PDA

View Full Version : Game lockups

UltraEvo
09-04-06, 02:57 AM
Whenever i am play a game, my computer will just restart automatically. And this happens during full screen applications. If it is just a windows mode stress test, it will not restart by its own. Anyone have any ideas about this??

Here are m current specs:
AMD64 3000+ 1.8GHZ
GeForce 6600GT
2X256MB RAM
PCI Sound card
S939 Dual Sata MOBO
1 X 40GB HDD 1 X 80GB HDD

Do give some comments, thanks.

jAkUp
09-04-06, 02:59 AM
What kinda powersupply do you have?

UltraEvo
09-04-06, 03:13 AM
I have a AOpen 12V 2.0 PSU.

UltraEvo
09-04-06, 10:43 AM
Bump

|MaguS|
09-04-06, 11:14 AM
What motherboard Brand? Whats the wattage of your PSU? What Soundcard?

How about drivers? What version for each of your hardware?

UltraEvo
09-04-06, 11:47 PM
What motherboard Brand? Whats the wattage of your PSU? What Soundcard?

How about drivers? What version for each of your hardware?

My mobo is a ASRock 939 Dual Sata, the PSU is 450W and a normal C-Media PCI soundcard. The drivers are all updated except for the graphics card since the latest 1 gave me much more problem.

Here are the driver versions:
PCI sound card - 5.12.1.639
Graphics card - 8.1.9.5

ViN86
09-05-06, 12:31 AM
Memtest86 (http://www.memtest86.org)
run this through 5 times. if you get no errors, run it overnight to check it out. if that passes, then its not your memory. in my experience, ppl always overlook their memory as a possibility, and for me, errors are usually memory based.

also, take off all of your overclocks (if any).

do you ever get a "Windows has recovered from a crirical error" messages?
also, you can check the event viewer, that should tell you if you have any critical errors with respect to vid card drivers or windows or whatever.

that PSU should be more than enough, but it could be shoddy. check your voltage levels in BIOS and let us know.

UltraEvo
09-05-06, 02:55 AM
Memtest86 (http://www.memtest86.org)
run this through 5 times. if you get no errors, run it overnight to check it out. if that passes, then its not your memory. in my experience, ppl always overlook their memory as a possibility, and for me, errors are usually memory based.

also, take off all of your overclocks (if any).

do you ever get a "Windows has recovered from a crirical error" messages?
also, you can check the event viewer, that should tell you if you have any critical errors with respect to vid card drivers or windows or whatever.

that PSU should be more than enough, but it could be shoddy. check your voltage levels in BIOS and let us know.

I am running the memtest for quite a while, but till now there are still no errors. Will continue running it.

Firstly how do i check the event viewer? And i actually check through the bios and the voltage levels are higher than my current ratings. It should be ok then...

Anyway, this restarting happen in the past and after i upgraded and reformatted, it was ok. But now it is starting again. The only things i did not change was my gfx card, RAM, cd-drive and sound card. The hard drive was not changed too but i just bought a new one and it was the same so i do not think it is the hard drives fault.

Stoneyguy
09-05-06, 05:04 AM
heat?

UltraEvo
09-05-06, 07:00 AM
heat?

Nope i have monitored both my cpu and mobos temp and they are normally under 40 deg idle and 50 deg full load.

Stoneyguy
09-05-06, 07:41 AM
maybe go into your mobo bios and set your AGP to 4x and see if that helps.

UltraEvo
09-05-06, 07:58 AM
Sadly i have tried that and the same thing still happens... I found out that whenever i play a game, there will be a hissing sound from my PSU. If i were to alt tab it, the hissing sound stops. Similary if there is lag, the hissing will stop till the lag goes away, it starts again. Is this normal or is there something wrong with my PSU.

UltraEvo
09-05-06, 08:44 PM
bump

UltraEvo
09-05-06, 09:17 PM
http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/6277/voltagehj9.th.png (http://img49.imageshack.us/my.php?image=voltagehj9.png)

This are my voltages during idle. After monitoring the voltages in game, i find that it will drop from 12.22v to 12.16v. Is that normal? But it will rise back a while later to 12.22v if i alt tab out of the game.

UltraEvo
09-06-06, 07:28 AM
bump