PDA

View Full Version : I have done the retarded

Pages : [1] 2

jAkUp
09-03-06, 08:41 PM
I got so fed up with the snap crackle and popping on my X-Fi Fatal1ty, I went out and bought an Elite Pro today :o

I dunno if this will actually fix it, but it was a risk I was willing to take, visually, the cards look different, I guess because of the DAC's on the Elite Pro.

Anyways, I will update and let you guys know if this one snaps and pops like my Fatal1ty. This card is Revision B, my 1 year old Fatal1ty was revision A, I have even replaced my Fatal1ty once, with the same issues.

UPDATE:
It didn't fix it :( Seems that maybe the popping isn't as bad, but its still there.

Roadhog
09-03-06, 08:45 PM
you are crazy! hope it works... Would you be willing to sell your fatality?

jAkUp
09-03-06, 08:47 PM
you are crazy! hope it works... Would you be willing to sell your fatality?

Yup. Hows $200? The breakout box and remote are completely unused, only thing used is the card.

Well, it didn't fix the popping, so I guess this is a chipset issue. I just hope my Core2 setup fixes it because its really bugging the hell out of me.

Roadhog
09-03-06, 09:15 PM
cool, I think one of my friends might be interested.

Rakeesh
09-03-06, 09:23 PM
Yup. Hows $200? The breakout box and remote are completely unused, only thing used is the card.

Well, it didn't fix the popping, so I guess this is a chipset issue. I just hope my Core2 setup fixes it because its really bugging the hell out of me.

I really doubt this is a chipset issue, it sounds like a combination of factors, including hardware and software configuration. Changing your chipset may fix it, but I don't think there is a 100% chance of this happening.

Roadhog
09-03-06, 09:40 PM
I really doubt this is a chipset issue, it sounds like a combination of factors, including hardware and software configuration. Changing your chipset may fix it, but I don't think there is a 100% chance of this happening.

well it only happens on nforce4 chipsets i think

jAkUp
09-03-06, 09:44 PM
Some people with 590's are getting it too... but NForce4 chipsets are the worst.

|MaguS|
09-03-06, 10:42 PM
What cracking and popping? I haven't noticed any sound artifacts since I got my X-Fi.

OrangeBlast
09-03-06, 11:04 PM
I have the Elite Pro but I think its the first revision...I got it when it first came out....I have don't have it that bad (the popping and hissing and distortion and white noise sound etc...)

BUT, I do get it still...I get what sounds like an Audio CD skipping in BF2....and ocasionally I'll get random repeated white noise...just out of no where....like in XP when I'm simply browsing online or such....

Should go see the all out war people are having against Creative Labs on the forums...i'll make it easy for you:
http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board?board.id=soundblaster

Creative has adressed that the popping is an issue but its blaming it on Nvidia based chipsets/mobo's. BTW and new driver release came out for all cards except the Elite Pro (their flagship/most expensive/top of the line)....Its been about a full month or so since the driver release and still have yet to release the updated driver to the Elite Pro users.

There are all types of company bashings going on-on the forums. But honestly...I side w/ them....there is no support from that company.

terrible.

Rytr
09-03-06, 11:16 PM
I just upgraded the on-board Audigy, which was OK, with an X-Fi Platinum card on my NF4. Results are excellent with my 595's or Klipsch 4.1 speakers. I have experienced no popping, hissing/distortion, or white noise? Is it associated with specific games or what?
Years ago I got away from Creative for just the some of the problems you seem to be talking about...I do not want to go thru that again.

ragejg
09-03-06, 11:51 PM
Santa Cruz 4eva!!!1

...unless Vista hates it, lol

seriously I've never had on cracle or pop on this card... I've had it for two years.. it replaced an Audigy1, and I haven't gone Creative since...

Bearclaw
09-04-06, 01:20 AM
How is it working so far Jakup?

BioHazZarD
09-04-06, 06:54 AM
Damn so this still is not resolved for nforce4 chipsets ? i wanna buy one but not when there is a big chance of the popping crackling issues.

