PDA

View Full Version : 7950GX2 + Vista RC1 5600..anyone?

Pages : [1] 2

K007
09-05-06, 07:02 AM
Did anyone try it out? Cause i only have a GX2 as my PCI-E gpu and i think it is the reason why i cant get into the OS after first reboot (installtion was fine).

Error msg is nvldkmnm.sys.

Installed to a seperate HDD with 50GB Partition. I can go into Safe mode..but since the installtion is incomplete it tells me the msg and asks me to reboot/complete installtion..so i can assume it has to be the GX2.

Cant install the latest 96.33 either since installtion is incomplete..anyway to put the new drivers into the cd?

I tried copying the files to the system32/inf..but it didnt help..i dont think it would have but since what eva VIsta has with the GX2 it craps out with those drivers..probably cause of SLI...and no way to make the GX2 run in single mode without the driver in the OS..

Any other GX2 owners report? I saw someone said he ran into same problem and he used a 7600 pci-e to get into it...

Kinda dissapointed no one at Microsoft uses a GX2..or nvidia didnt bother to look it up..hopefully the next RC1 (Proper) will have it fixed..without that fix GX2 cant install it

I forgot to mention..somethign was a bit odd..after reboot installtion when the OS bar was moving...the top was missing..lol? Like no Windows Logo...bottom bar was moving..

Also forgot to add i was afk during the installtion...(eating) i read that others also came across random reboot near the end..i am wondering if its a incomplete installtion...oh well ill try again tommorow..i only got home from work and wanted to try it out -.-..QQ

This to try tommorow.
- Try get upates via online (or something similar to that option..i unchecked it i think).

I saw someone else on the guru3d saying samething bsod on his 7950 with some nv..error

Ok i found out why it did it. It is the GX2
I fixed this issue, apparantly the way I made the partition it didnt like. I downloaded Partition Magic 8 and made a new partition for Vista and it stopped giving that error. Instead, it started giving the nvlddmkm.sys BSOD. Finally, I tried removing my 7950GX2 card and putting in my old 7800GT . That fixed the problem.

Apparantly, Vista does not like the 7950GX2 video card in its current form.

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=492280&view=findpost&p=587845175

nekrosoft13
09-05-06, 07:27 AM
there will be no RC1 (proper), 5600 is RC1, end od story.

gx2 is a card that uses SLI technology, Vista doesn't support SLI or crossfire yet

Blacklash
09-05-06, 09:56 AM
there will be no RC1 (proper), 5600 is RC1, end od story.

gx2 is a card that uses SLI technology, Vista doesn't support SLI or crossfire yet

Glad I still have a X1900 XT just in case.

candle_86
09-05-06, 10:24 AM
yea SLI and CF support are on the bottom rung right now, they need to get the major bugs fixed, then they will get the rest working.

K007
09-05-06, 10:29 AM
Atleast they cauld have made a Single GPU version of the GX2? Since i cant get into safe mode to disable one of the gpus which does the trick to get the Aero to work with the 7950 (only one gpu)..i have no luck :(..no safe mode till i actually finish the entire installtion...so close lol..

I am sure..for testing purposes they cauld easy make the GX2 have a single gpu mode..quiet a few people use the GX2 because of the GT/GTX failurs..those with failed cards swithced to it -.-

karri
09-07-06, 10:40 AM
Windows Vista RC1 installed just fine on my system with 7950 GX2 as only display adapter. The fans on card did blow on full until I installed newest display drivers tho. Naturally only shows as a single card with no SLI support whatsoever.

DarkJedi664
09-07-06, 11:04 AM
The Vista nVidia drivers do NOT support SLi right now. Wait for RTM.

K007
09-07-06, 05:47 PM
Windows Vista RC1 installed just fine on my system with 7950 GX2 as only display adapter. The fans on card did blow on full until I installed newest display drivers tho. Naturally only shows as a single card with no SLI support whatsoever.

How exactly do u tell Vista to only install 1 of the gpu drivers?

arg0
09-07-06, 05:58 PM
I haven't been able to install myself. Is it possible to slipsteam the drivers? Anyone with any other ideas? To those who did install it... HOW?

oxygen2k
09-07-06, 07:12 PM
I also got no boot logo and couldnt complete the installation..
I even tried to extract the 96.33-installer and rename/copy the files (like nvlddmkm.sys and a few other) to the correct folder (C:\windows\system32\drivers\). but i couldnt get it to work.
maybe someone has an idea?

K007
09-08-06, 05:03 AM
I assume AERO thing uses SLI..so hence why it crashes/bsod/blank screen...

K007
09-08-06, 06:52 AM
If have my 7950X2 up and running now in RC1. WoW runs great, with better framerates than in XP, but then I can't check the quality settings in RC1...

