PDA

View Full Version : Which DVD media?

Rayman1968
09-03-06, 04:46 PM
I recently installed a NEC-3550A (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827152056) in my system. Being new to DVD drives and burning, I'm not sure which media to get. +R? -R? Any particular brand I should get?

Q
09-03-06, 05:41 PM
I like -R...a lot of people swear by +R...

In reality, it all depends on what devices you'll be using it on. Buy a few of each and see how they go for you. Very few devices have issues playing either type, so you shouldn't have any problems. You'll probably have a bigger problem with cheapo DVD's then the difference between + and -.

Infinity666
09-04-06, 12:36 AM
I like -R...a lot of people swear by +R...

In reality, it all depends on what devices you'll be using it on. Buy a few of each and see how they go for you. Very few devices have issues playing either type, so you shouldn't have any problems. You'll probably have a bigger problem with cheapo DVD's then the difference between + and -.

-r verbatim

Roadhog
09-04-06, 12:37 AM
Whats the difference between -R and +R? I've never really seemed to figure it out.

CaptNKILL
09-04-06, 01:01 AM
Just two different formats designed by different companies as far as I know. I dont know what the technical difference is, but something tells me they arent anywhere near as different as "minus" or "plus" anything.

I've used both kinds and never had problems. I still have about 20 +Rs left from the first 50 pack I bought like a year ago. :p

Absu
09-05-06, 04:14 PM
I'm not 100% sure so don't kill me if wrong..

-R uses the official specs and DVD logo. +R was designed by some companies to avoid paying the royalties to the -R people.
That's way oversimplified but I don't have time atm to look it all up :P

I've read that -R is more compatible for older devices that were out before DVD-+R's but most things now shouldn't have any issues with either.

I use -R now just for the hell of it.

Riptide
09-05-06, 04:25 PM
- or + R doesn't really matter much IME.

I use Ritek for DVD5 (single layer) and Verbatime for DVD9 (dual layer).

|JuiceZ|
09-05-06, 04:41 PM
Use -R media for more compatibility among older DVD players, otherwise just use whichever format burns the quickest.

DarkJedi664
09-05-06, 05:05 PM
I've had better results with +R and DVD Players. I just buy +R now a days, plus it's cheaper.

Rakeesh
09-05-06, 05:39 PM
+R burns faster as a general rule, -R is more compatible with older players.

But who needs compatibility when $20 wal-mart dvd players mop the floor with older (Pre +R) $400 players?

Do what I always do, buy a ħR burner and when you need new discs, you can always just buy whatever is on sale. ħR burners are very cheap nowadays, I bought mine for $40, and it is a damn good burner.

ENU291
09-05-06, 06:28 PM
AFAIK the NEC burns +R faster.

j0j081
09-06-06, 08:16 AM
If you are talking about brands Verbatim is one of the best. Just check out the forums at afterdawn.com they are really picky over there and almost always choose it.

wnd
09-08-06, 09:17 AM
As far as I know + should be technically better (http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/113). Personally I have no idea about that but until someone proves the claim wrong, I'll go with that.

Besides that I can have my home directory backed up with "growisofs -R /home/wnd" when using DVD+RW. For some reason (some wise man could explain me why) using DVD-RW isn't that simple. Then again I know next to nothing about writable DVDs.

nekrosoft13
09-08-06, 10:43 AM
One of my favorite subjects that so many people are un-educated about ;)

Make sure you read this!

Let’s start with verbatim; verbatim in USA is old with either MCC or MKM media codes. In Europe is sold with MCC, MKM and very rarely yuden.

Now let’s break it down, not a single verbatim made in Taiwan or India, is real Mitsubishi media, those can be bought only Japan. There are 3 companies that make disc for Verbatim: CMC, Prodisc, both from Taiwan, and Moser Baer from India.

CMC made disc can be recognize by having a serial number that start with PAPA on the under hub.
Prodisc have a "-" in the middle of the serial number for -R, and "+" in middle of serial number for +R
Moser Baer is the only verbatim made in India, so it should be easy to figure out.

Yuden codes, are from Japanese manufacture called Taiyo Yuden, those are the ultimate quality.

When it goes between CMC, Prodisc and Moser, most people have the best results with CMC manufactured verbatim.

CMC also sells disc for HP, Maxell, Memorex, TDK etc.., but those CMC disc are made with CMC processing steps, and are much much much lower quality. When CMC makes disc for Verbatim (Mitsubishi) they have to use Mitsubishis dye and processing steps.

Moser is the worst of the much, some Moser disc burn ok, while rest burn with very high error rates, those disc will still be readable, but not for long. And will result in slower read speed and or skipping in stand alone DVD players.

Ok, enough about Verbatim.