Rytr
09-04-06, 09:50 AM
For those not experiencing the popping/crackling sound here are some samples: http://www.digitaldynamo.net/x-fi/

I have tried a X-Fi Platinum on MSI K8N Dianmond and EPOX 9NPA+ SLI nForce4 motherboards as well as MSI P4N and ASUS P5LD2 Deluxe motherboards and I have not been able to reproduce the problem.

Creative's explanation (dated July...should be something newer) can be found here: http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=soundblaster&message.id=61926&view=by_date_ascending&page=122

Xion X2
09-04-06, 11:00 AM
Score one for Creative. A lineup of soundcards that give you audio distortion all through your games. And a 200$ pricetag to boot.

Haven't had any problems with my Xplosion so far, and you can't beat true surround. The overall audio output isn't as good, but I don't get any popping and true 5.1 surround beats regular stereo any day of the week, IMO. It's great for gaming, bad for music playback (although music playback is decent, it doesn't compare to Creative's.)

Rakeesh
09-04-06, 12:01 PM
For those not experiencing the popping/crackling sound here are some samples: http://www.digitaldynamo.net/x-fi/

Damn, thats even worse than I imagined it would be. I was thinking it would be a bit more subtle and something you had to listen for. If I owned one of those cards I would be pissed and demand a refund, or start a class action or something.

Riptide
09-04-06, 12:26 PM
Auzentech FTW! :)

jAkUp
09-04-06, 12:39 PM

I have tried a X-Fi Platinum on MSI K8N Dianmond and EPOX 9NPA+ SLI nForce4 motherboards as well as MSI P4N and ASUS P5LD2 Deluxe motherboards and I have not been able to reproduce the problem.

Creative's explanation (dated July...should be something newer) can be found here: http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=soundblaster&message.id=61926&view=by_date_ascending&page=122

Yup, but to be honost, I really don't hear it much in anything else but games, I have also noticed that the games with better sound effects, like EAX, and X-Fi support are worse. BF2 and F.E.A.R. are really bad, and the popping noises really only occur when I hear gunfire from a different room like muffled gunfire.

But thats exactly what the popping sounds like. I am willing to live without however, because beside the popping noises the sound is amazing, leagues ahead of my Audigy 2 ZS (which didn't have popping)

|MaguS|
09-04-06, 12:47 PM
Thats weird jAkUp, We have the same motherboard and yet I don't get any issue with popping sounds. I blame your PhysX Card...

jAkUp
09-04-06, 12:48 PM
heh well I have had this problem for a very long time, almost a year now.

I once heard somebody say that it only occurs on the 64MB models.. not sure if this is true, but I sure as hell am not spending any more money on this..lol

|MaguS|
09-04-06, 12:49 PM
Sell your Fatality and return your Elite and just get the Plat!

Rytr
09-04-06, 02:33 PM
On the Creative site one person said their popping started after about 3 months. I hope that is not the case as I am very happy with the sound quality both in games and listening to music with this card and the 595's.

Xion X2
09-04-06, 03:11 PM
Posted by jakup

BF2 and F.E.A.R. are really bad, and the popping noises really only occur when I hear gunfire from a different room like muffled gunfire.

Have you tried messing with the volume setting? Not on the stereo but on the Creative audio control panel, I mean. The reason I ask is that you say you only hear it during gunfire.

When I still had my Creative cards (Audigy 2 & 4), sometimes I would get distortion in the sound, but it only happened in really loud places like where there was gunfire or explosions in BF2, especially. Sound would also distort when planes flew really low. Later on, I found out this was due to having the volume set too high in the control panel. I think I had the wave setting too high. It was either that or the main volume. Once I adjusted it to about 2/3, the distortion went away.

The Bigman
09-04-06, 03:58 PM
I can't believe i went through all this too. I think buying an Nforce 4 bases board was the worst thing i done. I should of got an Intel 975 or Via but Via isn't creatives friend either so.

Smokey
09-04-06, 06:02 PM
Well I can confirm that with the setup in my rig I get 0 popping and or distortion with my sound.

jAkUp, try to think back to around the sametime that you started having this problem, is there any other new peice of hardware you put in your pc? Is this happening in XP/XP64 or both? Could it be a process running in the background maybe? As I stated, I dont have any popping at all, this includes BF2 and FEAR!