What I did was:

- Install Vista on a extra partition, do all steps until after "extracting files". Then the PC reboots.
- Don't boot into Vista, but into XP. You will get a "Installation failed" message, ignore it. Unpack the latest Nvidia drivers for Vista and copy the contents to the windows\system32 folder of your Vista partition.
- Reboot and boot into Vista
- Setup will continue and use the NEW drivers.
- Enjoy Vista RC1 :)

Cant be 100% sure..but i think it will do the trick -.-..posted on Guru3d. Check it out..i will try this again tommorow..but i dont need it as i found another way to get it to work..but since i cant use my isp software to login to my cable i cant use the net..which = poo

wavemachine
09-08-06, 07:25 PM
Cant be 100% sure..but i think it will do the trick -.-..posted on Guru3d. Check it out..i will try this again tommorow..but i dont need it as i found another way to get it to work..but since i cant use my isp software to login to my cable i cant use the net..which = poo

Pardon my ignorance but how exactly do you unpack the driver?

Rieper
09-08-06, 07:31 PM
Pardon my ignorance but how exactly do you unpack the driver?

It's pretty simple, if you have WinRar or WinZip already installed.

Just right-click on the drivers and select extract to...

See here:
http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/7287/untitled1gx5.jpg

wavemachine
09-09-06, 04:18 AM
It's pretty simple, if you have WinRar or WinZip already installed.

Just right-click on the drivers and select extract to...

Ah ha thanks, really simple when you know how;)

Many thanks for the reply.

jAkUp
09-10-06, 01:43 PM
I'm just waiting for Quad support then I will switch over :D

nekrosoft13
09-10-06, 01:53 PM
i would probably switch too if not for the video driver

wavemachine
09-10-06, 01:57 PM

Well I tried the Guru3d suggestion but still no go, still the black screen.

I was using 64 bit vista so may try 32 bit and see if there is any joy there!

jabloomf1230
09-12-06, 09:42 PM
Well I tried the Guru3d suggestion but still no go, still the black screen.

I was using 64 bit vista so may try 32 bit and see if there is any joy there!

The Guru3D workaround did not work for me for Vista x64 either. It was a good idea, but at least on my PC, the Vista setup program only reboots BEFORE the files are expanded, which does you no good. Once the installation completes, it won't boot properly, even if you update the 4 nVidia files with those in 96.33. MS should have called this release beta3 not RC1.

K007
09-13-06, 04:39 AM
It didnt work for my 32bit either anyway..

I think it is because the driver is unsigned..so it wont auto install those drivers..isntead uses the signed drivers which come with Vista?..

gizmoy2k
09-13-06, 11:21 AM
You do know that disabling one of the cards in device manager while in safe mode allows you to run vista perfectly fine, all be it with one gpu.

Im sure i read this tip here, mibbe not :p

wavemachine
09-13-06, 12:03 PM
Well I managed to get it working in the end.

Here is what I did:-

In WinXP I ran the 96.66 setup program which unpacked all the drivers from the exe to a seperate directory.

From the command prompt I ran expand on the nvidia files and moved them into a new folder, I believe I had to rename some of the file extensions from .xm_ to .xml .dl to .dll etc.

I then renamed the folder the drivers were in to system32 highlighted it and pressed control c to copy the folder to the clipboards.

I then launched the setup program from the Vista DVD from within windows xp and proceeded with the install to a separate partition.

When it was copying files I opened up my C:\ drive and it had created a couple of $windows directories. One contains more files than the other in a directory called source.

I opened the source directory in the one that contains the most files and watched it whilst the installer was going.

When the installer started expanding files a Windows directory appeared (I pressed F5 regularly to refresh it) at this point I press control v to paste the System32 directory in there from the clipboard.

A few seconds later the PC rebooted and carried on with the Vista install and I was able to login and apply windows updates etc.

I took the precaution of re-installing the NVidia drivers but it has worked fine Aeroglass effects and all.

gizmoy2k
09-13-06, 12:20 PM
So this makes it work fully, BOTH cards enabled in device manager?

Full SLI ????

wavemachine
09-13-06, 12:23 PM
So this makes it work fully, BOTH cards enabled in device manager?

Full SLI ????

I am not sure if it gives full SLI but at least it got me past the black screen I was getting when trying to install it on my GX2.

I did have a look at the nvidia control panel but could not see any SLI options and I haven't benchmarked it.

gizmoy2k
09-13-06, 01:11 PM
hi there

I just done this without reinstalling as i had vista working by disabling 1 of the GX2s in safe mode.

Now after doing this i only have 1 GX2 visable in device manager (had 2 before) and if i goto nvidia control panel > Help > System information is sees only 1 card ay x16 with 512mb Ram.

Anyone else confirm this? I guess its still the case that its basically the drivers that dont support sli yet, no matter how you get it working