Best disc on the market are Japan made Taiyo Yuden, you can find them in few stores, sold as either Panasonic (Made in Japan), Sony (made in Japan), Fuji (made in Japan). You can also buy them online, in most good media stores.
But be careful when you buy them from, Taiyo Yuden right now is the most demanded media from everyone that knows their media, allot of China and Hong Kong media manufactures are faking Taiyo codes. Buy Taiyo Yuden only from trusted source.

Few other good medias, include: Maxell (made in Japan) MXL codes, few variations of Prodisc.

When it comes to Ritek, oh god don't even get me started on Ritek. Ritek used to be good back in 2x and 4x days. When 8x era started and they rolled out G05 codes, those discs had the worst corrosion and degrading so fast, most didn't last a year.
Go to cdfreaks.com, tell them you like Ritek media, and 95% of people will laugh at you.

DL media, plain and simple answer, there is only media that matters, Verbatim made in Singapore with MKM codes. Don't even think about wasting money on TDK, Memorex, Sony, or any other cheap DL media, it’s all Ritek.

To sum it up

Number one Media = Taiyo Yuden (Taiyo Yuden Bulk, Panasonic (Japan), Fuji (Japan), Sony (Japan), rare Verbatim (Europe only))
Number two Media = Maxell (Japan), Verbatim (CMC and Prodisc aka Taiwan made), Few Prodisc (Maxell), Taiwan made Sony.
Number three Media = few other Prodisc codes, some CMC (Maxell)

Don't Bother Media = rest of CMC media (old dye), Most Memorex

Imbroglio
09-08-06, 04:04 PM
+ are for media, dvda, video-dvds, etc (para dvd players)
- are for storage and everything else (para dvd standards)

alot of the new dvd video recorders use +'s because for some reason dvd players have less of an issue with them

DarkJedi664
09-08-06, 04:50 PM
Odd, I haven't had a single problem with any Ritek discs at all. And I still have DVD movies that were burned on Ritek that still play, over a year later.

nekrosoft13
09-08-06, 07:04 PM
then its about time to head to cdfreaks.com, and get some education

DarkJedi664
09-08-06, 07:07 PM
*shrugs*

I'm not saying I don't believe you, I'm just telling you my experience with it.

Rayman1968
09-08-06, 07:24 PM
I ended up buying some Maxell +R's. They've worked fine so far.

Shamrock
09-08-06, 09:40 PM
To answer your Question, I prefer Taiyo Yuden, they invented the recordable CD, I think they know what they're doing. And according to the link below, TY is their favorite too.

There ARE NO Discernable compatability differences. and no, +R's DO NOT burn faster, if it says 8x, BOTH burn at the same speed!

DVD-R was developed by Pioneer. It is designed to be a recordable format compatible with DVD Video players and DVD ROM drives. This standard was approved by the DVD Forum and has been adopted by many DVD equipment manufacturers. Due to the fact that such standards are based on numerous patents, where the licensing of these patents costs manufacturers who do not own the patents substantial royalties in order to produce compatible equipment or media, a separate consortium of manufacturers decided that their financial interests would be best served by developing a competing recordable format. This format is known as DVD+R. The consortium is known as the DVD+RW alliance.

It is hard to say that one format is better than the other. Neither have significant advantages over the other. Both are good but not perfect in terms of their ability to create discs that are playable in most standalone DVD players. The bottom line is that you should pick a burner that suits your requirements, and buy media designed for your burner. The good news is that there are new burners such as Pioneer106 or Pioneer 107 that now support both -R and +R.

http://www.supermediastore.com/dvdmediafaq.html

russ_3d
09-09-06, 06:51 AM
tdk really annoyed me - they had their discs coated with a really neat scratchproof covering (DURABIS) - all of these discs play like a charm - and havent scratched one bit.

they are now only manufacturing durabis wth blu-ray discs :thumbdwn:

edt* and mini-dvd - but im guessing these are lots of money

j0j081
09-10-06, 07:26 AM
To sum it up

Number one Media = Taiyo Yuden (Taiyo Yuden Bulk, Panasonic (Japan), Fuji (Japan), Sony (Japan), rare Verbatim (Europe only))
Number two Media = Maxell (Japan), Verbatim (CMC and Prodisc aka Taiwan made), Few Prodisc (Maxell), Taiwan made Sony.
Number three Media = few other Prodisc codes, some CMC (Maxell)

Don't Bother Media = rest of CMC media (old dye), Most Memorex
Okay I've heard Taiyo Yuden is the best but you are saying all the people over at afterdawn.com who swear by Verbatim are wrong to.

nekrosoft13
09-10-06, 12:49 PM
verbatim is good too, but doesn't match Taiyo.

and stay away from Made in India Verbatim