06, 11:45 AM
Id suggest an Antec or a cooler master PSU. They have worked great for me in the past. And yes... it sounds like a PSU problem. And RAM will also effect your benchmarks. You should have at least 1gig or more these days.

UltraEvo
09-04-06, 11:21 PM
[pErMan']Id suggest an Antec or a cooler master PSU. They have worked great for me in the past. And yes... it sounds like a PSU problem. And RAM will also effect your benchmarks. You should have at least 1gig or more these days.

But from toms hardware, it sem that 2GB of Ram and 512MB of Ram does not do any difference in 3DMark 2005.

UltraEvo
09-06-06, 05:59 AM
bump

CaptNKILL
09-06-06, 11:54 AM
Did you try a new PSU yet?

UltraEvo
09-06-06, 10:45 PM
Did you try a new PSU yet?

I do not have any extra PSU, the one i tried was only at 300W, which would not start up at all.