PDA

View Full Version : Optimum temperature??

NeoGeo
02-15-03, 09:33 PM
right, everyone who has any idea, theory, or evidence, please let me know what you think!!!

It was brought up in conversation that my friend has got his CPU running very cool, but then i mentioned i heard about an optimum temperature from somewhere...

he then said "ok, why do people cool there PCs to 0 degrees C etc" my explanation was that when overclocking your CPU is less tolerable, hence the lower temps needed..

now, tell me, do CPUs running at stock run best at a temp of say 40 C, surely anything very cold won't improve performance?

am i talking crap or what?

any thoughts appreciated :)

Adam
02-15-03, 09:36 PM
I think u mean will it still be at optimum preformance... not better proformance

NeoGeo
02-21-03, 08:55 AM
amazing, never thought i could get so many replys!!!

:lame:

really, anyone who has a clue let us know :p

Smokey
02-21-03, 10:59 AM
Ok I'll reply ;)

I think anything under 50c is best, but under 40c is better. Having anything cooler wont increase your performance on a temp vs temp basis. The main reason people like thier pcs running cool is stability, temps play a bigger part when overclocking, as when overclocking you are raising voltages, which in turn raised temps.

NeoGeo
02-21-03, 11:14 AM
that would be logical yeah...

i think that on AMDs website somewhere there is somin about the optimum temperature for their Athlon chips...

must look into that a bit more..

gokickrocks
02-21-03, 01:50 PM
i dont think chip makers provide an "optimum" temperature suggestion...the colder, the better, the more stable...why do you suppose that companies with huge server farms have to air condition the whole room and circulate the air?

NeoGeo
02-21-03, 06:23 PM
yeah, well im sure i've read it before...

AMD suggest the reading from the BIOS should be around 60 - 65 degrees, or lower. Seems a TAD hot for normal operation to me... found that on a pdf from AMDs site after searching for optimum temps...

Kaiser
02-28-03, 09:37 AM
Bit of info I've picked up supporting Compaq servers and desktops.....Pentium 4 Xeon processors have a temp sensor and the system will not boot until they are UP to temperature, definitely not the cooler the better. Having said that, these same servers then have fans which can suck your arm off if you get too close. Didn't really answer anything did I?

Oops.:rolleyes:

Gator
02-28-03, 01:02 PM
no, cooler temperature does not mean better performance. What it DOES mean is your overclocking capability increase as the temperature gets cooler, and of course the cooler your equipment is the longer it can last (theoretically). And finally, you want your CPU under a certain temp for stability sake, but any lower than about 50C your stability should remain the same

when I setup my machine without additional cooling it was averaging 52C. I now run on average 42C because it gives me piece of mind that I am protecting my investiment. I dont wanna have to upgrade until Athlon64 comes out
:nana:

Shinri Hikari
03-07-03, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Gator
no, cooler temperature does not mean better performance. What it DOES mean is your overclocking capability increase as the temperature gets cooler, and of course the cooler your equipment is the longer it can last (theoretically). And finally, you want your CPU under a certain temp for stability sake, but any lower than about 50C your stability should remain the same

when I setup my machine without additional cooling it was averaging 52C. I now run on average 42C because it gives me piece of mind that I am protecting my investiment. I dont wanna have to upgrade until Athlon64 comes out
Not to mention that lowering temps for OCing eventually runs into the law of diminishing returns. For those who don't know, the law of diminishing returns states; After a point that more effort is placed in improving a product does not justify the results.

sytaylor
03-08-03, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by Gator
. I now run on average 42C because it gives me piece of mind that I am protecting my investiment. I dont wanna have to upgrade until Athlon64 comes out

Therein is the reason we all like it cool, your not gonna get better performance from something being cold, heat is just a side product of the circuitry (or wizardry hehe). As gator said the protecting of an investment is the reason coolness is wanted :D